Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My New and Improved Theory on the Real Estate Market
Quote | Reply
Some factoids:

###
The Washington-based National Association of Realtors released a study that showed that nearly one in four U.S. homes bought in 2004 was purchased for investment purposes; 13 percent were bought as vacation homes.

House prices rose in 2004 at their fastest rate in 25 years, according to a government report released yesterday. The average price of a single-family home financed through secondary mortgage giants Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac rose 11.2 percent over the year, the strongest annual growth rate since 1979, according to the government's quarterly house price index.

Together, that constituted the surging second-home market, which accounted for 36 percent of the 7.7 million homes sold in the country last year. Second-home sales were up 16.3 percent over 2003.

The appreciation rate slowed dramatically, however, in the fourth quarter, to 1.7 percent, barely a third of the rate for the previous three months, according to the report.

"The second-home market is firing on all cylinders," said David Lereah, chief economist of the Washington-based Realtor group. "And it's middle Americans who are buying, not high-flying investors."

Lereah said baby boomers, the largest generation in American history, are in their peak earning years and they are the ones buying second homes in record numbers. He said American households increasingly saw real estate as an option to other investment vehicles. Historically low interest rates have also fueled the fire.

###

So, that makes me seriously wonder what will happen as the baby boomer generation continues to age. We'll be left with the largest economic segment of our economy's population owning the majority of real estate with a small market to sell into. So an excess of supply could result.

If interest rates increase that could create a rush on selling as people try to check out early. This is a bad strategy in my eyes as if you own a second home as a rental property, or even vacation property, you can hold on to it and keep renting as an income source.

And at some point (based on my first hypothesis) baby boomers are going to have to cash out in order to realize the biggest potential for economic gain on their investments. Although maybe all these nice parents will just leave their houses to their kids.

So to me this looks like we'll have a house dump in about 10-20 years (or so)

I made that up on the fly, so I know it sucks, to all you out there who are way smarter please feel free to tell me my mistakes.
Quote Reply
Re: My New and Improved Theory on the Real Estate Market [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"which accounted for 36 percent of the 7.7 million homes sold in the country last year."

Holy freakin' cow! That's just amazing to me.

"And at some point (based on my first hypothesis) baby boomers are going to have to cash out in order to realize the biggest potential for economic gain on their investments."

How about reverse mortgages? This would allow baby boomers to draw the cash...until they die at least.

"So to me this looks like we'll have a house dump in about 10-20 years"

Frankly I think the potential for a "home dump" exist right now. It has continually surprised me the amount of homes that are being purchased in this supposed "Crappy economy". I'd agree that alot fo these are being purchased as "investments", debatable investment, and because of the low interest rate.

I think we may see alot of folks dumping homes if A) the interest rate jumps and or B) the economy does take a real nose dive. Many people are financed to the hilt and interest rate shifts may be all it takes to make that once "Afforable" mortgage payment seem like a burden because the money is needed elsewhere. This is based on the idea that the rate on the home is locked in and other debt is not. Combine that with the idea that once the rates go up the prices are likely stagnating and in real nasty scenario's dropping. I guess I see the potential for serious house dumping in short order under the right circumstances.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: My New and Improved Theory on the Real Estate Market [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you will analyze the market for any commodity over time you will not find any that have never gone bust at some point. It has happened in the real estate market before (early '90s) and will happen again. Supply and demand will always be out of balance in the short term. Sometimes there is excess demand and sometimes there is excess supply. Do not put all your eggs in one basket.

The real reason for the S&L collapse in the '90s was because people ignored this rule of history and made marginal loans on properties they "assumed" would appreciate. When that did not happen, the S&Ls were left with collateral that wasn't worth what they had loaned out on it. "Assume" makes an "ass" of "u" and "me."
Quote Reply
Re: My New and Improved Theory on the Real Estate Market [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure most economic experts say the housing market has never had a true nation wide bust and is the only market to have never had a big bust.

I like the old assume quote, a coach of mine in HS used to say:

"Excuses are like assholes, we've all got 'em, and they all stink." That old man was a huge prick (I even told him that once, felt so good) but he was right on with that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See todays WSJ. We're in a mature RE market and smart investors "should" be looking to cash flow, not appreciation - similar to stock investors looking for dividends, not capital appreciation.

Earlier in the week in WSJ, 6 out of top 10 least affordable RE markets comparing median home price vs. median income, were in California markets w/ San Diego tops.

Relax2dmax

"Just remember there is only 2 letters difference between STUD and STUPID." Heard on the course of the 1998 Lost Boys Ultramarathon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you in parts. I am not sure if the boomers will sell their house,or rent them though. I expect that you will see a combination of both options.

An interesting side note is that most people purchase their last 'family" house by age 48. In doing the math that means a man retiring at age 65 would trying to sell a house that is 17 years old.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Last edited by: jkca1: Mar 4, 05 10:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reason housing has not had a "nation-wide bust" (although I would argue that the early '90s came pretty close) is simply because housing is not as fungible as oil, gold, silver, etc. Therefore, housing boom/bust cycles tend to be regional or local.

If I could pick up my house and move it to San Diego or Washington, DC, I could retire today as a wealthy man.
Quote Reply