Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pregnancy rate for 10-14 year olds declines
Quote | Reply
Are you embarrassed by this?

http://www.cnn.com/...births.ap/index.html

To summarize the article states that pregnancy rates for 10-14 year old americans has fallen 38% since 1994 even though the age group has grown by 16%. In 1994 12,901 pregnancies were reported in 2003 the number fell to 7,900.

Is this something that we should be proud of? I am embarrassed and ashamed that babies are having babies. I understand that kids are growing up faster these days but this is ridiculous.

Where are the parents of these kids? Am I out of touch with reality? Is this a vicious circle in that kids who had kids are having kids who have kids? Are these parents grandparents at the ripe old age of 28?

I am getting married next summer and planning on having our first child in 2006. She will not be allowed to date, let alone have sex, until she turns twenty or I am dead, whichever comes first.
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy rate for 10-14 year olds declines [Barrio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck with those plans,...I hear that children generally follow their parents plans to the letter. ;-)

I don't think it's great that young girls are having kids, but the trend is certainly moving in the right direction if we're at a 58 year low point. As for where the parents are, I'd have to see more info, but I'd bet that a lot of these kids parents are dead or on drugs or otherwise out of the family unit.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I am getting married next summer and planning on having our first child in 2006. She will not be allowed to date, let alone have sex, until she turns twenty or I am dead, whichever comes first."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Good luck with that. If she waits until she's 20, it'll be her decision, not yours. All you can do is try to instill some values and hope she makes the right choices.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy rate for 10-14 year olds declines [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second this statement.

It is well known that kids gain impressions on relationships, morals, and values at a very young age from the examples set forth by their parents.

Being open about the subject and setting the proper example with your own actions and beliefs is the best way for her and him to learn about the difference between right and wrong choices and the ramifications of choices made.
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy rate for 10-14 year olds declines [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 8 -10 year olds must be developing sooner ,and taking up the slack.
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy rate for 10-14 year olds declines [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As the father of a 12 and 14 year old girls I agree that you do the best you can and hope for the best. My wife and I are both educated with good careers (not just jobs) and impose solid morals. Not trying to sound elitist just that no matter how hard you try good families still have troubled kids. The 14 year old has been more than a handful this year and last and I don't mean the normal teenage hormonal stuff :-( It sounds easy to say that locking them up till they are 20 will work, just try and lock them down for a week or two and see if they don't go twice as hard to screw up just to get even. I used to think alot of these kids had to be from broken homes too, not anymore. We are working hard at this every day right now and let me say it ain't easy.....
Last edited by: woodenshoes: Nov 17, 04 18:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"She will not be allowed to date, let alone have sex, until she turns twenty or I am dead, whichever comes first. "

She'll move out of the house by the time she's fourteen if you are serious about this. Gauranteed.

Trust me as the father of a never been pregnant twenty year old daughter - give the kid some slack.
Quote Reply