Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can you get copies of your own medical records?
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if one is able to get your medical records from your current or a former doctor? This is really just a curiosity thing. I would assume you should be able to, but I wasn't sure if there were weird laws that would prevent this.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you get copies of your own medical records? [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would assume you should be able to

Careful with those assumptions. I don't know of any laws apply or not, but a lot of doctors seem to be under the impression that your medical records are their property, and you're not necessarily entitled to see them.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Can you get copies of your own medical records? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I would assume you should be able to

Careful with those assumptions. I don't know of any laws apply or not, but a lot of doctors seem to be under the impression that your medical records are their property, and you're not necessarily entitled to see them.
Then those doctors are under the wrong impression.

Awesome, thanks.

That good ol' hippo, always there, making people give us our medical records.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes you have a right to your medical information and all health records. The office has to provide you with them in a "reasonable time" (and they get to decide reasonable) and also charge you any fee's to produce records (and that can get very costly)...the paper records they will often copy for you for a small fee or for free - you want films, take out your check book.

I can provide you with all of your rights as a patient if you would like.

This link is right to HHS and should answer most questions.

http://www.hhs.gov/.../consumer_rights.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Last edited by: record10carbon: Sep 28, 05 15:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And, any time you have questions about your rights as a patient remember that HHS is the first source for info...however municipalities and states have full authority to make rules stricter for you, or for the health care provider. HIPAA is a guide for the most part- like the bible some read it and see one thing, others read another (especially in the security sections - yes I have read all of it...who needs sleeping pills?)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply