Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you view this thread you have to post to it [justcallmejoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justcallmejoe wrote:

Quote:
Re: If you view this thread you have to post to it [JenSw]

No I don't.

This thread is evil...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: If you view this thread you have to post to it [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang, I haven’t seen you post for years!

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
🤷‍♂️

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: If you view this thread you have to post to it [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't figure out the last time I posted before yesterday since the "View Posts" doesn't go in chronological order as far as I can tell but yeah, it's been a couple years.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welp rules are rules. Happy New Years!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is the thread on the cyclist in Belgium hitting the kid?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tucker is curious about it

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i am so glad to hear that you are doing well doing this and that

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you still able to run? I came across this thread after seeing one of your posts from 2015. I hope you can still run.

this
JenSw wrote:
I can't figure out the last time I posted before yesterday since the "View Posts" doesn't go in chronological order as far as I can tell but yeah, it's been a couple years.
Quote Reply
Re: If you view this thread you have to post to it [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cannot. I had a knee replacement in 2016 and I'm now dealing with chronic pain. The insert is stable but I will always have some pain. No impact sports, no sports that require me to fast changes in direction, like tennis. Huge bummer.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
I cannot. I had a knee replacement in 2016 and I'm now dealing with chronic pain. The insert is stable but I will always have some pain. No impact sports, no sports that require me to fast changes in direction, like tennis. Huge bummer.

Healing up from a ruptured Achilles and this is my fear. Not being able to get back to the things I like.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: If you view this thread you have to post to it [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lost full range of motion in my knee and have to be really careful about impact overall. Part of me regrets the surgery but I was in pain just walking. I can now walk 12 miles, flat surface, but my knee does hurt, just not as bad as before.

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: If you view this thread you have to post to it [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your knee. I had a total knee replacement last August and it has been a nightmare. I still have pain and can’t bend my knee more than about 95°. That means I can’t ride a stationary bike. Thankfully, I can swim and do the elliptical. But after an Ironman a year for 11 years, this is a real adjustment. This aging is for the birds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got nothin. But I did post, so i have that going for me
Quote Reply
Re: If you view this thread you have to post to it [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brutal. Sorry to hear it's been so difficult. I did Ironman then moved to ultramarathons and my least year of running I was working on getting faster at half-marathons. I miss running so much.

I've lost a lot of ROM as well. It's really limiting. Getting in and out of trucks, trying to take any large step up or down, is awkward and sometimes require sliding down more than stepping.

I got mine at 48yo because I wanted to be young enough to heal quicker and get back to close to normal. I always know I'd never run again but I didn't expect to be in varying levels of pain all the time. I can do long walks, up to 12 miles now, but I'm on a flat urban trail and it is really sore. I've had a second opinion and the Dr said there wasn't anything wrong with the insert, I'm not damaging it, I just need to learn to accept a certain level of pain if I want to be active at all. I still worry about injuring it and not being able to walk so I haven't been doing any hiking. Slippery rocks, unstable footing, water crossings...terrifying. I volunteer in the command area for our county search and rescue. I'd be horrified if I had to call them in to pack me out. They'd all give me so much shit about it, for years.

It's weird because I know someone who had a TKR and she ended up doing another Ironman, walking the marathon. She is thrilled she did it. I know someone else who is similar to me.

If we lived closer we could compare scars and hobble down the sidewalk, bitching about being old.

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: If you view this thread you have to post to it [IMKEN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a rule breaker, are you?

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can walk 12 miles, I’m jealous. During and after a brisk 3 mile walk, I have lots of pain. Soreness wouldn’t be the word to describe it. It’s actual pain. I’m 61 years old, still go to the gym every day, and look very fit, but the recovery from the total replacement is much worse than I ever expected. Most people with a replacement were not super active prior to surgery. That may be why they are more satisfied with their surgery. I thought I’d be running again. I now realize that won’t be happening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm Canadian, so I'm naturally very compliant. Most of the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember this post from 2012 but I think I recall not opening bc I was somewhat new adn didn't want to put on the spot. I'm back and making up for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scout and Tuna Dog hope that you make an eventual, full recovery!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
Sorry to hear about your knee. I had a total knee replacement last August and it has been a nightmare. I still have pain and can’t bend my knee more than about 95°. That means I can’t ride a stationary bike. Thankfully, I can swim and do the elliptical. But after an Ironman a year for 11 years, this is a real adjustment. This aging is for the birds.

Does your doc have a reason that you are limited in flexion? Should be close to 120°. I had my TKR in 2015 and it still bugs me, but more issues in that the glutes are not working like they are supposed to which means the quads and hams take over and that throws everything off. At least I can ride (though trying to stand up and pedal is not good!) and swim and go to yoga. Walking is probably the worst of anything, but that may be due to lack of doing it. Probably the worst thing is that I don't have feeling mostly around my knee which makes it feel weird.

Has it been suggested to put you under and force flexion? I was terrified of that as I was stuck at about 85° for quite awhile, but through PT and the gym and the bike, it suddenly opened up and I'm now at 125°.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: If you view this thread you have to post to it [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I am one of approximately 5% of patients who develop arthrofibrosis after knee replacement surgery. I have been going to physical therapy a few days a week but it doesn’t seem to be having any noticeable impact on my range of motion. I also had a manipulation under anesthesia seven or eight weeks after surgery. It did nothing. Apparently my superpower is scaring. Walking is very painful, but I am going to start to walk at least 3 miles a day. I also do elliptical an hour a day. I will make it work. I have no choice.

ironclm wrote:
imsparticus wrote:

Does your doc have a reason that you are limited in flexion? Should be close to 120°. I had my TKR in 2015 and it still bugs me, but more issues in that the glutes are not working like they are supposed to which means the quads and hams take over and that throws everything off. At least I can ride (though trying to stand up and pedal is not good!) and swim and go to yoga. Walking is probably the worst of anything, but that may be due to lack of doing it. Probably the worst thing is that I don't have feeling mostly around my knee which makes it feel weird.

Has it been suggested to put you under and force flexion? I was terrified of that as I was stuck at about 85° for quite awhile, but through PT and the gym and the bike, it suddenly opened up and I'm now at 125°.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn! Very sorry to hear this. But walking is good. I've even tried a little slow shuffling at times and actually jogging on one of those $9K non-motorized treadmills.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next