Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WTB speedplay grease gun or equalivalent
Quote | Reply
Hi
looking to buy a speedplay grease gun or equalivalent. I went to HD and no luck finding a similar grease gun with a tip small enough. Might try a local mom/pop hardware store if no luck here.

PM me

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: WTB speedplay grease gun or equalivalent [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Save yourself some money - go to your local pharmacy and get yourself a 10cc syringe (without a Luer lock, if possible). Pull out the plunger and take a popsicle stick or similar utensil and use it to stuff the syringe w/ whatever grease you like. Replace the plunger, squeeze out the air in the tip and you're good to go. Works like a charm.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: WTB speedplay grease gun or equalivalent [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks should not be too hard since I am a pharmacist.
Any suggests on a lube to use?

chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
phil wood grease works great
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use white lithium grease - it's kinda thin, so it's easy to squeeze into a syringe, but seems to pack the bearings nicely and hang in there a good long time.

Quote Reply
Re: WTB speedplay grease gun or equalivalent [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does home depot sell any of this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surely a better way would be to attach a wide-bore needle to the end of the syringe and just suck the grease directly out of the tube/pot the grease came in?
Quote Reply
Re: WTB speedplay grease gun or equalivalent [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe, but the widest opening available is the tip of the syringe - it's about 2-3mm in diameter, tops. Any grease worth using will have a viscosity too high to suck through that hole, unless you have a way to heat up the grease to the point where the viscosity decreases sufficiently. Then, you'd likely have to stick it in the fridge or let it cool for a while before proceeding. The white lithium grease I mentioned came in a squeeze tube w/ a pointed nozzle for application - it's a pretty easy operation to squeeze it into the barrel of the syringe.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I use white lithium grease - it's kinda thin, so it's easy to squeeze into a syringe, but seems to pack the bearings nicely and hang in there a good long time.
Since lithium and polyurea-based greases (like Phil Wood) are not compatible, make sure to flush out all of the old grease if you are changing types. You don't want to mix them.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greetings,
I bought a "mini" grease gun at Pep Boys a few years ago with a couple of marine quality grease tubes. The gun came with a needle tip in addition to several other tips that fits perfectly into the speedplay grease port. It cost, all together about $12.00 (more or less). If you are interested, I can dig it up and see if I can find a model number or something to ID it.
Thanks,
Raysr
Quote Reply
Re: WTB speedplay grease gun or equalivalent [raysr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes that would be great if you get a chance, just in case the syringe thing does not work.

THank and if you want to just PM instead of posting what ever wokrs best for you.

thanks
chris
Quote Reply