Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I gotta know...trivia people may know
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I had a something in my head that mystified me.

Why is it that a group of a species of animals is given a special name? Pod, Herd, Flock, Sloth, Colony,Drove, Litter.

Why can't we just say a group of ______ and keep english simple?

Last edited by: AJHull: Mar 28, 05 9:24
Quote Reply
Re: I gotta know...trivia people may know [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL....

Ah grasshopper, you have much to learn. When you can take the pebble from my hand, you can go into the world...

We *can* say a "group of XX", problem is we choose not to. Sometimes I think it's from animal biologists who want to make their field sexier. Of course it could be the need for us to obfuscate information - only the elites, the educated ones would have that info, thus info is power, along that line of thinking...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
left out "murder" - murder of crows. school, swarm, covey,... I know, I didn't help.
Jay

Congregation?

Jay
Quote Reply
Re: I gotta know...trivia people may know [ridesign] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
left out "murder" - murder of crows.
Right, and the song title "A Murder of One" by the Counting Crows woulnd't be nearly as clever is we just called them a group of crows.

Because biologists need to make a living just like anyone else. If it was easy, anyone could do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone has got to know the answer to this. I have to BUMP it.

Demerly...I would think this is up your alley of knowledge/trivia.

Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe most of the names come from medieval England. When rich nobles had nothing to do all day but hunt and push around the serfs. So you have a parliament of owls (owls were supposed to be wise not to be confuse with the 70's band with George Clinton) and a murder of crows (probably because crows are peoples souls). After awhile it became a symbol of woodlore for hunters and such.

PS. I asked my wife who has a BS in Anthropology and took some linguistics classes as part of the major. The pushing around serfs was pure dramatic flair on my part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, You have way too much time on your hands.
Quote Reply