Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PSA: Canada Oks Non-Prescription 'Morning After Pill'
Quote | Reply
From http://www.reuters.ca/locales/c_newsArticle.jsp?type=topNews&localeKey=en_CA&storyID=8243844

----------------------------------------------------------
Canada Oks Non-Prescription 'Morning After Pill'
Wed April 20, 2005 5:44 PM GMT-04:00

By Rachelle Younglai

TORONTO (Reuters) - Canada has approved the controversial "morning after pill" to be available without a prescription, giving women across the country earlier access to the contraceptive as soon as this week.

But the decision has divided the public, with supporters saying on Wednesday that easier access will reduce the number of abortions, and opponents saying it could promote promiscuity or be used as a regular form of birth control.

On Tuesday, the Canadian government decided the drug levonorgestrel -- marketed by Paladin Labs Inc. under the brand name Plan B -- would be allowed to be dispensed by pharmacists without a prescription.

The pill is 95 percent effective in preventing unintended pregnancy if taken within 24 hours of unprotected sex and is 85 percent effective if taken within 72 hours.

But, because a prescription was originally required, levonorgestrel was not always available within the recommended time period, especially during weekends and holidays.

The news appeared to be welcomed by women in Toronto.

"I'm all for it," 34-year old Andie Mills told Reuters while shopping downtown. "Young girls get into trouble and now they can go and deal with it right away."

Satisha Mangroo, a 15-year-old high school student echoed her sentiment but added: "It all depends on how old the girls are. If they are 18 or over that's OK. But, otherwise, they're too young. They should not even be thinking about sex."

Levonorgestrel in a 0.75 mg dose is the only emergency contraceptive approved for use in Canada.

The move was backed by a number of professional groups, including the Canadian Pharmacists Association, the College of Physicians and Surgeons, the Canadian Nurses Association and the Planned Parenthood Federation of Canada.

"Emergency contraception has the potential to significantly reduce the incidence of unintended pregnancy and the number of abortions performed," said Andre Lalonde, executive vice-president with the Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada.

The drug acts in a number of ways: by preventing the release of the egg from the ovary, preventing fertilization of the egg or preventing the fertilized egg from attaching to the wall of the uterus.

However, some groups such as Campaign Life Coalition slammed the decision, calling Health Canada irresponsible and said the drug is used to induce abortion.

"It's an abortifacient, so that is our concern, a newly conceived child is going to die and the woman is in serious danger of her health by taking medicine that's extremely strong," said Mary Ellen Douglas, the coalition's national organizer.

Abortion is a permitted medical procedure in Canada without any legal restrictions.

Vyta Senikas, a doctor and an executive with the Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, rebuffed claims that the drug induced abortions or that it would be used as a regular method of birth control.

"People seem to have the idea that adolescents are going to run rampant because they have this emergency contraceptive available and that due diligence will not be done. But there are several studies that show repeat offenders don't exist or exist in extremely small portions." she said.

The drug is made by U.S.-based Barr Pharmaceuticals Inc. and marketed and distributed by Montreal-based Paladin. One dose costs around C$25 ($20) along with a C$15 to C$25 pharmacist's consultation fee.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Canada Oks Non-Prescription 'Morning After Pill' [haris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bravo once again for Canada. It's a woman's choice and this legislation gets my full support.

Is this available in the USA?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Canada Oks Non-Prescription 'Morning After Pill' [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it is available in the USA...in the manner it was intended by the people who make it...by PRESCRIPTION. If you are willing to just hand out a pill that will with out question will cause bleeding, severe cramping, and serious liver damage...have at it. You can be proud that women can take it not only the "morning after"...but months after - with the same result - AWESOME!!! Lets see women in Canada with severe bleeding and a dead fetus in their uterus wait for a D&C!!! Also...what about the 25% of women who get an infection and need prescription antibiotics with their "Morning After Pill"? Will the OTC pill come with a months supply of Bactricin too? What is awesome is if a woman who has AID/HIV takes the "Morning After Pill" it will KILL HER almost surely!!! What a great way to get rid of AIDS patients...AWESOME!!! Way to go Canada!!!!

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Canada Oks Non-Prescription 'Morning After Pill' [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What you just wrote is simply bullshit. As in, complete-and-utter-made-up-on-the-spot-I-don't-know- what-the-fuck-am-I-talking-about-but-I-want-to-appear-smart
bullshit.

Canadian Pharmacists Association,
College of Physicians and Surgeons and
your own FDA don't agree with any of your claims.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/planB/planBQandA.htm

From FDA's press release about Plan B:

" FDA based its action primarily on the lack of data concerning OTC use of the product among adolescents younger than 16 years old. The sponsor’s application contained no data in subjects under 14 years of age and very limited data in adolescents 14 to 16 years old."
From
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/news/2004/NEW01064.html
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Canada Oks Non-Prescription 'Morning After Pill' [haris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What you just wrote is simply bullshit. As in, complete-and-utter-made-up-on-the-spot-I-don't-know- what-the-fuck-am-I-talking-about-but-I-want-to-appear-smart
bullshit.

Really? Wow..and to think that when I sent that I was talking to a OB at the time...guess he is wrong too...here ya go captain...you can read right?

In many of the studies with RU486, a common side effect is infections, usually in the pelvic or genital tract (13,14). One medical study stated that patients required a 6-week follow up treatment of antibiotics (15). Whenever the RU486 treatment led to an incomplete abortion (thus, requiring a D&C for a follow-up), up to 29.4% of the women reported an infection requiring antibiotic treatment (15).

During use of RU486 and Cytotec TM, medical studies cited patients reporting pain (79.1%, SEE 28) or severe uterine cramps (80.5%, SEE 7) to such a degree that many required opiate based painkillers. The percentage of patients in the studies reporting pain ranged from 57.1% to as high as 79.1%. Many patients required and were treated with injections of VERY strong analgesics (13).

Use of nonsteroid anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) will not relieve pain, BUT due to the NSAIDs capacity to block blood clotting, these drugs could enhance bleeding (SEE CHART 1). One case was reported in January 1996 (29) of a near death due to massive hemorrhaging (bleeding) by a patient using RU486. It must be noted that by the very nature of the RU486 abortion, the woman will bleed significantly during the process of expelling the embryo and associated tissues.

As previously mentioned, bleeding is a serious issue when dealing with RU486 abortions. A series of studies (13, 15, 31, 32) demonstrates that 1 to 11% of the women using RU486 suffered profuse bleeding. Some cases even required blood transfusions! (15, 29, 31, 32)

If a woman is not told to avoid over the counter pain medications, like NSAIDs, this could clearly INCREASE the incidence of severe bleeding and possible death.

Since the risk of infection is so prevalent, ALL users of RU486 need to be warned of the infection hazard. The problem is further complicated if the woman using RU486 has AIDS/HIV or other immunosuppressive diseases, since any infection would almost certainly run rampant in the patient and become a cause for a possible patient death.

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Canada Oks Non-Prescription 'Morning After Pill' [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And sorry, I dont hold the FDA in very high esteem. You seen all the drugs that they approve and then pull back? No? How about Vioxx? Hear of that one? That was safe too....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL

You cannot just take parts you like and not give us the whole picture.

From the page you clipped from:

"EDITOR’S NOTE: Lawrence Roberge M.S. was on the scientific advisory group that investigated RU486 for Americans United for Life (AUL) in 1994-1995. As a result of their research, AUL filed a complaint letter against the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) blocking the FDA attempt to put RU486 on fast track approval. Also as a result of this research, the FDA required the adverse effects information to be incorporated into the drug warning literature. The following article is based on some of that research."

Here's the page with the full article:

http://pages.map.com/lroberge/ru486.htm#REF-15

The author of the article is also author of:

From one of the pages on the web...

" LAWRENCE F. ROBERGE M.S.is a biotechnology consultant, college instructor, bioethicist, and biomedical researcher. He is the author of the new book, THE COST OF ABORTION (Four Winds Publications, LaGrange, GA, 1995). He has consulted for pharmaceutical, medical, and biotechnology corporations across the United States, Canada, and Europe. He has published research on neuroscience, biomedicine, abortion vaccine technology, and the adverse effects of abortion on women. "

I'll take FDA over that biased quack any day.

http://www.optruth.org/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biased Quack? Why would ANY doctor be Biased over a drug that it is illegal for them to profit for prescribing? What did some doctor dump you or something? Not pass your MCAT's? Seems to me that you really dont like doctors...that last prostate exam not fulfulling?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The drug we're talking about, levonorgestrel, is not the same thing as RU486 (mifepristone)

Some more food for thought though...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...p;list_uids=15632336

I think that I was happier in the 6th grade when I thought that if a penis was to enter a vagina a baby was soon to be on the way (they never told us that the egg was not always waiting)...and if you had unprotected sex...you were going to die and your penis was going to get a big schanker with puss dripping from it...and it hurts bad (how do you say pussy and mean infection with out pussy being taken as a vagina in the context of a sexual post?)

Ahhh...ignorance is bliss...and some people should be VERY happy.

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Canada Oks Non-Prescription 'Morning After Pill' [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen. And it might promote promiscuity? HELLO. Welcome to 2005 where sex is everywhere but the Kindergarten (I hope).

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really? Wow..and to think that when I sent that I was talking to a OB at the time...guess he is wrong too

Well he may be right if he's talking about RU486 (Mifepristone), but the drug that was legalized for behind the counter sales in Canada was not RU486, it was levonorgestrel (aka Plan B).,,, so the OB was misinformed. Check the other thread.

According to this article Plan B is available in 30 countries without a prescription

http://www.baltimoresun.com/...coll=bal-news-nation

Can we at least get on the same page and talk about the same drug.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Canada Oks Non-Prescription 'Morning After Pill' [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Can we at least get on the same page and talk about the same drug."

You're forgetting the Lavendar Room golden rule:

"Never let facts get in the way of a good rant."

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply