Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Convoy brings relief supplies to convention center evacuees
Quote | Reply
Convoy, troops arrive

A convoy of military vehicles plowed through the flooded streets of New Orleans on Friday bringing food, water and medicine to the thousands of people trapped at a downtown convention center.

"The crowd erupted," said Tishia Walters, a woman in the convention center crowd told CNN by telephone.

"Flags went flying, people shouting and waving. There's like 7,000 people out here in dying conditions," she added.

Walters said she was outside of the center when she saw the National Guard and police arrive.

"It's amazing. They've come in full force," she said.

Lt. Gen. Russel Honore was directing the deployment of National Guard troops -- expected to number 1,000 -- from a New Orleans street corner. (See video of the convoy roll through floodwaters -- 3:33)

Honore said getting food and water to the people at the convention center was difficult. "If you ever have 20,000 people come to supper, you know what I'm talking about," the general said. "If it was easy, it would have been done already."

CNN's Barbara Starr, who is traveling with the three-star general, said Honore is "very determined to keep this looking like a humanitarian relief operation." (See the mayor's order to stop the talking and send soldiers to help -- 1:00)

"A few moments ago, he stopped a truck full of National Guard troops ... and said, 'Point your weapons down, this is not Iraq,' " Starr reported.

Authorities continued working to evacuate the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, trying to help the weakest people first.

Nagin said in a statement that more than 10,000 people had been evacuated from the city Thursday but that more than 50,000 survivors were still on rooftops and in shelters, in urgent need of help.
Quote Reply
Re: Convoy brings relief supplies to convention center evacuees [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good news!

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Re: Convoy brings relief supplies to convention center evacuees [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fantastic news. I'm still baffled, though. Yesterday, most of you were telling me that you couldn't drive a truck to the convention center. Today, three dozen big-ass army trucks are delivering supplies. What's changed? Why couldn't they have done this days ago?

Quote | Reply
The teleporters were without power?

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Convoy brings relief supplies to convention center evacuees [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The teleporters were without power?

~Matt
I'm givin ya all shes got Captin

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Re: Convoy brings relief supplies to convention center evacuees [dire wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you not aware of the time line of what happened?

Flooding didn't begin until late Tuesday. The hurricane passed over and New Orleans was initially thought to be ok. The levees broke and then all hell broke lose. So the need wasn't known until after the levees broke.

Note the size of those vehicles. They aren't sold at your local GM dealer.
Quote Reply
Re: Convoy brings relief supplies to convention center evacuees [dire wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget that the head of FEMA didn't find out that people were actually AT the convention center until Thursday. Don't know how that one happened.

Although, I was under the impression that the convention center was inaccesible to vehicular traffic. The pictures I saw of the trucks weren't normal semis though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you saying that until the levee broke, nobody could have foreseen the need for massive supplies in NO? and even if that is reasonable, which it is not, it still took several days to get the first supplies in.

Quote | Reply
Well, the military vehicles were in Iraq and had to be shipped over. But Bush was on vacation cutting brush on his farm and had to give the order before things started moving.

Talk to him about the time line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
now we're getting somewhere.

Quote | Reply
Fantastic news. I'm still baffled, though

7amEST Friday - the blond woman from CBS this morning filed a report about the Convention center - she said she had NO difficulting getting there or getting back to Harry Smith where she filed her report.

7:30AM EST Friday - Harry Connick Jr. appears on the Today show and says he had NO Problem getting to the convention center and getting back to where the reporters were.

I'm baffled also.
Quote Reply
Re: Convoy brings relief supplies to convention center evacuees [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if it was easy for the blond woman from CBS and Harry Connick Jr. getting to/from the convention center than why was it so difficult for those who went there in the first place to leave?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't know,,, but perhaps, they didn't have a f***in' car.... or any other transportation.

here's the interview with Connick - he had no problem getting into/out of the convention center on THURSDAY... Nat'l guard didn't show up until Friday. http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9174288/

How hard it is to take a helicopter or a truck ... it's easy to get to the convention center, we got there with no problem ... how hard is it to take a truck with water or food for these people. I don't understand,” Connick said in an interview ith “Today” host Katie Couric.

“They told these people to go to the convention center for help and it's been five days. It's unbearable,” Connick said. He said that while he was at the convention center on Thursday he saw no water or food being distributed to the victims.

On the local ABC news in Chicago tonight, they interviewed a trucker who was driving a water truck, he filled up the truck in Texas on Monday- 3/4 days ago - he arrived in NO today (friday) - he said FEMA held him up.

Like DireWolf - I'm baffled, and remained baffled - mostly I'm confused as to why Michael Brown, the director of FEMA, still has a job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tracy Smith - CBS EarlyShow - from Friday's AM show...

http://www.cbsnews.com/...eosection_page.shtml

Click on the video link for .... "Lashing Out Over Lack Of AID"

at timestamp: 1:50- "the crowd was waiting for buses and evacuation"

at timestamp: 2:50

Harry Smith: "now let me ask you this, people have asked about how dangerous this is... you went in, did you feel ever like you were in danger?"

TS: "they were polite, they were caring for each other"

HS: "you never felt like you were in danger?"

TS "These are angry people... but I felt like they are desparate to get out"

HS: "...did you see any violence?..."

TS: "I did not see it, they were assiting each other"

Just a reminder - the video tape is from Thursday - they didn't get water until Friday (roughly noon)
Quote Reply