Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seriously--I Want All Of You To Consider Something:
Quote | Reply
SOLID CORE DOORS!!![b]

Regardless of your positon on firearms ownership (wait--stick around--this is a nice post), I want my Slowtwitch friends to strongly consider replacing hollow cored interior doors to such places like the master bedroom and kids rooms with solid core doors. If you really want to go pro, you'll have to modify the jamb to accomidate a deadbolt. However, you can do a reasonable modifcation but let me get back to the point. In a fire, a solid core door can buy you precious minutes that a hollow core door wont. In the event of a home intrusion, a solid core door, especially with a deadbolt, can again buy you precious time. If you don't believe in owning a firearm, that's fine. A solid core door might keep an inturder at bay those few extra minutes until the authorities get to your house. You have life insurance, a retirement plan, spent serious time and money on your physical health, spend a little extra on solid core doors for the bedrooms.

Now, if you want to know how solid core doors incorporate into the Timberwolf home invasion defence plan (including how to prevent shooting your drunk-ass teenage Son when he comes home at 3:30 am or avoid the emotional turmoil from shooting some a-hole over your TV set), let me know.

Brett

"Du or Du not-there is no Tri" - Yoda
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously--I Want All Of You To Consider Something: [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiousity where do you live? Fallujah, Beirut? You seem overly preoccupied with this perceived constant threat of home invasion, solid core doors are a good idea but I doubt you need to prepare yourself for an invasion of your residence by SWAT or the SAS.

Here is an idea that won't end up killing anyone and you can stop living your life in terror. Get a security system, sleep with a cell phone by your bed, even get a dog. I don't give too much thought to other people owning guns, I'm not planning on robbing your house, but I find it pathetic and sad that you obviously feel the need to impress your image of home security on everyone. I feel just as safe and secure as you, likely safer, and I don't even lock my house up most of the time.

Have you ever been robbed?

Edit: I just saw you live in Olympia, WA. I stand corrected you need all the protection you can get.
Last edited by: Goose: Jan 27, 05 1:32
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously--I Want All Of You To Consider Something: [Goose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I own a shotgun, rifle, and handgun, my home-defense weapon of choice is a kids tee ball bat hidden under the bed.
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously--I Want All Of You To Consider Something: [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why stop there? Perhaps a moat? Maybe an armed guard by all bedrooms?

Or, as Homer says.....Or you'll release the dogs or the bees? Or the dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark bees come out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my part of the country (Great Lakes Region) there is an alarming increase in home invasions. While there is no direct correlation, you may be able to make a tie to the rapid rise in popularity of meth labs and meth use.

I agree that alarm systems help, but if you live where I live it takes some precious time for the sheriff deputy to get to my house. Dogs are even better, but, when you live on a country road at the end of a longish driveway, you want to be able to protect your family and home as best as you can.

Some folks might be anti gun, but when the crooks breaking into your house are packing, the best final deterrent is superior fire power and the ability to use it.

RB
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's good info.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously--I Want All Of You To Consider Something: [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have 3 who are super protective and will bark at anyone that even approaches the front yard. We also have "beware of dog" signs. Anyone who has been bitten by a dog (like me) would never take the chance of opening the door just for a few bucks.

My girl wants a gun and I have always said no, but now we can get concealed carry permits here so I told her we should both go get our permits and then we can have a gun if she really wants one. I think I will then tape the concealed carry permit to the window of my house and my jeep;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you should build a moat. You never know when someone will break a window or just rip through your drywall. Razor wire on the front lawn will slow them down as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<< Just out of curiousity where do you live? Fallujah, Beirut? You seem overly preoccupied with this perceived constant threat of home invasion, solid core doors are a good idea but I doubt you need to prepare yourself for an invasion of your residence by SWAT or the SAS.

Here is an idea that won't end up killing anyone and you can stop living your life in terror. Get a security system, sleep with a cell phone by your bed, even get a dog>>

Goose, I was also a firefighter for a few years in a good sized department. Sure, our average response time from dispatch to 10-23 (ten code for on scene) was under 5 minutes. Let me tell you, fire can make a lot of headway in five minutes. I guess I failed to emphasize the fire safety aspect of solid core doors.

Fire is not pickey about what neighborhood you live in.

Brett

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a secondary tip everyone should remove the screws that are on the door strikes for your locks and replace them with 2.5 - 3 inch log screws. The short screws that are installed normally connect to the door jam (weak); long drywall screws will anchor your door to the framing of your house (much stronger) it is the difference between kicking your door in and hurting their foot. Also cost less than a dollar and takes about 5 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<< Just out of curiousity where do you live? Fallujah, Beirut? You seem overly preoccupied with this perceived constant threat of home invasion,>>

Statisticly speaking, you're right. Thankfully, I strongly doubt I will ever have to contend with a home intruder. If I look at the hundreds of thousands of miles I've driven and the thankfully very few traffic accidents I've been in, I suppose I'm a bit "over the top" for buckling my seatbelt every time I get behind the wheel.

<<but I find it pathetic and sad that you obviously feel the need to impress your image of home security on everyone>>

Actually, I just wanted to share some of my advise with y'all. Again, I guess I didn't emphasize the fire safety aspect of solid core doors enough in my initial thread. I started a separate thread because I know some folks may not see it in a thread mostly about gun control.

Regards,
Brett

Quote Reply
Re: Seriously--I Want All Of You To Consider Something: [Rocketboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a German Shepherd. My favourite door to door sales guys are the alarm people. They take one look at him freaking out and barking, and I look at them and say, "Do you really think I need an alarm?" One guy was pushy so I told him to try and break in and see what happens. Didn't have much to say at that.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A deadbolt on my bedroom door would be fine, but with a sliding glass door on the other side of the bedroom it seems futile.
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously--I Want All Of You To Consider Something: [danielito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< A deadbolt on my bedroom door would be fine, but with a sliding glass door on the other side of the bedroom it seems futile. >>

There is a product called, I think, "Armour Plate" or something similar, that can be applied to plate glass. It's a film, kinda like window tinting film but darn near indestructable. The glass itself will shatter, but the film keeps it together and it still remains largely impossible to get through. In the fire department, we kinda hated the stuff because we couldn't quickly and conveniently knock a window out for ventilation purposes or to get water on the fire. It was nasty stuff (in a good, security kinda way).

HTH
Brett

Quote Reply