Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: An interesting evolutionary development? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, but I just don't know enough to discuss at that level. I wish I did.
Quote Reply
Re: An interesting evolutionary development? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the fossil records showed that, I would "believe in" evolution.

Two things that are interesting ...

[1] What the fossil record does show.

[2] How rare it is for something to actually fossilize (and even more rare for us to discover it. Very little [comparatively] of the world has been explored for fossils).

Seriously, for as rare as fossilization is, and given the amount of area still unexplored, the fossil record says quite a bit.

It is one of those things that you almost cannot ignore.

-----------------------------

Helpful link ...

Transitional fossils: http://www.talkorigins.org/...sitional/part1a.html

Amphibians to Amniotes: http://www.talkorigins.org/...sitional/part1b.html

(Amniotes are reptile like, determined by laying eggs that have an amniotic sac, hence "Amniotes":.

Overview of the Cenozoic: http://www.talkorigins.org/...sitional/part2a.html

Mammals, Part 2: http://www.talkorigins.org/...sitional/part2b.html

More Mammals: http://www.talkorigins.org/...sitional/part2c.html

(THe Good models, bad models at the end of 2C is interesting.

-----------------------------

I asked around for a "Fossil" book that had sequential pictures of the fossils as they are presented in order. I will likely have to get a graduate level book. It's not as simple as I would like, since there are whole books written on "Amphibian fossils", "Invertebrates", etc. Incidently, from a fossil perspective, humans are the most well documented, which isn't suprising ... since we're the youngest.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Aug 23, 05 9:26
Quote Reply
Re: An interesting evolutionary development? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a side note to this discussion, and addressed to you as the originator (Originator?) of the thread, but hoping to get a response from all parties: some people believe in a/the Creator; how was that Creator created?
Quote Reply
Re: An interesting evolutionary development? [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
some people believe in a/the Creator; how was that Creator created?

For me ... Either [1] always existed (infinite), or [2] came from outside of our universe, or [3] both.

Not sure if your question is on a serious note, or not (I answered if it were). This discussion has occourred once, twice or 27 times previously. If you are interested, a quick search should do the trick.

There are also other ideas such as aliens, etc ... I believe Francis Crick (DNA dude) that thought aliens had started life on this planet.

=======================
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Aug 23, 05 10:17
Quote Reply
Re: An interesting evolutionary development? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I was asking seriously (thank you for answering) and yes I am guilty of not searching before asking. However, I did not search because from what I have read so far in other threads, it appears that I would have to read through a lot of off topic comments. Kind of like searching for a needle in a whole hay stack when I know that some people here can restrict the search to only one portion of the stack.

Note that my question wasn't so much on how life was created on this planet, but more on what the consensus is, for people who believe on a Creator, on how that Creator was created. Is there even such a consensus?

To me, it seems like if somebody is going to explain the origin of life by putting a Creator in the picture then they ought to explain where that Creator is coming from.
Quote Reply
Re: An interesting evolutionary development? [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest that most think the Creator is God (Yahweh, Allah, etc). God has always existed, and is infinite ... knows no bounds (as far as we know). Obviously, God could not create the universe and still be a part of it.

I would say that is the consensus, but there are different views.

=======================
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Aug 23, 05 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: An interesting evolutionary development? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't claim to speak for others at all. For myself I don't believe that every creature was created as is. Over time, any population will develop diversity. We have short and tall people for example.

Personally, I don't buy what I will call macro evolution mostly because of the sharp delineation of separate species that is so evident in every aspect of living things. A gradual change model such as you describe doesn't lend itself to such development in any obvious fashion.

Does man have some common lineage with other primates? Maybe. My take would be that some outside intelligence periodically stirred the broth to effect the major changes that produced the various species.

The idea that a bacteria can develop a new "function," whatever that means is not interesting to me unless that new function is something major. If it grew roots and bloomed, you would have my attention.
well, give it about 3 billion years and it just might.

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply

Prev Next