Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Former VA Gov McDonnell Sentenced to 2 Years
Quote | Reply
http://hamptonroads.com/...ced-two-years-prison

It's not every day that a former governor gets sentenced to federal prison.

I usually have a certain amount of schadenfreude when former politicians get there just desserts for corruption, but not in this case. I still think McDonnell is a good man who married the wrong woman.

I hope his wife gets a longer sentence.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Re: Former VA Gov McDonnell Sentenced to 2 Years [jepvb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<It's not every day that a former governor gets sentenced to federal prison. >>

Fairly routine for us in Illinois.
Quote Reply
Re: Former VA Gov McDonnell Sentenced to 2 Years [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elvis Runner wrote:
<<It's not every day that a former governor gets sentenced to federal prison. >>

You beat me to that. I lost count but hasn't something like 3 of the last 5 governors gone to federal prison?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elvis Runner wrote:

Ha ha - good point. Chicago mayors haven't faired to well either, have they.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:
Elvis Runner wrote:

I had to look that up, since I figured it was Richard Daley Sr and Jr then Emmanuel. But I guess there were five mayors between. And yes, one went to jail. I had forgotten there was a lady mayor who was going to live in Cabrini-Green to show how safe it was. That didn't work out well.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:
Elvis Runner wrote:

I think only 1 mayor went to jail and that was a long time ago. But 4 of our last 7 governors have done time - Blago currently doing 14 years, Ryan recently released after serving 6. Thirty-one aldermen have done time. Jesse Jackson, Jr., our senator, is currently doing 30 months. The old joke is the one inmate says to the other while in line in the cafeteria, "The food was better here when I was governor."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elvis Runner wrote:

Beat me to it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:
Elvis Runner wrote:

um they don't go to prison, just governors, judges, and alderman.
Quote Reply
Re: Former VA Gov McDonnell Sentenced to 2 Years [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
jepvb wrote:
Elvis Runner wrote:

I had to look that up, since I figured it was Richard Daley Sr and Jr then Emmanuel. But I guess there were five mayors between. And yes, one went to jail. I had forgotten there was a lady mayor who was going to live in Cabrini-Green to show how safe it was. That didn't work out well.

no mayor has gone to jail that I remember
Quote Reply
Re: Former VA Gov McDonnell Sentenced to 2 Years [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
TheForge wrote:
jepvb wrote:
Elvis Runner wrote:

I think I got Chicago confused with Detroit - didn't a recent mayor from Detroit get put away?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:
windywave wrote:
TheForge wrote:
jepvb wrote:
Elvis Runner wrote:

I think I got Chicago confused with Detroit - didn't a recent mayor from Detroit get put away?

Yep Kwame Patrick . . . .he was just dumb, are crooked politicians are elegant in their corruption
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was a good man who accepted bribes. Um, yeah...

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never got a good vibe for him.

Shows he has a couple of serious judgement issues if he married the woman who is helping send him to jail...
Quote Reply
Re: Former VA Gov McDonnell Sentenced to 2 Years [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tridiot wrote:
I never got a good vibe for him.

Shows he has a couple of serious judgement issues if he married the woman who is helping send him to jail...

I saw their daughter threw the mom under the bus and pretty much said it was all her doing. . . .awkward Thanksgiving coming up in a few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:

I usually have a certain amount of schadenfreude when former politicians get there just desserts for corruption, but not in this case. I still think McDonnell is a good man who married the wrong woman.

Not enough time...I believe that anyone that commits a crime in office should be summarily shot upon conviction. It won't stop crime but it will lower the recidivism rate.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Former VA Gov McDonnell Sentenced to 2 Years [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow:

Quote:
In a letter to the federal judge who would be sentencing Robert McDonnell, the couple’s eldest daughter, Jeanine McDonnell Zubowsky, blamed the fiasco on her mother’s materialism, mental-health issues and interest in “freebees.”

Maureen McDonnell’s appearance in court Tuesday did not, on its own, suggest that the family woes aired during the trial had healed. Painful estrangement remained on vivid display. Zubowsky, pregnant with the couple’s first grandchild, sat at one end of a courtroom bench reserved for family. Maureen McDonnell, who was not invited to her daughter’s recent baby shower, sat toward the other end. They did not appear to interact.
Quote Reply
Re: Former VA Gov McDonnell Sentenced to 2 Years [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
jepvb wrote:

Not enough time...I believe that anyone that commits a crime in office should be summarily shot upon conviction. It won't stop crime but it will lower the recidivism rate.

I think corruption convictions should be death sentences.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess this went before scotus and the experts think a majority will side with him. I was reading a few articles prior to the court appearance. Of course sitting politicians are in support of him. Law enforcement not. And different groups in favor. I find it odd that the scotus wouldn't want have too much power over elected officials but they support ever increasing police powers.

Just further proof rules are different for pols. Sickening really.

http://www.cnn.com/...mcdonnell/index.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But at least he'll be able to vote when he gets out of prison!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
I guess this went before scotus and the experts think a majority will side with him. I was reading a few articles prior to the court appearance. Of course sitting politicians are in support of him. Law enforcement not. And different groups in favor. I find it odd that the scotus wouldn't want have too much power over elected officials but they support ever increasing police powers.

Just further proof rules are different for pols. Sickening really.

http://www.cnn.com/...mcdonnell/index.html

Based on the article, It doesn't sound like SCOTUS is particularly supportive of McDonnel specifically, so much as they are trying to set an appropriate boundary on what the State can call corruption, to avoid politically based prosecutions.

Obviously the prosecution and the defense both have different stories about what McDonnel actually did, but that's a separate issue.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Former VA Gov McDonnell Sentenced to 2 Years [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair point. But in some of the articles I've read over the last few weeks, reputable public integrity groups have suggested that a favorable ruling for McDonnell could set a high bar. I'm all for making rules clear, and based on what happened in his case, I think the sentence is appropriate if not harsh enough. Note, I liked McDonnell. Thought he was a genuinely good guy and feel that he just couldn't put his foot down in matters that involved his wife. But hey, that doesn't excuse bribery in fact or appearance.

Quote Reply
Re: Former VA Gov McDonnell Sentenced to 2 Years - UPDATE [jepvb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://pilotonline.com/...a6-843a6f75e609.html

Overzealous federal prosecutors strike again.

Quote Reply
Re: Former VA Gov McDonnell Sentenced to 2 Years - UPDATE [jepvb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The key here seems to be a combination of laws that favor Elected officials and a political witch hunt which basically threw the sink at him hoping something stuck. I think he needs to pay a price and laws that give elected officials too much leeway stuck down.

The key question is what next. We can only hope they pursue a more direct course of prosecution.

Quote Reply
Re: Former VA Gov McDonnell Sentenced to 2 Years - UPDATE [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
The key here seems to be a combination of laws that favor Elected officials and a political witch hunt which basically threw the sink at him hoping something stuck. I think he needs to pay a price and laws that give elected officials too much leeway stuck down.

The key question is what next. We can only hope they pursue a more direct course of prosecution.

The answer to your question....nothing.

http://pilotonline.com/...45-2955b4d1e3fe.html

He is a free man, and rightfully so in my mind.

The facts aren't pretty, but he didn't do anything illegal. He certainly didn't take bribes.

The guy made one colossal bad decision in his life - marrying his wife.

Quote Reply