Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Politically Affiliated Economy?
Quote | Reply
Are we headed to an economy where most of our purchases are driven by political, philosophical and religious philosophies? Consumers in the US have been protesting corporations who they do not like by boycotting their products. This has been done either for labor practices, to protest apatheid, and to protest non-US manufactured goods.

However, in a separate thread an article was posted ( http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread ) where a few consumers state they won't buy goods from companies based on the politics of the company (Ben and Jerry's and Starbucks in this one instance).

Should companies avoid having affiliations that consumers might disagree with? Is it just another example of how the free market is consumers "voting" with their dollars? Should MORE companies be doing this? If so, do we run the risk of having liberal and conservative super markets etc?

People seem to take the differences we all share in our political views so fiercely these days that group A might consider never shopping at a certain national chain they feel is sympathetic to group B's cause. Am I nuts for having a small fear this may eventually happen? People already "boycott" certain news outlets and television networks because of biases (real or not).
Quote Reply
Re: Politically Affiliated Economy? [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you overestimate the political interest of the majority of Americans. There will always be far more important issues for consumers (like price) compared to the political ideology of any company.

I don't think this is a new phenomenon. People boycotted certain tuna companies because of dolphin safety. Throughout history people have boycotted products made in or by companies owned by foreign nations. People choose their products based on lots of things, politics being only one of them.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. First of all, the majority of consumers are not aware of the political, social, or environmental philosophies (or lack thereof) of most suppliers. They just don't have the time or interest. Second, most large corporations will go to great pains to straddle the fence on most issues precisely to avoid alienating any portion of the consuming public. Ben and Jerry's and Starbucks really cater to a "niche" market--not the masses. Third, most consumers are primarily concerned with the health, wealth and well-being of thier own selves or families, not the fate of the orangutans in Borneo's rain forest. They are looking for the most value for their purchasing buck so they can maximize what they can squeeze out of their paycheck.

Personally though, I will not go see movies with certain actors in them (i.e., Jane Fonda for one) because of the political stances of the "stars."
Quote Reply
Re: Politically Affiliated Economy? [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really hope I'm wrong. And you are entirely correct in that the majority of Americans have more important things to worry about. It would take some pretty serious craziness on the part of a business to get me to not purchase something I want/need from them because of their non-business politics. But the vitriole these days, I don't know, it just makes me wonder. I've always gone with a "You don't have to like the band to like the music" view, but I'm not too sure that view is followed much these days.

However, I would just note the fanatical (and I use that literally) brand loyalty that exists in the NASCAR market. People will literally HATE a driver and his corporate sponsor because that person supports a different car. I had a roommate that refused to let me drink Miller Lite because he like Dale Jr. Now he should have not let me do it cause it is crap beer, but it was based on solely on his NASCAR affiliation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I had a roommate that refused to let me drink Miller Lite because he like Dale Jr. Now he should have not let me do it cause it is crap beer, but it was based on solely on his NASCAR affiliation.
At least the oucome is good in the end ;)

I guess I see nothing wrong with the concept of supporting or avoiding a company's products because of their politics or whatever. This allows companies to make market niches for themselves and increases competition in the market place. I've eaten at restaurants or bought products from local companies primarily because they sponsored a local triathlon. It is my way of thanking them for their support and also encouraging other companies to provide similar sponsorships. We also support a company that is a major sponsor to our charity of choice. I've made recommendations to use a particular LBS and paid a little extra to buy my wheels from them because they provided complimentary service on our Christmas charity drive where we gave away bikes to low-income children.

I guess I just don't see that this as a bad thing.

Quote | Reply
Most Americans would probably say that they prefer to buy products made in America and not made by children, etc. But the reality is that most Americans just buy whatever is cheap at Wal*Mart, even if it just saves them a few cents, without any regard to where or how it was made or who is profiting from it.

Quote | Reply
It is a business decision for most companies. As other posters have wrote most companies try to stay in the background and not advertise any political leanings. Some exploit those leanings(starbucks, wild oats, ben & Jerry's) but hope that their product is popular enough that their political leanings do not have an effect on the bottom line.

Personally I would not boycott any "news" source simply because i want to see both sides of an issue and make my own decisions. However, I do not drink starbucks, I absolutley refuse to see a susan sarandon or tim robbins movie, simply because I do not agree witht heir politics.

This is what makes america, america. We all have the right to express our opinions but we also have the right to avoid your opinion or product. Unfortunately it is an aspect of america that is slowly being eroded.
Quote Reply
Re: Politically Affiliated Economy? [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. However, I shop at stores that I own stock in rather then give my $ to some other stockholder.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Politically Affiliated Economy? [direwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too true. And it doesn't help when Wal-Mart sends out the corporate message about being good for america when behnd the scenes they squeeze the sh*t out of all their suppliers... I bet 95% of what they sell is made in China.

I personally try to buy everything at small local merchants, esp. foodstuffs (where most of my budget goes anyways). They appreciate the business, I get kick ass products and service, the community wins, it's good all around. But it's a conscious choice and one that proably costs me an extra few hundred $ per month.
Quote Reply
Re: Politically Affiliated Economy? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where would you have spent those few extra hundreds?
Quote Reply