Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Attention all Kiwis-I need assistance
Quote | Reply
We are getting married in August and planning on a 10 day honeymoon in New Zealand. We are planning on flying into Auckland and driving to Queenstown over the 10 days.

Any suggestions as to places to stay(preferably B & B's) and places to eat would be appreciated(preferably native food and culture).

Recommendations for wineries in the Wellington and Queenstown area would also be helpful.

If you have any must see activities please share your experiences.

So far we are looking at visiting Hobbbiton, riding the innertubes through the caves @ Waitomo, visiting the thermal caves @ TAupo, whale watching and dolphin swimming @ Kiakoura, kayaking in Abel tasman, Heli-hike the Franz josef Glacier, an overnight cruise on the doubtful sound and white water rafting the shotover river.

If you have any specific recomendations or thoughts on the above please let me know.

Thanks,

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Attention all Kiwis-I need assistance [Barrio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went through Rotorua when I was living in NZ as a student for the Maori village tour. I've included a link. I generally shy away from tourist type things but I thought this was pretty cool and the bus drivers were incredible in making everyone feel at home (I was with a buddy and we were probably the youngest by 10 years, still had fun).

http://www.tourism.net.nz/...amaki-maori-village/

Also, if you are in Rotorua the street luge is unbelievable, and really dangerous. Super fun though. I did a few of the other things on your list and loved them, esp. Abel Tasman hike and Kayak. If you make it down to queenstown the bungeys are unreal. We did 3 bungees and a sky dive in 24 hours. Even if you have no interest in jumping you should go watch a bit. Can't help much on food or accomodations we were all hostels and take out........

------------------------------------------------------------

"He broke into the long easy lope, and went on, hour after hour, never at loss for the tangled way, heading straight home through strange country with a certitude of direction that put man and his magnetic needle to shame."

-Call of the Wild
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hi there

I have nothing specific for you, but you seem to have a lot on your agenda there for a 10 day trip. I presume you are flying back from the south and leaving from Auckland?

Also, I would be inclined to do more in the South Island - it is more beautiful, much less populated, and at that time of the year will be crisp, cold, and quite spectacular.

I think CLM's website has details of a trip she did with her folks a couple of years back....I don't know how to do the link thing but the address is http//ironclm.typepad.com/, or something. She may also have some good tips for you.

cheers

Patrick

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Re: Attention all Kiwis-I need assistance [MtTamRnr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info.

We are definitely doing the Maori evening. Just a question of whether it is in Rotorua or Queenstown.

Have you done the luge in Queenstown?
Quote Reply
Re: Attention all Kiwis-I need assistance [kiwipat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info on CLM. Will check it out.

Yes, we are flying from Queenstown to Auckland then home. We plan on doing a few things in the North as we drive down and spend most of our time in the south.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, didn't do the luge in Queenstown but I'm sure the idea is the same. Queenstown is definitely the more scenic of the two towns so if Rotorua is off your planned circuit I'd do Maori village in Queenstown. Over the course of the year I spent in NQ (2 different trips) we tried most of the adventure activities and circled the country by car at least once. Any specific questions feel free to PM me.

West Coast South Island is spectacular!

------------------------------------------------------------

"He broke into the long easy lope, and went on, hour after hour, never at loss for the tangled way, heading straight home through strange country with a certitude of direction that put man and his magnetic needle to shame."

-Call of the Wild
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are some of my notes....with race stuff mostly edited out.

Some answers to questions I've been asked a bunch of times:

* No, you can't do both NZ and Australia in three weeks. You'd be hard pressed to see the all of NZ in three weeks. It's a small country, but it's two islands and the pace of life is way kicked back (they have no freeways). It's so beautiful there and the North and South Island are like two different worlds. If you can, get to both of them.

* The people are the best.

* The food is quite good. Lots of beef and lamb and fish. The beer is AWESOME! Tui is my favorite, but Specht's is good too, as is Steinlager.

* Yes, they drive on the "wrong" side of the road and the car. It's not too hard to get used to generally. Actually, I have an easier time driving there. Maybe I'm driver dyslexic. And yes, you will race on the bike on the LEFT, staying LEFT. Learn to take a water bottle with your left hand.

* Jet lag: From the U.S. west coast, the time difference is only 3 hours (plus a day), so it's like going from NY to here or here to HI. No jet lag at all. You generally arrive early in the morning and it's a 4 hour drive to Taupo. Get a good night sleep the first night in NZ and you'll never know you are traveling. Coming home...different story.

Travel tips:

* Definitely bring some snacks and a big bottle of water for the plane. If you are on Air NZ, then most of the flight will be IM people, at least going over and it's fun to meet everyone. Coming home, it was the senior citizen brigade. They show you about 3 movies and feed you every few hours. Going wasn't so bad; coming home was a bear (but I was sick and the plane was packed).

* Money: What I usually do is to take $50 US and change that at the Auckland airport just to have some handy cash. Then, when I get to Taupo, I'll use my ATM card to get cash from the machines. Or, but as much as you can on plastic for better exchange rates.

My prior trips:

You know what, first of all, unless you are staying for a month or two, there is no way you can see both islands. Things are just too spread out to do in a short period of time (week to 10 days). Second, there are NO freeways, so if you are driving, you don't get anywhere very fast, especially on the South Island. Third, it doesn't matter where you go, it's all terrific. (Though I agree, pass through Hamilton on the drive down and instead stop in Cambridge--a great little town.) Which is why I'll be coming back for the fourth time in three years. Edit: I've now been 5 times and maybe a 6th trip in December.

First trip: 10 days, including race. Post race, we stayed in Taupo, using it as a base for day trips. I got sick right after the race, so the parental units saw more than I did.

Second trip: 3 weeks, including race. We drove down to Wellington after the race, took the ferry across to the So. Island, drove down the east coast to Christchurch, spending a couple of days there. Then, drove across to the west coast and down to the glaciers (excellent!), then back up the west coast to Greymouth (I'd go back and spend more time there), then back to the ferry and back up through the No. Island. Way too much driving.

Third trip: Hung in Auckland for a few days and did some sightseeing with the locals. Went to Taupo and hung out there, riding my bike and hiking around and doing a little race. I highly recommend the Leppin Half Ironman in December.

Fourth trip: About 9 days total. Went to the race, didn't race. Watched everyone else race. Drove back to Auckland and spent a couple of nights there with friends before flying home.

Where I haven't been, but want to: The coast up by Ohope, the northern islands, Fiordland--I'd like to do the Milford Trek, Mt. Cook (we saw it, but from Fox Glacier side). I'd spend more time in ChristChurch. I liked it a lot better than Auckland. I'd go back to Wellington and spend more time there. Auckland is a lot like San Francisco, so I'll go there just to see friends. And I do love Taupo. Someday I'll buy a house there, after I buy my house in France.

I have some specific B&B recommendations on the computer at work which I'll post later.
clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Attention all Kiwis-I need assistance [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few B&B suggestions:

North Island:

Are you staying a night in Auckland? If so, this place is great. Nice neighborhood.

http://www.devereux.co.nz/welcome.htm

In Taupo, I'm just a little partial to Gillies Lodge. Margie and Alan are super and the place is very peaceful and not too far from the lake.

http://www.beds-n-leisure.com/gillies-lodge/

South Island:

In Greymouth (top 1/3 of the South Island on the West Coast), I very highly suggest http://www.breakers.co.nz/

We stayed at Fox Glacier and this place was pretty nice.

http://www.teweheka.co.nz/

Christchurch was great. I liked it the best of the three large cities. No lodging recommendations since we stayed with Gordo.

I'd also second the visit to the Maori village in Rotarura. Eating corn on the cob straight from the hot pools was a kick. Walking the Tongariro Crossing is also on my list of things to do. I would maybe not be tied to a set schedule and instead, see where things take you.

Kiwi clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Queenstown area:
- Chard Farm wineries - good pinot noirs
- There is a cider brewery just N of Queenstown, can't remember the name right now, awesome stuff.

I'll dig out my travel logs w/B&B info and get back to you later.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply