Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dog grooming at home -- RESULTS!
Quote | Reply
I've decided to groom my fat long-haired mini dachshund at home. His hair has always been unruly and he looks great with short body hair and long ears and tail. We've always had him professionally groomed, but today I had an uncontrollable urge to shave him myself. Heck, think of the money I'll save:) Anyway, I bought a dog shaver at the pet store and I watched the DVD that came with it. The thing is charging right now on the kitchen counter. Tomorrow around 2pm, we'll be ready to go. I've brushed and bathed him. We have a utility sink in the laundry room. I plan on lining it with newspaper and shaving him there.

I have a feeling this is a bad idea, but can't seem to stop myself. Any last minute tips before Alex turns into that weird looking fat mini dachsund?
Last edited by: AmyCO: Jun 13, 05 11:16
Quote Reply
Re: Dog grooming at home [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of being a long-haired mini dachshund. Afterward, he will be just an ordinary wiener dog. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog grooming at home [Al P Duez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the breed purists always freak out when we bring him in for grooming, but his fur is really awful. Looks like he stuck his paw in a light socket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fat dachshund = expensive doggy back surgery, or so says my girlfriend. How can a triathlete have a fat pet? ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course you know we will need the standard photographic documentation upon completion of this task...

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
actually a before and after would be even better... ;)

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: Dog grooming at home [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know, I feel really guilty about it. He's a really good begger -- I swear he actually talks. And I used to be a total sap with the treats. By the time we noticed that he was really fat (that fur can conceal a world of sins), we put him on a diet. It's been about 18 mos. and while he's lost maybe a pound or two, he's ten years old and the weight just won't come off. He doesn't get on couches and doesn't jump down from high places, so I'm hoping we won't have to deal with back issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog grooming at home [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know that bad hair cut your mom gave you as a kid . . . . well, Alex looks a little silly, but I think with practice I'll improve. I did learn a few things. First, I should do this outside, not in the laundry room. There is hair everywhere. Second, the shaver needs to be applied with long, consistent strokes. He has a few bald patches, which are a testament to my inexperience. Finally, I learned what a great and patient dog I have. He seemed a little exasperated towards the end, but he never snapped.

Here are the pics, both before and after. Bear with me if the posting shows a red x or if the pics are huge. It's my first time posting pics and although I've read all the threads here before, it may take a few tries to work out the kinks.

Me and Alex Before

Alex Before

Alex's New Patches

Alex After
Last edited by: AmyCO: Jun 13, 05 12:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will say that my wife uses the same clippers on my head as she uses on our dog. I would recommend doing that because a lot of the inexpensive clippers out there are under powered as I have personally experienced. Our first clipper was a cheap $20 deal from Target. That sucker yanked on my hair so bad I threw the thing across the yard. We ended up spending about $60 on a really nice Wahl clipper. It was the best $60 ever spent. The thing has so much power it doesn't pull on my hair at all. (I have thick coarse hair that we shave without any of the plastic clips. I would call it a "0") So, now we also use it on our little dog and she practically falls asleep when we shave her down ( we use a "5" clip) and yes, our dog is very clean!! lol

Granted the stakes are a bit lower with the pooch but this reminds me of when I officially got "fired" from cutting my son's hair (which didn't take long btw). The poor little guy looked like a monk (no offense monk).

----
Don't hold back
Last edited by: jtaylor1024: Jun 13, 05 14:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL, that poor dog. But...practice makes perfect. Hopefully you don't practice on anyone else????

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amy, dear, that is such a bad job that your dog couldn't have done any worse if it had cut his own hair. Next time, the pooch should cut yours, just to be fair.

Amy--that poor animal would be justified in peeing on every carpet in your home, the couch and your bed pillow.
Last edited by: Monk: Jun 14, 05 5:19
Quote Reply
Re: Dog grooming at home [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know, I did find a yellow spot in the dining room today. He's so passive aggressive; all licky and lovey and then that:)

I'm not giving up, though. Since I'm on sabbatical from the legal profession, I need to find something productive to do with my time and I might as well learn a new skill. I'm giving the hair two weeks to grow out, and I'll go at him again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That poor little bugger - better not take him outside to have all his mates laugh at him :-) Reminds me of the first few times I cut my son's hair, when I was a single dad and desperately needed not to spend money. Took a few tries to get it right. So hang in there - you too, Amy.

Cheers

Barry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar attempt on our two Bichon's. Seemed like a good idea at the time. What I learned is that the guy I pay $55 each to groom them every month earns his money. It's a long job and requires a great deal of skill. I no longer feel bad about paying it given the alternative.

I do have a professional dryer that we use once in a while when they just need a bath, worth it if you have a dog that needs careful drying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh my god.

All the other dogs will laugh at him.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog grooming at home [bglading] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is your user name from a mystery novel, by any chance?
Quote Reply