Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WTB Trainer Bike
Quote | Reply
Looking for a CHEAP inside trainer bike for Cyclops unit. Dont feel my Felt DA needs the abuse anymore. Need a 56 ish size in working order. If you have anything in this category....drop me a line. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: WTB Trainer Bike [GS13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe OT - but what the heck are you doing on the trainer that you're abusing your bike?

Bobby Jones

Quote Reply
Re: WTB Trainer Bike [BobbyJones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Instead of wearing out top of the line components and sweating all over your race bike, in the long run it's cheaper and easier to just stick a beater bike on the trainer. You don't have to care what happens to it, and it's always mounted on the trainer, so less setup time each session (assuming the DA is being taken off for outdoor riding). I don't see anything wrong with it... same reason some people drive a beater car in the winter and have a summer car that doesn't get rusted up from the road salt.
Quote Reply
Re: WTB Trainer Bike [TriDwayne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road salt? What does that do? I don't think that technology has made it down to tx yet... schools were shut down 2 weeks ago in the metroplex because it was COLD. ha!

-kev
Quote Reply
Re: WTB Trainer Bike [TriDwayne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For convenience I understand, even saying you "just want a second bike is ok".

Trying to justify it by "Instead of wearing out top of the line components and sweating all over your race bike" is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I suppose if riding a bike is your idea of abuse let me congratulate you on being a marketing exec's dream.

Bobby Jones

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
For convenience I understand, even saying you "just want a second bike is ok".

Trying to justify it by "Instead of wearing out top of the line components and sweating all over your race bike" is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I suppose if riding a bike is your idea of abuse let me congratulate you on being a marketing exec's dream.

As long as it's just for convenience (which I mentioned) it's ok, but anything other than that is nonsense? How about just having several reasons, i.e. convenience AND sparing the nicer bike.

By your reasoning, why bother changing tires and using a trainer tire if you're riding a trainer, just use your regular road/race tires on the trainer, right? Or does it bother you to wear out your good tires? Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rch_string=;#2601342

In Reply To:
Hate to hijack, but Vittoria makes a trainer version of the Zaffiro which works just the same as the Conti at half the price. Been using one for many hours over two seasons and it's holding up just fine. It's red, not yellow though.

Not trying to start anything here, I hope he finds a beater bike for his trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BobbyJones

Excuse me, I apologize for not obtaining your permission before looking for another bike. I was unaware I needed to justify to you why I thought I needed another bike. Man, I am really sorry.

I posted the original thread in order to locate a bike...not to ask your permission or determine if I needed one.

Do me a favor, mind your own business and only comment on shit you understand. Otherwise, please keep your unsolicited, negative opinions to yourself. Have a nice day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GS13-

As always reading comprehension on here sucks. I was interested what constitutes abuse on a trainer. With all the talk of carbon fiber frames cracking as soon as they're within 3 feet of a trainer, I was wondering if this happened to you. Or maybe you're breaking handlebars. I dunno, I was curious so I asked.

I didn't chime in with an answer or a request for you to justify it to me. I don't care what you do with your money. But hey, If you want to be a defensive prick have at it.

TriDwyane-

I put on alot of miles in a year and tire wear on the trainer wasn't a big deal for me, but I just couldn't deal with all of the black rubber residue anymore in my living room. It is getting bothersome spending the 60 seconds a day swapping out wheels when I ride inside...I guess I should buy an extra bike as you don't see anything wrong with it. (Hypocritical Huh?)

Bobby Jones

Last edited by: BobbyJones: Jan 13, 10 16:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Looking for a CHEAP inside trainer bike for Cyclops unit. Dont feel my Felt DA needs the abuse anymore. Need a 56 ish size in working order. If you have anything in this category....drop me a line. Thanks.

Why not buy one of these:
http://www.nashbar.com/..._201511_10000_201512

And build it up with a set of $100 wheels from nashbar as well, and whatever used parts you can find. Probably don't need to bother with brake calipers. Could probably throw the bike together for under 450...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think all you guys should look into investing in a sarcmark. I hear they're only $1.99.

This thread could have gone so much differently.
Quote Reply