Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Intolerance toward the conservative view
Quote | Reply
[/url]Pat Buchanan doused with salad dressing

Friday, April 1, 2005 Posted: 9:48 AM EST (1448 GMT)
Pat Buchanan cut short an appearance Thursday after a student threw salad dressing on him. MLive.com - Everything Kalamazoo, MI
Anything you want to know about Kalamazoo, Michigan, you'll find it here. From...
www.mlive.com Kalamazoo Michigan
Special Internet rates for hotels in Kalamazoo Michigan. Quick, easy and secure...
www.hotelsbycity.com New Homes in Kalamazoo, MI - Allen Edwin
Allen Edwin Homes is a leading SW Michigan's home builder. Allen Edwin builds...
www.allenedwin.com Kalamazoo, MI Hotels - Compare Prices
Before booking a hotel, compare hotel room rates at Nextag.
www.nextag.com YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS Pat Buchanan or Create your own Manage alerts | What is this?

KALAMAZOO, Michigan (AP) -- Commentator and former presidential candidate Pat Buchanan cut short an appearance after an opponent of his conservative views doused him with salad dressing.

"Stop the bigotry!" the demonstrator shouted as he hurled the liquid Thursday night during the program at Western Michigan University. The incident came just two days after another noted conservative, William Kristol, was struck by a pie during an appearance at a college in Indiana.

After he was hit, Buchanan cut short his question-and-answer session with the audience, saying, "Thank you all for coming, but I'm going to have to get my hair washed."

The demonstrator, identified by authorities as a 24-year-old student at Kalamazoo Valley Community College, was arrested and faces a misdemeanor charge of disturbing the peace. He was released on a $100 cash bond, pending his April 14 arraignment.

"He could have faced a felony assault charge, but Pat Buchanan decided to not press that charge," university spokesman Matt Kurz said.

Buchanan's visit had evoked controversy on campus because it fell on the birthday of the late Mexican-American labor leader Cesar Chavez. Buchanan favors tighter controls on immigration.

Kristol, editor of the influential conservative magazine The Weekly Standard and former chief of staff to Vice President Quayle, was splattered by a student during a speech Tuesday at Earlham College in Richmond, Indiana.

Members of the audience at the Quaker college jeered the student, then applauded as Kristol wiped the pie from his face and said, "Just let me finish this point." Kristol then completed his speech and took questions from the audience.

The student, who was not immediately identified, was suspended and could face expulsion following a disciplinary review, Earlham Provost Len Clark said Wednesday.

Clark also issued a written apology complimenting Kristol for his "graciousness."

I was raised with the attitude I may disagree with what you say but I will defend with my life your right to say it. I don't think intolerance can be beat with more intolerance.

If you disagree with what someone says don't attend the speech, turn off the TV channel, don't go to their movies, don't buy their product. This method is not the way to make your point.

All this jerk off did was actually find a way to make Pat Buchanon look human. Which I didn't think was possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Intolerance toward the conservative view [Barrio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boo hoo

Quote | Reply
He threw the dressing at the wrong guy. Buchanan is a stand up straight shooting no nonsense guy...I disagree with just about everything that comes out of his mouth but at least he's honest and has no qualms about criticizing the present administration when they are out of line.

Kristol on the other hand is a smarmy mealy mouthed apologist for Bushco.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just another in the long line of intolerance from some on the left who disagree with someone on the other side of the political spectrum. Anne Coulter has been hit twice. I do not seem to recall any left wing idealog ever being acosted for expressing their views. As recently exampled with Ward Churchill saying more Americans should die so we will wake up and see how bad of a country we are. I do not condone any kind of violence towards anyone but if ever a person deserved to be hit with a pie in the face it would be that guy.
Quote Reply
Re: Intolerance toward the conservative view [armytriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off, I like Buchanan and think throwing things at anybody is stupid.

Ann Coulter, hmmm, the one that has said the left is traitorous... yeah, throwing pies is definitely worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right wingers don't throw pies, they shoot doctors and blow up Federal buildings.

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: Intolerance toward the conservative view [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure it'll get me yelled at, but I think MLK Jr's assassination is worth mentioning as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And left wing radical groups like Greenpeace blow up car dealers. Whats the point? Violence is wrong as I originally stated. The radical right does not have a vrtuous leg to stand on any more than the left. There are fringe kooks on both sides. My original point was, and I should have stated it, is that left wing views are tolerated on college campuses where those on the right are not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dunno about that ATG...Bob JOnes University is pretty intolerant of liberal points of view and actively supports conservatism.

No side has a monopoly on intolerance or on lunatic fringes and the mainstream of both parties pretty much agree 90% of the time....but the lunatic right scares me much more than the lunatic left....thats the main reason I register as a Democrat...Tom Delay scares me more than Barbara Lee..A LOT MORE.

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are spot on with your observtion of Bob Jones University and I would definitely place them on that far right fringe. But you gotta admit you know where they stand:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is too bad, if the Republicans could just get their message out there they might be a formidable political party, damn the Liberals for always kicking a man when he is down!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buchanan is a stand up straight shooting no nonsense guy

Kristol on the other hand is a smarmy mealy mouthed apologist for Bushco.

Two things we agree on completely. How 'bout that?

What kind of nitwit throws salad dressing at someone? At least creaming someone with pie has an iota of style about it. Condiments as a means of assualt? Pathetic.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Intolerance toward the conservative view [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
APRIL FOOL!

;-)

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This why I hate extremists on either side. Liberal/conservative, they're all whacked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 And left wing radical groups like Greenpeace blow up car dealers.
----
HUH? got a source for that, or just making S#it up now? I think you mean "Earth Liberation Front", which is about as close to Greenpeace as you are to Ralph Nader.

Last time I hear "greenpeace" and "blow up" in the same sentence was when the Greenpeacers were when they died ON the boat the French Secret Service blew up.

Yeah, Pinochet's executions in football stadiums are really popular with the Theta Delta Alpha crowd.

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Re: Intolerance toward the conservative view [JoB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Bad. You are correct. It was ELF. Greenpeace is a left wing group however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks - sorry for the harsh responese. GP, afaik, is politically neutral (their HQs are in London I think), but their goals are obviously more in line with Dems than Repubs in the US. IOW, yeah lefty, but the nice, tree-hugging variety that cares for the environment! :-)

Actually, they're one of the best-run multinational non-profits around. I really think they do a lot more good than harm (as evil as being 'left wing' may make them ;-).

On a tangent, there was a really interesting in yesterday's Wash Post on how perceived far-righters like Buchanan, Bauer, etc., are collaborating with perceived leftiy enviro groups on reducing the US's dependency on oil. So generally I think the left-right label doesn't apply all that much. Just think of the Repubs spending like a drunken sailor on leave, instituting one level of federal control after another (education, security, right to die), and the Dems all in arms about it. Nothing right wing/conservative about that, right?

Just wait, I'll turn you into a faithful Democrat. You ARE a union member, right? (that was a joke...)

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Re: Intolerance toward the conservative view [JoB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there's probably some USN Ship's Captains that might quibble with your characterization of Green Peace.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Intolerance toward the conservative view [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahh, quibble I can deal with.

Noticed my carefully worded 'more good than harm'? ;-)

Although I don't know specifically what you're talking about with the USN (care to elaborate?), I do know that they're pretty badass/insane when it comes to going in front of oversized tankers, whaling and I guess war ships, in little inflatable boats...

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Re: Intolerance toward the conservative view [sevans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"This why I hate extremists on either side. Liberal/conservative, they're all whacked."

How true! In my reading of the constitution I haven't found anything that says the people are limited to electing someone from a major political party. Rather, the government is supposed to represent the wishes of people. However, what we now have is a system where we elect representatives of the views of a party without regard to what the people actually want. We had many years of Democrat control and now we have Republican control. It's abundantly clear that neither of these parties really gives a damn about what the people want. The parties exist to further their own agendas and to keep or expand their power. If there is intolerance toward anyone, it's toward independents. In a country where a sizeable number of people could be classified as independent, there is virtually no representation whatsoever. In some instances it almost seems as if people vote for candidates from a political party for the same reason they believe in a god - faith that something good will happen despite evidence to the contrary. Some don't even know why they vote the way they do other than knowing their vote for their party is a vote against the other party. Doesn't really matter if their candidate is a total whacko, as long as the other party doesn't win. What nonsense! It's highly doubtful the majority of Americans are as polarized as some appear to claim. More likely the vast majority is very close to the middle. They end up settling for a candidate who only partially represents them. It's no wonder so many people don't even vote, although if the non-voters alligned with an independent candidate(s) the parties could possibly be put out to pasture.

Don
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buchanan should have pressed charges. Not doing so encourages other gits to act the same or worse. Being young is not an excuse for stupidity although many people believe it to be.

To be fair the conservatives demonstration against abortion are just as bad if not worse.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Intolerance toward the conservative view [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DEATH TO ALL FANATICS!!!

saw that bumper sticker on my lunchtime run and chuckled.

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm usually fairly silent on these type things. When you choose to enter public life odd things do happen. Not that good ol' pat deserved such. I do find that this type of incident is most always carried out by the "fringe" liberals those who talk loud in a crowd. But what really pisses me off is they do it in public where they know the police will stop any retribution directed at them. I have also found when I was younger and tried to get these little turds stirred up enough to fight. They always backed down for some reason. "GUTTLESS" If more a few of them got dropped on their ass for doing such i'm pretty sure it would happen less.
Quote Reply