Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Plantar fasciitis secret cures? [Rodred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rodred wrote:
I want to thank everyone that posted advice. The ice really made a difference along with being smart enough to not walk around on hardwood floors barefoot while injured.

I was healing up but I had to go to the doctor the other day for an eye infection so I had her shoot me up which couldnt hurt. Feeling much better today. Pretty much pain free.

Thanks again to all who posted.

I was just diagnosed with PF a month ago after a year of pain. Got the shot and I felt great for the first time in a long time.. I tried the elliptical machine a month after the shot and within 3 minutes the pain was back. I do have wood floors and walk barefoot all the time so I will cut that out too. My Podiatrist told me that stretching was no longer considered useful and if my foot doesn't heal over the summer I should start thinking about a cast in the fall.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis secret cures? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Rodred wrote:
I want to thank everyone that posted advice. The ice really made a difference along with being smart enough to not walk around on hardwood floors barefoot while injured.

I was healing up but I had to go to the doctor the other day for an eye infection so I had her shoot me up which couldnt hurt. Feeling much better today. Pretty much pain free.

I was just diagnosed with PF a month ago after a year of pain. Got the shot and I felt great for the first time in a long time.. I tried the elliptical machine a month after the shot and within 3 minutes the pain was back. I do have wood floors and walk barefoot all the time so I will cut that out too. My Podiatrist told me that stretching was no longer considered useful and if my foot doesn't heal over the summer I should start thinking about a cast in the fall.

Over a year ago I wrote the above regarding my left foot. About 3 months after I wrote it I was well enough to run again. 6 weeks ago I got PF on my right foot. I just got the shot this AM and boy is my foot tingling and numb. I forgot the needle was so long too.... My podiatrist thinks it's time to change shoes and get something more supportive. She also said I need to watch my Achilles tendon, something I have had problems with before. I have to go back in 2 weeks for a follow-up. I have been a New Balance user for over 30 years but if it's time for a change what are you with PF recommending?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
I have been a New Balance user for over 30 years but if it's time for a change what are you with PF recommending?

I bet someone is going to say take this to a different forum
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis secret cures? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Possibly. But he could be busy as it's close to moose rutting season......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly. Just go back and read my post and be done with it.
It's based on a little something we in the LR call science.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got over mine with a break from running and yoga.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis secret cures? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how Rodred is doing with his ailment?
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis secret cures? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Something I wrote a long time ago in here...

On plantar fasciitis, I had it a long time ago and sent off for some science-based booklet from a company. They mentioned that PF was highly correlated with weak lateral (side to side) ankle strength. Evidently the achilles tendon area gets inflamed when being flexed on a wobbly ankle. So the idea is to keep you ankles from wobbling. How? Well, one, you strengthen them. They recommended balancing yourself on one leg on one of those half-moon blue squishy things (3x1min per leg). Keeping your balance forces your lateral ankle muscles to work.

Secondly, they also said to avoid things that would make your ankle wobble more -- that means heels. High heels cause more torque to be applied to your ankle. The more torque is applied the more your ankle is liable to wobble while flexing. This goes for woman's high heels and running shoes that have an elevated heal. Running around a track can cause more ankle wobble, trail running too.

I started the strengthening exercises right away and it seemed to help. I changed out my super-padded heel running shoes, and haven't had PF since then

Low heels gave me PF.

So much for your "science".

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis secret cures? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Got over mine with a break from running and yoga.

That's basically how I got over my original diagnosis. This time I think it's a lot more serious. I can't imagine life without running, it's the one thing that keeps me semi-sane. I was told I can start to run again next week and in 2 weeks we'll discuss what should be done next. The way my podiatrist was spoke I think I am going to be in some type of orthopedic shoe. On the bright side my tendinitis is almost healed so at least I can continue swimming.

Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis secret cures? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem with treating PF is that there are two main (but different) triggers for it. Either 1) flat & pronating feet or 2) very high arch that collapses. Since the causes are different, a single type of prevention and treatment does not work.

"The excessive stretching of the plantar fascia that leads to the inflammation and discomfort can be caused by the following: Over-pronation (flat feet) which results in the arch collapsing upon weight bearing A foot with an unusually high arch A sudden increase in physical activity Excessive weight on the foot, usually attributed to obesity or pregnancy Improperly fitting footwear Over-pronation (flat feet) is the leading cause of plantar fasciitis. "

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
Rodred wrote:

Over a year ago I wrote the above regarding my left foot. About 3 months after I wrote it I was well enough to run again. 6 weeks ago I got PF on my right foot. I just got the shot this AM and boy is my foot tingling and numb. I forgot the needle was so long too.... My podiatrist thinks it's time to change shoes and get something more supportive. She also said I need to watch my Achilles tendon, something I have had problems with before. I have to go back in 2 weeks for a follow-up. I have been a New Balance user for over 30 years but if it's time for a change what are you with PF recommending?
check thread above

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
Rodred wrote:

I've had intermittent PF over the years. I've been wearing the Asics Cumulus line of shoes for the past few years and they seem to have been good. I also stretch more and I'm more likely to take time off if I notice tinges than I used to be, so I can't guarantee that the shoes are what's helping, but I've had much fewer instances of soreness and pain than I used to. I also have a repaired achilles, so I have to watch that a bit too.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
Rodred wrote:

Here's what worked for me.

Yoga. I did p90x yoga and stretching and it went away. Only felt twinges of it a couple times over the last few years. When I do, I do a little yoga and it goes away.

I also wear Brooks Glycerin Shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis secret cures? [atl_tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you share some yoga examples that worked for you.

Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis secret cures? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will look into those shoes. I've had on and off problems with my right Achilles so I have got to get this taken care of.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Would you share some yoga examples that worked for you.

I use the 90 minute p90x DVD. It's fantastic (my yoga instructor friend said it was good too). The DVDs are about $140 on Amazon. Their stretching DVD is good too. https://www.amazon.com/...se-Kit/dp/B000TG8D6I

I don't do p90x anymore...but do the DVD from time to time.

I also do a 10 minute hamstring yoga that can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3HIQXpV32M

For me, the key was stretching hamstring, achilles, IT band, etc.

Hope this helps a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis secret cures? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
The problem with treating PF is that there are two main (but different) triggers for it. Either 1) flat & pronating feet or 2) very high arch that collapses. Since the causes are different, a single type of prevention and treatment does not work.

"The excessive stretching of the plantar fascia that leads to the inflammation and discomfort can be caused by the following: Over-pronation (flat feet) which results in the arch collapsing upon weight bearing A foot with an unusually high arch A sudden increase in physical activity Excessive weight on the foot, usually attributed to obesity or pregnancy Improperly fitting footwear Over-pronation (flat feet) is the leading cause of plantar fasciitis. "

Mine was caused by too much mileage in minimal (or non-existent) shoes.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis secret cures? [atl_tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks man!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I acquired PF last March, saw a physical therapist for treatment. She admitted that no one regimen/cure will work for everyone - the injury is frustratingly individual. So what worked for me is just that - something that worked for me. I offer it as one of many possible activities that may help. The MRI indicated "severe" PF - so mine was not the normal case (if there is such a thing).

I wore ( and continue to wear ) a night splint. They are inexpensive purchased online. Stretching exercises for the calf as well as massage for the affected foot. I used some that were on YouTube. I did these several times each day when possible. Perhaps the most useful was the purchase and use of orthotics/shoe inserts. I used the brand "Superfeet" in Green color. They are color coded to enable the user to pinpoint which color to use for a particular problem. This color was recommended by my Sports Doctor to support the arch. I have two pairs and only walk to and from the bathroom without them. Absolutely no bare feet or slippers. The arch need support.

I also was directed by my physical therapist to increase my footstrike during my run. The goal was 168. I purchased a cheap metronome at a music store and set it to 164 and worked my way up to 168. This cadence almost forces you to land midfoot which takes the pressure off the heel. I am now up to three miles with no pain whatsoever. I'll slowly increase but am in no hurry. For awhile I thought that I would never be able to run again. The pain was that disabling. But so far what I tried listed above certainly helped. I hope some of this can be a help to you. But you'll just have to see what works for you and what doesn't work because PF is so individual in its problems. That is what makes it so troublesome. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all I want to give credit to someone here who created a video showing how to wrap your foot with kinesiology tape.

Now I want to tell you how I conquered my plantar fasciitis. I wrapped my foot for three months with the tape and that help to alleviate a lot of the pain. Next I bought a lightweight boot to wear at night while I slept. I bought a good insert for my shoe and actually changed shoe brands. Finally I walked around in a heavy boot for 3 weeks. It's been 3 weeks since I took the boot off and I have no pain as of today. I just played racquetball at the gym and my foot feels great. I'm hoping my long nightmare is finally over. If my foot feels good in another week I'll start light running again, the first time in almost a year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had near immediate positive results with Healing Sole. http://www.thehealingsole.com

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dealt with this for 18 months, I swear Yoga- specifically the pose Downward Dog got me running again. PT and biomechanics have kept it away for 5 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rodred wrote:
How the hell it happened I have no idea but I have PF. I use a brace at night which helps it not to be so sore when I first get up and KT tape gives me some relief during the day. I guess I should ice it too but does anyone have any other advice? It's not real bad but bad enough that it is keeping from doing things. I am close to sucking it up and heading to the doctor for a needle to help the process along. SAVE ME FROM THE NEEDLE!

I had it for almost two years then developed a taping technique that worked. Its gone now .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWV6FV5Qf_8

sometimes
Last edited by: mustangchef: Jun 24, 17 5:36
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis secret cures? [TriHard Indiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of looks like flip flops Hoka would make.
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis secret cures? [Hokiebird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hokiebird wrote:
Kind of looks like flip flops Hoka would make.

They were a little more than I wanted to spend, but like I said, near immediate results. Wore them all day today.

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply

Prev Next