Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ok Vitus/Army/Brian286, lets step up & defend the evangelicals at the Air Force Academy
Quote | Reply
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The U.S. Air Force Academy failed to accommodate the diverse religious needs of cadets and staff, although there has been no overt discrimination, a military investigative panel concluded Wednesday.

The Air Force investigation, released by the Pentagon, required academy leaders to clarify their policies on appropriate and inappropriate religious expression. But it also credited them with moving to confront these issues.

The investigation also cited a perception of intolerance among some cadets and staff.

"The [Air Force] team found a religious climate that does not involve overt religious discrimination, but a failure to fully accommodate all members' needs and a lack of awareness where the line is drawn between permissible and impermissible expression of beliefs," the report said.

The Air Force team was appointed to investigate the religious climate at the 4,300-student school in Colorado Springs, Colorado, after hearing complaints that evangelical Christians wield so much influence at the school that anti-Semitism and other forms of religious harassment have become pervasive.

It assessed Air Force policy on religious respect and tolerance and looked into whether commanders' actions encouraged or discouraged free expression and free exercise of religion.

Earlier, Capt. Melinda Morton, a chaplain who spoke out against religious intolerance there, resigned her commission. Morton resigned Tuesday after 13 years serving the Air Force.

Critics, including Morton, have said evangelical Protestants were harassing cadets of other faiths at the school in violation of constitutional principles of separation of church and state in the military. An academy critic said the report being released Wednesday concluded the problem was serious.

The investigation was initiated after critics of the academy's handling of religion told Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld that students, faculty, staff and members of the chaplains' office frequently pressured cadets to attend chapel and receive religious instruction.

Others said prayers were frequently conducted before official events.

Lt. Gen. Roger Brady, the Air Force deputy chief of staff for personnel, said in a news conference at the Pentagon that he found seven specific incidents that he referred to the military's chain of command for possible investigation. He did not provide details.

The Air Force report cites some incidents but does not go into details: religious slurs and disparaging remarks between cadets and statements from faculty and staff with strong religious beliefs that some cadets found offensive.

"There is a lack of awareness on the part of some faculty and staff, and perhaps some senior cadets, as to what constitutes appropriate expressions of faith," said Brady.

Brady said he was unsure whether many of the incidents qualified as intolerance, but said "there's certainly insensitivity" at the institution.

"Yes, I think there were cases where people said some things perhaps from a lecturn that were overreaching, forgetting their position, that put cadets perhaps in an untenable position in terms of, 'Gee, am I going to pass Physics 101 if I don't agree with this guy?,"' he said.

The controversy has rocked the Air Force Academy just as it was trying to emerge from a 2003 rape scandal in which dozens of women said their complaints of sexual harassment were ignored.

Morton had said in May that she was fired from her chaplaincy at the school and a transfer to Japan was hastened because she spoke out about the academy's religious climate. School officials said her move was routine.

Last week, Superintendent Lt. Gen. John Rosa offered Morton an assistant position on his staff to work on religious issues and help develop two new phases of religious training, academy spokesman Johnny Whitaker said.

Morton's attorney, Gene Fidell, told The Gazette in Colorado Springs that the resignation was not coerced or out of fear of disciplinary action.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Vitus/Army/Brian286, lets step up & defend the evangelicals at the Air Force Academy [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to see one of the guys who said France had no rights to ban the veil from schools (and any other obvious religious symbol) say something about this now... :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Vitus/Army/Brian286, lets step up & defend the evangelicals at the Air Force Academy [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man could you find an older story? This one has been done to death.

Yes the environment was hostile towards non-Christians. Yes they were wrong and are being forced to get back within standards. No Morton wasn't fired or transferred early.

This is very old news.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Vitus/Army/Brian286, lets step up & defend the evangelicals at the Air Force Academy [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure what you mean Francois. There's a difference between the State preventing the free, personal exercise of religion (which IMO France wrongly did) and the State-sponsored, coercive shoving religion down people's throats (which is happening at the USAF Academy).

I'm against both.

" There's a difference between the State preventing the free, personal exercise of religion (which IMO France wrongly did) and the State-sponsored, coercive shoving religion down people's throats (which is happening at the USAF Academy). "

The French govt doesn't grant it's citizens the same rights to freedom of religious expression we do. For that matter, we wouldn't allow many of the things the French banned in those laws, which, by the way, had been on the books for awhile but were enforced more stingently in reccnt times. We may hold a different standard for religious expression in the U.S. but the French simply follwed the laws that were chosen by their people. They didn't want to have to deal with disrupting the school day for prayer multiple times, tailoring a separate lunch menu for devout Muslims or Jews, etc, etc. The head scarves just got a bit of media attention because they were easy to explain and latch onto.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

screw the PC crap

Dirt
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Vitus/Army/Brian286, lets step up & defend the evangelicals at the Air Force Academy [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was found hostile to non Protestants, and they said they were going to change it and failed to change it. That's why it's back in the news. It's not an old story - it's an ongoing story.
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Vitus/Army/Brian286, lets step up & defend the evangelicals at the Air Force Academy [dirtball!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
screw the PC crap

Dirt
So if you dont like harrasment and constant proseltyzing you're PC crap?

"It was found hostile to non Protestants, and they said they were going to change it and failed to change it. That's why it's back in the news. It's not an old story - it's an ongoing story."

There's nothing new in what was posted here. This is an old story. This merely reports the results of the official investigations into the command climate. It doesn't say that there has been further failure since the charges were initially made.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I for one can not condone what happened at USAFA. They have had a rough couple of years between this and the sexual misconduct/abuse allegations. They will overcome this and be back on track. The USAFA, like all service acadamies, are not immune to human failure. Yes they are held to a higher standard than a civilian educational institution or for that matter just aboout any organization in the country. Because of that higher standard, and the microscope they live under, their problems will be fixed. I am currently stationed at West Point and believe me it is sad to see a sister academy go through this but like I said they will rise above it and fix what is wrong. You, the taxpayer who pays our salaries deserve no less than a full accounting of what happened and what the plan to fix it is. Now can we move on to another story because like slowguy said this is old news.
Last edited by: armytriguy: Jun 23, 05 7:27
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Vitus/Army/Brian286, lets step up & defend the evangelicals at the Air Force Academy [armytriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I for one can not condone what happened at USAFA. They have had a rough couple of years between this and the sexual misconduct/abuse allegations. They will overcome this and be back on track. The USAFA, like all service acadamies, are not immune to human failure. Yes they are held to hgher standard than a civilian educational institution or for that matter just aboout any organization in the country. Because of that higher standard, and the microscope they live under, their problems will be fixed. I am currently stationed at West Point and believe me it is sad to see a sister academy go through this but like I said they will rise above it and fix what is wrong. You, the taxpayer who pays our salaries deserve no less than a full accounting of what happened and what the plan to fix it is. Now can we move on to another story because like slowguy said this is old news.

Sorry to not move on, but what do you think should be the punishment for members of the US Military (those staff at the USAFA) who failed to uphold the Constitution's separation of church and state?

Also, why do you think they believe it will take years to fix the problem(s)?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: klehner: Jun 23, 05 7:12
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Vitus/Army/Brian286, lets step up & defend the evangelicals at the Air Force Academy [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"why do you think they believe it will take years to fix the problem(s)?"

It always takes time to fix this type of problem since a large portion of it was created by students themselves, many of which have several years of school left before graduation. You can put a band-aid on the symptoms and punish those who break the rules, but attitudes will take longer to change. Plus there is a large evangelical community in the surrounding area, so that influence isn't exactly going away.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Ok Vitus/Army/Brian286, lets step up & defend the evangelicals at the Air Force Academy [armytriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was at the Basic School as a young Marine officer, our staff platoon commander (a Marine Captain), on the first day of training, announced to our platoon that he was a Mormon. He said that he did not drink or womanize, that he thought Marine officers had a bad image of drinkers and womanizers, and that he would give a bad evaluation to any one of us he caught doing either. When we received our command evaluations at the end of the course, I got a 72. One Lieutenant in our platoon got a 100. Guess what? He was a Mormon and his wife taught Sunday School with the Captain's wife.

A few years ago, we had a command chaplain who was Jewish rabbi (redundant--I know). He used to put a "Daily Devotional" out on our command website. One day, he used his devotional to complain about a woman who had said something to him in reference to a stereotype about Jews (being cheap). He went on and on about how hurtful and divisive, etc., this kind of intolerance was. Then, a few months later, he used his devotional to publish the following joke from "The Big Book of Jewish Humor:"

Rabbi Weinberg was driving his Lincoln down the street. He stopped at a stop sign and was rear-ended by a Catholic priest, Father Mulcahey, in his Ford. When they got out of the car, he could tell the priest had been drinking. So, the rabbi called the police. When Patrolman O'Toole showed up, he politely asked the rabbi, "So sir, how fast were you backing up when you hit the good father?"

As an Irish-Catholic, I found that joke somewhat offensive, but what I really found offensive was his two-faced attitude towards intolerance and steroetyping.

What's the point? Religious discrimination is not limited to evangelical Christians, nor is it limited to the USAFA. In fact, I'm sure it happens in every business, government office, etc. all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Vitus/Army/Brian286, lets step up & defend the evangelicals at the Air Force Academy [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ma not sure what if any punishment should be. I am not aware of any prescedent for such an incident so I don't really have an opinion on it.

8/28/05: armytriguy vs. Ken Lehner Smackdown!

Think we could sell tickets?:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I ma not sure what if any punishment should be. I am not aware of any prescedent for such an incident so I don't really have an opinion on it.

8/28/05: armytriguy vs. Ken Lehner Smackdown!

Think we could sell tickets?:)
I hope not!

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Vitus/Army/Brian286, lets step up & defend the evangelicals at the Air Force Academy [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting observations from Andrew Sullivan on this issue:

THE AIR FORCE ACADEMY REPORT: It's worth reading in full, although it gets repetitive at times. There's no way to judge independently how fair or tough the report is. Its assessment that the academy is not "overtly discriminatory" against non-Christians has to be weighed against the following findings: the commandant of cadets sent an academy-wide email promoting the national day of prayer, created a "J for Jesus" hand signal, designed to get the "Rocks!" response, and used it on drills that included all cadets; an advertisement in the Academy Spirit, signed and paid for by key USAFA personnal, stated: "We believe that Jesus Christ is the only real hope for the world", and "there is salvation in no one else;" over 4,000 flyers were distributed on campus for "The Passion of the Christ;" the group of cadets that does not attend voluntary evening prayer services is known as the "Heathen Flight"; an atheist cadet who wanted to start a "free-thinkers" group was denied permission because the group was not "faith-based"; the head football coach put up a "Team Jesus" banner in the locker room; one cadet complained that "freedom of religion does not exist if you are not a Christian;" calls to Bible study were made over the PA system. Some faculty were more emphatic about a climate of intolerance:
The non-Christian members of this group indicated that Senior Leadership, to a person, made them feel like 'evil people' if they were not one of the Christians. A few acknowledged that some of the leadership is 'extraordinarily aggressive' in the expression of their faith ... The Christian faculty members of this group expressed their belief that Christianity is a 'proselytizing religion' and they have a right, even duty, to do so.

On the other side of the ledger, it's clear that the leadership in the military takes its religiously neutral mission importantly, many of these incidents were dealt with at the time, and things seem to have improved over the past couple of years. The report wouldn't exist if that were not the case.

THE WIDER ISSUE: Much of the problems come from the new passion of evangelicalism in America. Individual fundamentalists regard their faith as something that trumps everything, and cannot be curtailed for any principle, even military effectiveness. As one cadet said, "The Air Force I signed up for didn't say I had to leave my religion at the door - it's part of who I am." The atmosphere - especially the anti-Semitism - comes as much from the cadets themselves as from any official policy. As one faculty member states, "The kids we are bringing in here no are not a reflection of America. Whether they realize it or not, people of religion are selecting kids of religion to fill USAFA." One omission from the report are the anti-Semitic slurs from some cadets to others, which the report says have been handled between the individuals involved. One suspects that an offical report which cited cadets calling Jews "Christ-killers" would have made too many unsavory headlines. One can only guess at the rampant homophobia that must exist, especially since it is implicitly endorsed in official military policy. All in all, it seems to me that a decent start has been made to rectify the worst of the intolerance, but that the core issue is that recruits are more and more likely to be influenced by a resurgent Christianism before they arrive, come from backgrounds in which religious dissent or pluralism is simply unknown or suppressed, and don't fully understand why that atmosphere might be inappropriate in a secular, national institution like the military. The Academy is obviously trying to do something, but they are fighting an uphill battle. We should all worry about a military that seems to be becoming the repository of one brand of Christianity. It's deeply counter-productive in a war where we have to be extra careful not to look like crusaders and where we need all the good soldiers we can find, regardless of their personal faith or lack of one.

If the problem really was from the top down, who then is forcing them back w/i standards?

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Vitus/Army/Brian286, lets step up & defend the evangelicals at the Air Force Academy [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Look it's the zoomies. I didn't golf well enough to get in . Did the USMC thing.

Dirt Ha ha ha

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply