Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Investing in rental properties? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats why i have not done it. If i buy a shop / office / warehouse how long does it take to find a tenant v's a 1 bed apartment
Quote Reply
Re: Investing in rental properties? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In order to be properly diversified in commercial real estate you have to be a BIG fish (as an individual). Not so much in residential.
Quote Reply
Re: Investing in rental properties? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Annual capital growth of 8-10% would change the equation. Here in Texas property value increases have hit that for the past couple of years, but traditionally has been far lower. For now I find the investment side simpler to deal with, but seeing large property value increases makes one wonder.
Quote Reply
Re: Investing in rental properties? [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a rental house down the street from where I live. I've had the same family there for over three years. The first two years were good but for the last 10-12 months rent doesn't show up unless I ask for it. The father lost his job a few months ago and hasn't been able to find another one yet. I still haven't been paid for this month and we talked last night about how we're going to move forward. I told him I'd rent it at my cost this month and next but they need to be out by April 1st. He's a good guy who's in a hard situation, and you have to be willing to have some hard conversations if things are not working out.

TLDR: For three years my rental has gone great but I had to tell man to move his family out after he lost his job a few months ago and cannot make rent.

*Unless you have plenty of money I recommend making sure you put enough money down so you have positive cash flow each month. I set that money aside for home repairs. In the last two years I've replaced a furnace, a water heater, a garage door and I need to re pour the driveway this summer. I don't want the stress of having to come up with extra money to repair a home I don't even live in.
Quote Reply

Prev Next