Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Unitarian-Universalist Triathletes??
Quote | Reply
With all these religious threads I figured I would give it a shot. Am I the only "UU" around here? Just kind of curious if any of you consider yourself UU or even know of anyone that is. The whole idea of a religions that practice "fear based faith" was really unappealling to me and that is how I found Unitarian-Universalist to be the place for me!

If you have no idea....here is more information. It has been great for our kids because each week offers something new and different. One week they may teach about Islam and the next week may be about Native American beliefs. Deffinately a good well-rounded place to grow:

http://www.uua.org/...tuua/principles.html

This is how we found out about it....and no, it is not a cult. LOL

http://www.beliefnet.com/...76/story_7665_1.html

Michael

Drafting is for the weak...

Tri2Hover...making flat coke since September 9, 2006.
Quote Reply
Re: Unitarian-Universalist Triathletes?? [mmakbenton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm basically a Unitarian-Universalist with strongly Christian beliefs, ie I profess Christianity but believe it in a very UU fashion. but, we all know that Episcopalians (my denomination) are really a bunch of closet Unitarians anyway (as well as drunkards, gamblers, womanizers, and now their gay male and straight female equivalents).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The whole idea of a religions that practice "fear based faith" was really unappealling to me and that is how I found Unitarian-Universalist to be the place for me! "

I agree 100%. My mother was brought up as a staunch Catholic but later in life supported the Unitarian church for this very reason. If i wasn't an agnostic and felt I needed a church, this is the one that I would most likely support.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"practice "fear based faith" was really unappealling to me"

You forgot EXCLUSIONARY faith...the idea that a particular sect or denomination has cornered the market on God...that really turns ME off.

UU was an interesting experience...closer to open expression of spiritual faith than I'd experienced...but, at least in the one that my wife and I went to, there was still SOME latent RELIGION in some of the people there...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although an atheist, I was married at our local UU "church". I have a good friend who is a cyclist and a member of that church.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Unitarian-Universalist Triathletes?? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Religion seeks discipline through fear, yet doesn't understand the true nature of creation: No one believes in it enough to make it real!"

-John Carpenter "In the Mouth of Madness"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that was a bigger response than I expected...even if it was only a few members. Demographically, UU's are relatively forward thinking and well-educated. Both similar traits to multi-sport athletes in my opinion. Maybe too much of a stretch though.

Michael

Drafting is for the weak...

Tri2Hover...making flat coke since September 9, 2006.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was baptized as a Universalist when I was an infant (44 years ago). Although I'm not very active in the UU church today, it's still what identify myself as. The Portland congregation is quite large.

Incidently, agnostics are not uncommon within the UU church.

scott
Quote Reply