Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Dissection Of Liberal Thought And Belief: By Fr. Mike Walsh (Maryknoll)
Quote | Reply
Read it in full, and supply your comment. I'll be grading your responses ;-) I expect C.E. and Tibbsy to sound the trumpet for the Right and Ken L. and tri-Larry to stick up for the Left. Of course V-man and S.G. will find a spot in the Center from which to throw bombs at both sides ;-)) -----------Tony

I of course, being a product of Jesuit and Redemptorist religious teaching, agree with the good Father's view :-)) (hee-hee)

LEFTIST PATHOLOGY: ANOTHER VIEW

Father Mike Walsh of the Maryknoll organization writes:

Piqued somewhat by your own observations, and for whatever it's worth, I have been trying for some time to analyze the pathology of leftism. Local conditions may account for some variations; I speak for what I have observed in the U.S., among American liberals, and this is just a preliminary assay, subject to later modification. Several characteristics are prominent:

It is elitist. There may be some patronizing superficial regard for working-class people, but basically, for people who have 'traditional' values, liberals feel nothing but contempt. And in the case where an approved minority supports those values, they just ignore that uncomfortable fact, and promote leaders among that minority who are more like themselves. "Flyover country" -that's where people like me live, in spirit, if not in fact. Liberalism is egalitarian in theory, but not in any way that would challenge the status of liberals. For example, almost no liberal who could afford not to would send his kid to a public school.

Liberalism is moralistic. But liberals are also highly selective in their moralizing, opposing only things that would not require change on their part. Liberals are generally opposed to hunting, for example. Personal morality, for which they mostly no longer have a religious basis, is nevertheless still a source of pain and struggle, which is another reason they transfer their self-righteous anger to things that require of them no pain or personal struggle. Movie stars are particularly egregious examples of this. They regard themselves as gods, above petty human morality, but concerned with larger matters of war and peace, the security of nature, etc

It is statist. Liberals believe in government, except when it comes to doing what government does best, or does most legitimately, e.g., defense. Why this is so is something that might be worth exploring at greater length sometime. Perhaps it stems from the fact that warfare entails real moral consequences rather than comfortable symbolic ones. Liberals believe in redistributing wealth, but not in any way that would increase people's real freedom (securing property rights, school choice), but only in ways that would create larger and larger classes of government dependents. They are careful to reject all aspects of "ownership society" such as privatization of social security or health care savings accounts.

It is anti-intellectual. This claim may seem odd, in light of the fact that leftists dominate the universities and mass-media. But they are rapidly abandoning the intellectual traditions that gave rise to those institutions, and their intellectuality is increasingly a sham. This is one reason why they frequently dismiss the work of 'dead white males', for these are the foundations of which they are increasingly ignorant, and from which the strongest critique of their views may come.

The roots of modern liberalism are several. On one level, modern American liberalism is simply the last and most desiccated form of Protestantism. They are what remains of the Puritans in America. You can chart the progress, or devolution, from Calvinism to Puritanism, and eventually to Unitarianism, to Transcendentalism, to liberalism. The subjectivity is key: it is a progression from justification by faith to justification by self-regard. And as the Puritans would look for a sign of election, so modern liberals seek validation by ratifying the PC stance on whatever crusade is current; a strong (symbolic) moral stance they can take with the assurance that comes from solidarity with the like-minded. And that is why they get so angry when you disagree with them: with their egos so strongly rooted in their opinions, any disagreement is experienced as a personal threat. Theirs is not merely a presumption of moral superiority, but a profound need.

Another root is of course, the 'Enlightenment'. Having lost any God-centeredness, it becomes the source of the morality that is central to Liberals' self-image. Freedom and equality are the main tenets, but these contraries are reconciled in the modern liberal imagination by reducing the first to autonomy and the latter to arithmetic. For them, freedom is personal 'lifestyle' choice (what a more classical view would regard as at best characteristic of adolescence); the highest, indeed the only real virtue for the liberal, is tolerance; tolerance specifically of other peoples' choices. And equality, for the liberal, does not mean equality before the law, but equality of results. The liberal exists in a state of anxiety and will likely never rest until all differences have been reduced to a flat, grey, androgynous mean This also accounts for their affection for government, which alone can exert the force necessary to achieve this Procrustean goal.

I think it is significant that while there are many notable examples of people who were leftists and moved rightward, one only rarely encounters the reverse. The rightward shift usually happens when egalitarianism costs them something, or when they can no longer endure the contradictions that liberalism leads them into.

Liberal Catholics -- my personal betes-noire -- have bought the progressivist agenda tout court. They love the title of "prophet", but are incapable of bringing any critique to bear upon the Left, and their enthusiasm for sugar-coating every leftist outrage, or ignoring those they can't do this with, shamefully belies their promise to preach the Gospel "in season and out of season."

The publishing wing of my own religious order once put out a book entitled "Love and Struggle in Mao's Thought." It should not even be necessary to point out that it was not written by a Chinese. What is it about Western liberals that compels them to canonize even the most vicious anti-Western demagogue? Perhaps an example from the schoolyard may be illustrative: that of the cowardly child who sucks up to a bully in order to mollify him. It is beyond my ability to mock; it is pointless to lampoon what is already utterly absurd. Which is why I use the term "pathology" for this little exercise.

Last edited by: big kahuna: Nov 20, 04 0:40
Quote Reply
Re: The Dissection Of Liberal Thought And Belief: By Fr. Mike Walsh (Maryknoll) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kahuna -- I like it! Check out this poem by a guy named Steve Turner. A roadmap for the left.

CREED

We believe in Marx, Freud, and Darwin
We believe everything is OK
as long as you don't hurt anyone,
to the best of your definition of hurt,
and to the best of your knowledge.

We believe in sex before, during, and after marriage.
We believe in the therapy of sin.
We believe that adultery is fun.
We believe that sodomy is OK.
We believe that taboos are taboo.

We believe that everything is getting better
despite evidence to the contrary.
The evidence must be investigated
And you can prove anything with evidence.

We believe there's something in horoscopes, UFO's and bent spoons;
Jesus was a good man just like Buddha, Mohammed, and ourselves.
He was a good moral teacher, although we think His good morals were bad.

We believe that all religions are basically the same-- at least the one that we read was.
They all believe in love and goodness.
They only differ on matters of
creation, sin, heaven, hell, God, and salvation.

We believe that after death comes Nothing
Because when you ask the dead what happens, they say nothing.
If death is not the end, if the dead have lied,
then it's compulsory heaven for all excepting perhaps Hitler, Stalin, and Genghis Khan.

We believe in Masters and Johnson.
What's selected is average.
What's average is normal.
What's normal is good.

We believe in total disarmament.
We believe there are direct links between warfare and bloodshed.
Americans should beat their guns into tractors
and the terrorists would be sure to follow.

We believe that man is essentially good.
It's only his behavior that lets him down.
This is the fault of society.
Society is the fault of conditions.
Conditions are the fault of society.

We believe that each man must find the truth that is right for him.
Reality will adapt accordingly.
The universe will readjust.
History will alter.
We believe that there is no "absolute truth"
excepting the "truth" that there is no "absolute truth."

We believe in the rejection of creeds, and the flowering of individual thought.

If chance be the Father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky,
and when you hear: State of Emergency!
Sniper Kills Ten! Troops on Rampage!
Gangs go Looting! Bomb Blasts School!

It is but the sound of man worshiping his maker

Quote Reply
Re: The Dissection Of Liberal Thought And Belief: By Fr. Mike Walsh (Maryknoll) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty good. I wonder if Fr. Walsh could be equally effective criticizing the Right? (honest question)

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Of course V-man and S.G. will find a spot in the Center

Are you calling vitus979 a centrist?

Are you calling vitus979 a centrist?

Shut up, jhc! I think it's the nicest thing anyone's ever said about me here. Don't ruin my moment! ;)

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed this becasue I also agree with it. Man, I hope that doesn't make me a liberal....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Dissection Of Liberal Thought And Belief: By Fr. Mike Walsh (Maryknoll) [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty good. I wonder if Fr. Walsh could be equally effective criticizing the Right? (honest question)

I'll email him and see if he can throw something together. He's usually pretty centrist himself, and is considered one of the Maryknoll organization's brightest minds. I know that the Catholic Church's priesthood has come in for some well-deserved criticism, but I've always been continually impressed with the depth and level of education that the Church makes these guys obtain, especially among those in the Jesuit and Redemptorist orders (which are relatively secular in outlook, given that the Jesuits are the designated "military" arm of the Church :-).

Tony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
re: The Jesuits- You know that saying about the corruption of the best. . .? ;)

They are an impressive group. I've taken some classes at Gonzaga, and I can affirm that they haven't lost a step, intellectually at least. I was actually married by an ex-Jesuit, come to think of it, and attended a parish in Reston headed by another ex-Jesuit for awhile. They're no slouches.

Ever read "Jesuits: The Society of Jesus and the Betrayal of the Roman Catholic Church"?

inflammatory Vitus

Quote Reply
Re: The Dissection Of Liberal Thought And Belief: By Fr. Mike Walsh (Maryknoll) [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read it awhile back. I'm going to have to find it and read it again. I've read history on Loyola and the different Popes who've used the order for various purposes, some of them nefarious and some of the praiseworthy. I think they were on the outs with John Paul II for a few years. They can be very political, when it suits their purposes.

I have a friend who went into the order, and it was 13 years from the time of his admittance until they felt he was educated and ready enough to begin full service to the church. Much of it was spent in Europe, gaining various advanced degrees and education in dogma and doctrine. The man can really argue a point now, that's for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"It is elitist. There may be some patronizing superficial regard for working-class people, but basically, for people who have 'traditional' values, liberals feel nothing but contempt."
- - Liberals think they know better, just like conservatives do. The only real difference, imo, is that you can chide a conservative about the shortcomings of their leaders and about the shortfalls of their ideas, and they'll talk to you. When I used to tell conservatives that Gingrich was a two-faced Bible thumping hypocrite, they'd defend him momentarily and then admit that they should find a better point man while talking about the good he was doing. OTOH, a few minor comments about Clinton, and harsh barbs are returned, and I've even been challenged to fist fights!! Why is it that even when it's as obvious as it was with Clinton (both of them) that liberals can't admit to so much as a single flaw?

"and in the case where an approved minority supports those values, they just ignore that uncomfortable fact, and promote leaders among that minority who are more like themselves."
- - and filibuster and otherwise opose the judicial nominations of conservative minorities. Funny how Bill Clinton's pecadillos were personal (even though he committed perjury in civil lawsuit) and Clarence Thomas's alleged indiscretion (which involved oblique harrassment, not actual rape - as in Anita Brodderick) was grounds to throw him off a cliff...

"For example, almost no liberal who could afford not to would send his kid to a public school."
- - Ditto for conservatives. Public school sucks and public schooling is extra-constitutional. The Feral Gummint has miserably failed in the edumacation bidness and oughta GTFO... Can't fault the libs on this one except that they're on the horns of a dilema: School teachers (as nearly all public employees) are their constituency! What to do, what to do...

"Liberalism is moralistic."
- - This is one that so many conservatives miss. Liberals aren't for baby-killing, because they've deluded themselves into believing that a fetus isn't human. The fact that such a delusion is nearly hysterical in it's lunacy is beside the point. Liberals really do mean well, they've just lined up for the Kool Aid a few times too many.

"Liberals are generally opposed to hunting, for example."
- - Not true. I believe that the number of conservatives who don't hunt is probably as high as the number of liberals who don't hunt. The difference is in the lock-step. Liberals who oppose hunting want to ban all guns (and now cannonize FISH as thinking, feeling creatures to cuddle), conservatives recognize that guns are a part of America. I don't hunt, because I can't look at a deer or even a duck through a gunsight and pull the trigger. I enjoy shooting, just not when what I shoot at has to die. I support gun ownership not because I plan to defend my property with my life, but because I know there are people who want to or need to do so, and HAVE A RIGHT to do so.

"Personal morality, for which they mostly no longer have a religious basis, is nevertheless still a source of pain and struggle"
- - Keep in mind, liberals mean well, it's just the execution of liberalism that differs. Liberalism comes from the heart, conservatism also incorporates the rational processes. I don't want folks to be homeless or malnourished any more than Sally Struthers, I just choose to think about whether throwing money at a social problem ever solved one (hint to liberals - NEVER)

"It is statist. Liberals believe in government, except when it comes to doing what government does best, or does most legitimately, e.g., defense. Why this is so is something that might be worth exploring at greater length sometime."
- - Not true. Liberals supported our soldiers in wars where America was directly attacked - Japan, Germany, Afghanistan... They just draw the line at our being the international cops. Oddly, however, they didn't mind our intervention in Bosnia, Kosovo, or any of the 59 other incursions masterminded by the Clinton administration. I guess those were OK because we generally didn't send in troops but just bombed from afar.

"Liberals believe in ... ways that would create larger and larger classes of government dependents."
- - Poverty Pimps was the phrase I enjoyed most. It's all about creating a permanent constituency.

"It is anti-intellectual. ...they are rapidly abandoning the intellectual traditions that gave rise to those institutions, and their intellectuality is increasingly a sham."
- - Interestingly, the liberal movement started with Mario Savio and the free speech crowd, of which I was a member (SDS, PFP, BSU). Somehow, they've now become the anti-free speech crowd, refusing to allow conservative speakers to set foot on campus.

"The roots of modern liberalism are several. On one level, modern American liberalism is simply the last and most desiccated form of Protestantism. They are what remains of the Puritans in America. You can chart the progress, or devolution, from Calvinism to Puritanism, and eventually to Unitarianism, to Transcendentalism, to liberalism. The subjectivity is key: it is a progression from justification by faith to justification by self-regard."
- - Whew, gotta say the Reverend is WAY of base here. As a Buddhist and practitioner of TM, I can assure you there is no connection to liberalism in the practice of either, and NEITHER abrogates personal responsibility, but in fact they intensify it. This strained connection is an attempt to toss the baby with the bathwater.

"...why they get so angry when you disagree with them: with their egos so strongly rooted in their opinions, any disagreement is experienced as a personal threat. Theirs is not merely a presumption of moral superiority, but a profound need."
- - Indeed it seems so.

"...the highest, indeed the only real virtue for the liberal, is tolerance; tolerance specifically of other peoples' choices. And equality, for the liberal, does not mean equality before the law, but equality of results."
- - I don't really think this is true. I think liberals use statistics to bolster their unsupportable ideas, like saying that the excessive ratios of blacks in prison is evidence of bias rather than evidence of a cultural defect in the black community - which in and of itself is incorrect, because the defect is only in certain enclaves, certainly not endemic to any particular race.

"The liberal exists in a state of anxiety and will likely never rest until all differences have been reduced to a flat, grey, androgynous mean."
- - Again incorrect. The liberal wishes to feel good, much as does the conservative. So liberals wish to use the rising tide to lift all boats, just as the conservatives do, except that liberals want to limit that to"all boats worth under $250K..." That way they can feel good about helping others without actually letting any of "them" catch up, and using the "eat the rich" logic to draw in the votes of those smitten with class envy.

"This also accounts for their affection for government, which alone can exert the force necessary to achieve this Procrustean goal."
- - More specifically, it gives them the power to create and enforce rules for which the public at large would never stand.

"I think it is significant that while there are many notable examples of people who were leftists and moved rightward, one only rarely encounters the reverse. The rightward shift usually happens when egalitarianism costs them something, or when they can no longer endure the contradictions that liberalism leads them into."
- - "He who is a liberal at 20 has no heart; he who is still a liberal at 40 has no brain." Eventually, the contradictions catch up to you and you have to either become intractably pedantic or change.

"Liberal Catholics... belies their promise to preach the Gospel 'in season and out of season.' "
- - Always an interesting subject to me. How it is that God suddenly becomes fallible when His teachings run afoul of liberal agendae...

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: The Dissection Of Liberal Thought And Belief: By Fr. Mike Walsh (Maryknoll) [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"A" for explication. Also an "A" for dissection of the train of thought and reasoning behind the various statements. "B+" for rebuttal on certain key points, including the liberal misuse of transcendentalism for purposes of justification of action by self-regard. In effect, the liberal takes the phrase "no man is an island" and tries to turn it on its head and create a state where every "island", no matter how small or insignificant, carries as much worth in the whole as does the largest and most important of the "islands"

This naturally, can prove irreconcileable to the objective reality, and forces the liberal into more drastic measures to ameliorate the situation such as socialist or communist or Marxist-Leninist idealogies.

T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"B+" for rebuttal on certain key points, including the liberal misuse of transcendentalism for purposes of justification of action by self-regard.

It should be pointed out that Fr. Walsh was referring to the American brand of Transcendentalism, which is distinct from, say, Buddhism.

In effect, the liberal takes the phrase "no man is an island" and tries to turn it on its head and create a state where every "island", no matter how small or insignificant, carries as much worth in the whole as does the largest and most important of the "islands"
This naturally, can prove irreconcileable to the objective reality

Is true. Of course, it could be argued that the tendency isn't isolated to the small "l" liberal, but is common among Liberals altogether, only possibly differing in degree. What else is Libertarianism? Or the neo-conservative movement?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"In effect, the liberal takes the phrase 'no man is an island' and tries to turn it on its head and create a state where every "island", no matter how small or insignificant, carries as much worth in the whole as does the largest and most important of the 'Islands' "

Gross oversimplification, and gives the libs credit for more maturity of thought than actually exists within them. They don't think that a homeless guy is as valuable or as important as The Donald or Barbra, they just want to feel good about themselves by telling their friends how much they care about homeless and indigent losers.

In truth, liberals hate panhandlers more than I do. I feel bad for them, liberals don't; they just think it's my fault that these losers are homeless. Libs give money to the "will work for food" guy, I won't. I'd give them work but when I've tried, they say no thanks!!

Quote Reply
Re: The Dissection Of Liberal Thought And Belief: By Fr. Mike Walsh (Maryknoll) [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In truth, liberals hate panhandlers more than I do. I feel bad for them, liberals don't; they just think it's my fault that these losers are homeless. Libs give money to the "will work for food" guy, I won't. I'd give them work but when I've tried, they say no thanks!!

Maybe. But how about the thought that maybe the duality of elitist thought and behavior versus the need for transcendental altruism causes a chaotic bifurcation where the liberal can't reconcile the duality? And this tension is what causes liberal resentment of just the sort of "conservative" behavior that your action represented? You know, the conservative philosophy of "a hand up, not a hand out"?

Tony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a little disappointed in this guy. First as we all know all Jesuits are too busy molesting little boys to write a thoughtful paper and all conservatives are too busy hunting and fearing god to read them.

Statements that paint a large group with some stereotype are just plain wrong. If he writes a paper that makes any sense let me know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there were too many big words in there for me to get to the end before I fell asleep...the padre is boring just like all my old teachers.
Quote Reply
Re: The Dissection Of Liberal Thought And Belief: By Fr. Mike Walsh (Maryknoll) [Shad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a little disappointed in this guy. First as we all know all Jesuits are too busy molesting little boys to write a thoughtful paper and all conservatives are too busy hunting and fearing god to read them.

See, that's why liberals get painted with the reactionary sterotype. You didn't bother with a thoughtful explication and defense of the liberal view, you just hurled a baseless charge of pedophilia at the Jesuit order (which to my knowledge, no Jesuit has been accused of) and finished off with further insults. And I'm not even sure that Walsh is from the Society of Jesus, just that he wrote an article attempting to explain liberalism from the conservative viewpoint.

Hell, even Elwood wrote a point-by-point analysis. And like MartyG said, if the words he used were to big for you, you should just admit it and obtain more schooling so that you understand what it is he's trying to say. The man has a minimum of 10 years of post-graduate education in the liberal arts and philosophy in some of the finer universitites in Europe and America. I don't care about his religion. But I do care about what it is that he said.

Where's the great liberal thinker and defender of the faith? All I've heard so far is a lot of facile and fatuous screeching about some sort of "moral values" fraud that a bewinked American electorate allowed to be perpetrated upon itself.

C'mon....go find some Noam Chomsky, or something from Tikkun or even The Nation. Counterpoint, and rebuttal, that's what I want to see.

T.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pretty sure he was using the pedophile statement to tie into his next sentence/conclusion regarding the difficulties of lumping a large group of people into neat little behavioral groups based on the actions of a few members of said group. not that he actually believed father what's-his-name is actually a pedophile...

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For example, almost no liberal who could afford not to would send his kid to a public school.

I would send my kids (if I ever have any to public school). My wife is a teacher and I support the instution which employs her.

Liberalism is moralistic. But liberals are also highly selective in their moralizing, opposing only things that would not require change on their part. - I'm a liberal and I don't oppose alternative energy. As a matter of fact I purchase 90 of my electric energy through a program that guarntees that it is wind produced. There for I did not oppose a change have a nice day father.

Liberals are generally opposed to hunting, for example. That statement is so wrong I won't even touch it. Everyone that I know in my home town hunts and they come from a mix of back grounds and ideological groups. Don't confuse culture with politics padre.

Personal morality, for which they mostly no longer have a religious basis. I love this statement, boil it down to 'if you are liberal you hate god.' It must be so easy to live in a black and white universe. Just because I don't believe in "your" god doesn't mean my morality doesn't have a religious basis.

Liberals believe in government, except when it comes to doing what government does best, or does most legitimately, e.g., defense. People who don't believe in government are called anarchists. I believe in a government by the people for the people as outlined in the constitution and the amendments if he could just point to the part in the constitution authorizing a standing army (not militia) I'll be happy to listen to him. I'd also care a little more if he was a veteran, like me. Its easy to say that liberals are soft on Defense its hard to say people who served are.

They are careful to reject all aspects of "ownership society" such as privatization of social security or health care savings accounts. I don't have an opinion on health care savings accounts but I support privitizing social security in principal (the specifics I may oppose). Wait I'm liberal there fore friar mike must be wrong.

I'm tired of writing right now so I'll continue poking holes later. Enjoy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"But how about the thought that maybe the duality of elitist thought and behavior versus the need for transcendental altruism causes a chaotic bifurcation where the liberal can't reconcile the duality?"

You're GOOD!!

Usually libs don't bother to reconcile duality, but simply pretend it isn't happening. In this case they are forced to face their hypocrisy without admitting the artificiality of their emotions. Still it strains even their credulity to continually give spare change to the same guy who never improves his lot. So they decide that it must be our fault (conservatives) that there are so many who depend upon handouts, whether personally gifted or governmentally subsidized. The fact that such an assertion is unsupportable is simply more evidence of liberals refusing to attempt to justify, or even to question, that which is their mantra: "Bush, Halliburton, Big Oil, the military, industrial complex..."

Quote Reply