Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Relocation Question
Quote | Reply
After spending a week in SoCal, I've once again confirmed the fact that I've got to get off of Long Island, and out of NY. Good news is, my wife agrees!!

So, we're gonna begin a fact-finding mission, searching out great areas to live. Only problem is, we loved SoCal, but prefer to stay on the East coast.

I've always thought of moving to the Raleigh/Cary area of NC. She's sugggesting somewhere perhaps in Virginia.

I'm beginning to narrow our scope to the following areas:

1. Chapel Hill/Raleigh, NC

2. Charlotte, NC

3. Winston-Salem, NC

4. Asheville, NC

5. Roanoke, VA

6. Richmond, VA

7. Charlottesville. VA

General criteria (in no order of importance):

- general quality of life: beauty, mountains/forest/lakes, minimal traffic, etc.

- decent schools

-some arts/night life/quality restaurants, etc.

-employment opportunity(I'm in healthcare, she's a clinical psychologist looking to set-up private practice)

-opportunity for tri lifestyle

Ideas anyone?? We're hoping to begin scheduling trips for research in the spring.
Quote Reply
Re: Relocation Question [tryemdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to High School in Raleigh, and my folks still live there.

As far as your concerns, the quality of life seems pretty good. Not too much traffic, although things are always growing, they've done pretty well with expanding highways to fit, and local streets are fine. Schools are ok as far as I can tell. My mom teaches high school, and they seem to always be building new schools. Raleigh isn't huge on the nightlife, but there's enough around to not be bored stiff. You just have to look at Durham, Chapel hill, etc. Medicine is big in the Triangle area with Duke and lot's of hospitals, but I don't know what hiring is like. As far as tri lifestyle, it's fine. Inside Out sports is right there, and the weather is pretty good year round when the hurricane season isn't going crazy like this year. I'd say Charlotte is more of a city feel, since it's been growing so much, so more retaurants and nightlife probably.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forgot to mention one thing. If you've lived your whole life in NY, you should expect a culture shock in the South. Nothing like California, nothing like NYC. Not bad, just very very different. My mom was born and raised in chicago, and the Southern culture drives her nuts even after years of living in Raleigh.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Relocation Question [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply....

No worries on the culture shock - we spent 4 years in Arkansas, so we know, and actually apreciate the differences in culture.

One question, could you steer me in the right direction as far as house hunting:

We'd be looking for a wooded area, larger lots, preferably near a lake/stream, etc. I know there's been tremendous growth over the past couple of decades, but we'd be looking for a house preferably in an older, more established neighborhood - one with a bit more character, unlike alot of the new developments that sprout up everywhere...

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are in the process of buying/building a house in Cameron NC. North of Ft Bragg and south of Sanford, work is at Ft Bragg for me.

Depending on where you want to go there are LOTS and LOTS of developments and new construction down that way, and Rte 87 is now a 4 lane divided highway from Bragg straight to Rte 1 and continuing up to Chapel Hill.

Not sure when Slowguy was back in town last but when we left NC in 03 traffic on the beltline was bad and getting worse by the month. Especially the lower half around Cary etc.

Tri scene is da bomb! I can't wait to get back to the NCTS races Bill Scott runs.

Our lot is as big as a football field and backs up against wetlands. there are at least three other sub-divisions in the area that showcase lakes and pounds in and around the development.

Both my wife and I were born and raised in New England and spent 9 yrs at Ft Bragg. The Funniest "Cultural Thing" I remember was when the town of Wilson was trying to pass an ordance banning the local practice of putting the old couches on the pourch so you would have a comfy place to sit and watch the cars go by..... Said couches would eventually become homes to rodents etc.

You would have thought the black helicopters started landing.... Guys with four teeth were on the news yellin' "It's ma gawd given right as a southener to move ma couch onto ma pourch and watch cars...."

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Relocation Question [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got one....

My wife and I have been living in Arkansas for less than a week. We had just moved there from Queens, NY.

We go into a local food store, Harps I believe, and in an attempt to find something healthy for lunch (which in these parts is near impossible) we think about getting some sliced turkey for sandwiches.

So my wife asks the guy behind the counter if they have "Boars Head" - a great brand of cold-cuts, for those unfamiliar. "We sure do, ma'am" he replies and proceeds to come out from behind the counter, walk her a bit down the aisle and place into her hands the head of a very small pig, cut in half and neatly wrapped in a styrofoam tray.

We'll never forget it!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's just gross!

while stationed in Germany. I had an Ops Sargeant who was seriously down with the Soul Food. He was at one of the local butchers asking if they had any neck bones? The little old german lady behind the counter went into the back and comes back with a huge pan of them and asks "this for Dog?"

SSG Gibson's reply: woof woof
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the VA spots: Lived in C'villle for 10 years. Beautiful city, awesome downtown plaza, mountain access, etc, and reasonably managed development. But choking on traffic, and very high cost of living. Roanoake: a real gem of a city, albeit with a strong "hick" flavor still. Richmond: I haven't been there in a long time, but crime was always my biggest concern. I would stay away from Northern Virginia unless you really like traffic. Good luck ! (I fled NY in the late 80's !)

Tony Verow MD
Durango, CO 81301
Averow@bresnan.net
Quote Reply