Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fix my chicken
Quote | Reply
So, anybody know how a hen that's gone all broody?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Fix my chicken [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We talking about your hen or wife? (sorry if that was a bad joke, I tried)

I have no specific tips, though I can ask my Mom or random family members in MO who will look at me like I'm an idiot for not knowing. But here are some useful links.

Message board:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/farmlife/msg042326497583.html

General info:

http://encyclopedia.lockergnome.com/s/b/Chicken#Going_broody

http://www.minifarmhomestead.com/Critters/chickendef.htm
** Broodiness (or Setting) – This is genetic, as broodiness has been largely breed out of most production strains. The Mediterranean classes are also not noted for their broodiness. Most Heavy Breed of hens will go broody as will most bantams. You can not make a hen go broody. There is no special feed or hormones that you can give. Most hens will set during the spring, when the number of hours of daylight is increasing. Broodiness is part of the early molt process. A hen will loose the feathers on her breast. The eggs are warmed by the skin of her breast, not by her feathers. Her body temperature also has to drop to about 100 degrees F. and her metabolism has to drop. A hen will lay only one egg every day or two. She does not start to incubate them until the whole clutch is laid, so that all the chicks will hatch at the same time. She will remain on them, with her wings slightly spread to help keep them warm, for 21 days. She will make growling sounds if disturbed, and may even peck or otherwise try to defend her nest. She will only leave the nest once a day to eat, drink and poop. You should make sure the hen does do this at least every other day so she will not either starve or get the eggs dirty with her droppings. By the way, Broody droppings usually come out in one large, very bad-smelling glob. Once the chicks start to hatch she will remain on the nest with them for 24-48 hours. Any eggs that have not hatched by then will be left behind when she takes the chicks for their first walk. At this time water and chick feed should be available for the chicks. A hen is also called broody when she is raising her chicks, protecting them, teaching them to find food, and hovering over them to keep them warm.
Quote Reply
Re: Fix my chicken [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does that apply to a laying hen, do you know? I don't have any roosters. The dumb cluck just starting sitting up in the nest about a week ago- she isn't even sitting on any eggs usually, the idiot.

Thanks for the links!

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my quick read of it all, yes, it does apply to a laying hen. But I'm a "big city" type, so who knows.

What good is the internet if www.broodychicken.com doesn't exist?
Quote Reply
Re: Fix my chicken [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What good is the internet if http://www.broodychicken.com doesn't exist?

It probably does exist. I'm just afraid to look. ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll take "Threads I Never in a Million Years Thought I'd See on Slowtwitch.com" for 1000, Alex.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geeze, I don't know... fixing a brooding chicken... kind of like treating a psychotic pig? (they all come out cured)

Roast
Noodle Soup
BBQ
Stir fry

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, here's what my dad said when I presented him with the broody hen problem (he has a degree in animal husbandry): "Sounds like she needs a cock."

I think I'm adopted:)
Quote Reply
Re: Fix my chicken [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You probably were adopted but they made your parents take you back.
;)
Jay

Jay
Quote Reply