Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pro Triathlete in need of driveway/backyard. Seriously. Tell your Friends.
Quote | Reply
22year old pro triathlete in Nassau County, NY. I'll be attending grad school at Adelphi University next year. The house were I currently live is a cross between a cave and a methlab, and even for the cheap rent, I can't live there while potentially assistant coaching. Just too much liability with the NCAA, and I'm tired of all my clothing smelling like Tommy Chong.

I can't afford rent anywhere else- $800 bucks to live in a room in a house is RIDICULOUS, no matter how quiet . Right now, I pay $240 but I am tired of hearing my roommates having sex/crying/playing trumpet/dropping acid/whatever else they are doing. I need a new living situation, and after getting discouraged with craigslist, i went in a new direction.

so, being the crafty crabapple that I am, I picked up a 14' camper trailer from my buddy's truck shop. We are repairing it now, inside out. It will look respectable- not like some redneck hunting trailer, but hopefully more like a mobile office or something. maybe i'll put dimples in the siding for better aerodynamics. I plan on painting it, and I can paint it to match your house or car or something. I will not be towing the trailer anywhere- Its staying put for the duration of my living on your driveway.

So, rent me your driveway or backyard. I am pretty handy, an experienced landscaper, a CPO- certified pool operator- so I can keep your pool squeaky clean. Apart from the trailer, I have a car as well, which I can park on the street. I surf quite a bit when the waves are good. I generally keep to myself, and like to train alone, but I'm down for a ride or run if you want. My girlfriend is a currently a dancer in NYC- a modern/ballet dancer, don't get any crazy ideas- and she will probably visit about 2x a week. I'm rarely home, with practice and class, and a campus job, and training.

As for what I need, well, not much. Water is crucial, and I would pay or it. As for heat and electricity, I could plug in to your house, and obviously pay a share of the electricity bill, or I could use the generator, which is loud. This trailer is pretty small, so a space heater should do an adequate heating job. My room at the moment doesn't have heat, and this winter wasn't that bad, so the heat thing is nice but not crucial- though the insulation of the trailer might not be that good. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Electricity is pretty important, I need to charge my stuff. Internet is important, i need to email my coach- Mike Monastero of Babylon Bike! awesome coach!- workouts daily, so a house that has wireless internet is ideal. I would obviously pay for internet if you've got it.

Basically, I'm looking for someone who, for less than $400 a month- including utilities-, would let me rent their driveway. I wouldn't have anything mailed to me, and, other than the trailer in the driveway and the car on the street, you wouldn't know I'm even there. I will give you a credit check, and a resume with references. I am pretty good about paying rent on time.

PM me, and we can work it out. Or, if you have an apartment for rent, PM me as well. Living in a trailer is probably not as cool as it sounds.
Last edited by: tweickelberg: Apr 8, 11 8:48
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete in need of driveway/backyard. Seriously. Tell your Friends. [tweickelberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are allowed to park in a walmart parking lot ;0)
maybe you need to change schools or demographics.

Re: Pro Triathlete in need of driveway/backyard. Seriously. Tell your Friends. [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the entertaining read. Amusing.

Do you plan on using your toilet? Shower? Sink? Also, I am going to guess that most people probably don't have a sewer drain next to their driveway. I think you need to think this through a bit more before you commit to living in a trailer. What about your pipes freezing in the winter?

If I was in a position to need extra income, I would by far rather rent out my basement to a student than park a trailer in my driveway.

----------------------
TriAnotherDay.com
Last edited by: VanDrunken: Apr 8, 11 11:06
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete in need of driveway/backyard. Seriously. Tell your Friends. [VanDrunken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time to get a second job or start training harder so you can win some dough re me.

Re: Pro Triathlete in need of driveway/backyard. Seriously. Tell your Friends. [VanDrunken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As for the toilet and such, a closed system septic is in the trailer now, with an on demand hot water heater- not a water holding tank- and grey water system. Also, the drain could work out into a rain barrel sort of thing. Either way the drain would be something that could potentially be worked around. Also could potentially run a sewer line into the street sewer, which is potentially illegal (probably VERY illegal, so that option may have to be discounted), but again an option. I work in an athletic department with showers, and would not shower at home/in the trailer very much as it is. But you make some very valid point,s and definitely give me even more to consider. And yes, I TOTALLY would rather rent a basement/attic/etc. However, and those who live in LI can attest to this, a CLEAN one bedroom basement apartment thats moderately close to AU runs about $900-1200. sharing this is an option, but thats always risky. Its hard to find clean affordable living in queens/LI- clean is expensive and cheap, well... thats why I currently live in a house that could be confused for the set of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. but i have had several PMs from people saying they would check around for any rentals in the area that wouldn't necessarily be posted. None for driveways yet though.

bmanners- for the second job- thats why i'm repairing the trailer! if I can find a house, i can always sell it for quite a bit more than i invested in it, and that would take care of quite a few months of rent. I do work an office assistant job 15h/week, but with a full undergrad credit load and training, its tough to work more than that. I would consider stripping, but the hours are tough. As for training harder, full time tri training has only just started- i played 3 sports at AU, and before this year, tri's were more for summer fun than a serious opportunity to make cash. With a smaller grad school credit load and more time to train, the results will hopefully come :)
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete in need of driveway/backyard. Seriously. Tell your Friends. [tweickelberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should check to see if there are any camper parks close by. We have several dozen within about 50 miles where they have electric, water and sewer hookup, and are around $75-$100/wk.

Coach TJ Tryon - Open Water Swim Clinics | Facebook | @tjtryon

Ask me about: T3 Multisport | Gu Energy | Torhans | Xterra Wetsuits (discount code) | Karbon Speed - discount code: COACHTJ | Uvex Helmets
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete in need of driveway/backyard. Seriously. Tell your Friends. [tjtryon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tried it mate. last one in nassau county is mid-lawsuit, and no longer taking new residents- http://www.nytimes.com/....html?ref=realestate

the next-closest one is about 25mi away- rendering the cheap rent useless, as the commute would be tremendously expensive- the LI traffic is terrible! right now i can usually ride my bike to school/work. However, it is an option- desperate times call for desperate measures!

thanks to everyone who has PMed me/commented. This post is actually somewhat serious, but also is a way of venting my frustration. The comments people have given have a) made me think this is COMPLETELY ridiculous- it is- but also b) made me much more hopeful that there is an apartment (or driveway- just keeping the option open) somewhere near here that i will be able to live in.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete in need of driveway/backyard. Seriously. Tell your Friends. [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't change schools- they gave me a solid GA postition, and if I can't afford rent, there is NO WAY i can afford grad school. I would have to fall back on landscaping/plumbing/pool work to pay for school, which is BRUTAL, and makes for a lot of skipped training.

I definitely need to change demographics. I need to go from the "poor" demographic to the "rich" demographic.

as for walmart parking lot, there is a line I am willing to go to. That may cross it, but depending how desperate I get, the line might change! just kidding, of course. probably.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have lived in a tent for two stints since college for 7 months due to this same issue. Ask your prof's bc when my wife was is school a tons of profs have stuff or a second house that they only want to rent to someone they know and used internal emails to rent. We almost got a stupid crazy deal but then we moved states. You are really gonna have to come up with the sewage issue fully bc that will be a deal killer for most involved since they are the ones that live there. You might also have to worry about inhabitant laws with picky neighbors in such an affluent area. Could easily get kicked out. I would really look for a place to stay using these lines and try to find the "private" lines. Post in a bike shop, or similar. Getting kicked out a couple weeks into the semester could be worse for stress level bc so little, if anything would be left since it seems you are not just competing with college student for these places. Best of luck to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete in need of driveway/backyard. Seriously. Tell your Friends. [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any camp grounds close by?

Quote | Reply
Holland Tunnel. I checked it out on google maps and it makes a lot more sense now. 25 mile drive there would be atrocious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there actually are. I didn't even research this, as I assumed there were none. I'll check the availability/price. thanks for the idea! Though i'll hold walmart close to the heart as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest this sounds crazy. Having gone through college without any assistance but my own, I can say that I was able to make it by on a part-time job paying about $500-600/ month in rent, utilities, etc.

Have you considered getting a place together with your girlfriend? Split costs, makes it cheap and if you're in a stable relationship it would be fine. I don't understand why you would subject yourself to not having real running water and needing to depend on another energy source to power your trailer.

I guess I'm just confused because logistically this doesn't make any sense.

< Quitting Isn't An Option >

Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete in need of driveway/backyard. Seriously. Tell your Friends. [CJS25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I once spent a year living in a camper in a KOA campground, they gave me a pretty good discount for staying there all winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adversity builds character.
Plus, a few months ago there was some LR chatter about noisy neighbors and how to solve those types of problems...

I own a house yet manage to live in an apt. and it fuckin sucks. I moved out of the first apt., lived in my car for 3 months (while taking final exams), and now moved into a different apt. and it still fuckin sucks.

I'm not much help except to tell you that you can combat noise and inconsiderate assholes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a warm house, wife and three young and crazy toddlers. If I you stay here can I stay with your roomates and relive my college years? They sound fun.
Quote Reply