Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Israeli Knesset approves disengagement plan
Quote | Reply
http://www.haaretz.com/...n/spages/493811.html

Last Update: 26/10/2004 21:52 Knesset approves PM Sharon's disengagement plan By Gideon Alon, Mazal Mualem and Nadav Shragai, Haaretz Correspondents and Haaretz Service

The Knesset on Tuesday evening approved Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's disengagement plan by a majority of 67-45. Seven MKs abstained in the vote, while one MK, Yehudit Naot, was absent due to illness. Education Minister Limor Livnat and Finance Minister Benjamin Netanyahu initially threatened to abstain in the vote after the ministers managed to secure a deal with the National Religious Party under which the party will not quit the coalition government if a referendum on the pullout plan is held.

Livnat and Netanyahu, along with ministers Yisrael Katz and Dan Naveh, were all absent from the first round of voting. They walked into the plenum as the initial results were being read. They were then given the opportunity to vote on the plan, and they all voted in favor of the withdrawal.

Ministers Silvan Shalom and Tzachi Hanegbi also voted in favor of the plan.

Minutes after the vote, Netanyahu and Livnat announced that they will quit the government, as will ministers Katz and Naveh, if Sharon does not decide to hold a national referendum on the plan within the next 14 days.

The National Religious Party has also given the prime minister 14 days to decide on a national poll. The party promises to remain in the government if the poll is called, whatever the results.

Sharon fires Landau and Ratzon
Sharon fired Minister Without Portfolio Uzi Landau and Deputy Minister Michael Ratzon for voting against his disengagement plan.

Sharon called Ratzon into his chambers a short time after the vote, and handed him a letter of dismissal.

Sharon handed Landau a similar letter a short time later.

Landau has consistently voiced his opposition to the disengagement plan and is seen as the leader of the "rebel" camp in the Likud.

17 Likud MKs vote against plan
Twenty-three Likud MKs voted in favor of the plan, while 17 voted against it. A total of 21 Labor and One Nation MKs voted in favor, as did 14 Shinui MKs, six Yahad MKs, two United Arab List members and one National Union MK (Michael Nuddelman).

All eleven Shas MKs voted against the plan, on the orders of the party's spiritual leader Rabbi Ovadia Yosef, as did six National Religious Party members, six National Union MKs and five United Torah Judaism Mks. Three Hadash MKs and three Balad MKs abstained, as did one One Nation MK.

Labor faction chief MK Dalia Itzik said after the vote that this was a "great day" for Israel

===================================

We may see a serious shakeup in the coming weeks if the Likud "rebels" quit and/or Sharon seeks to form a unity government with Labor and Shinui. I'd like to this this a big step in the right direction - any thoughts?

I'd like to this this a big step in the right direction - any thoughts?

I only know that this is hugely controversial in Israel- I've heard two reports in the last week that brought up the possibility of civil war. While I don't expect that to happen, it's a little spooky to hear the term bandied about.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Israeli Knesset approves disengagement plan [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The country is very divided. The right/left wing factions are even more diviseable than in the USA. An Israeli friend of mine once told told me that any time two Israelis discuss politics expect three opinions. A subtle way of saying that nobody seems to agree on anything over there, especially when it comes to the Palestinians. Throw in that kind of religious fanaticism on both sides and you have to wonder if peace will ever be possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Israeli Knesset approves disengagement plan [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I understand the majority of the country supports disengagement, but that those opposed are really against it. I've heard the possibilty of civil war as well, but I don't think that means you can give into the religious nutjobs.

"those opposed are really against it. ......religious nutjobs. "

That's my understanding of Israel also, although I've never been there. Unfortunately the fanatic religious right is more influencial than their actual numbers and quite often their vote is important to keep conservative governments in power, therefore concessions are often made. Let's just hope such a situation never happens over here.
Quote Reply
Re: Israeli Knesset approves disengagement plan [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That's my understanding of Israel also, although I've never been there. Unfortunately the fanatic religious right is more influencial than their actual numbers and quite often their vote is important to keep conservative governments in power, therefore concessions are often made. Let's just hope such a situation never happens over here.
Very true, and the right wing parties are currently in the ruling coalition, although that might change if they pull out and a unity government is formed. I'm not completely up on the rules of parliamentary politics, but if Sharon can get a majority of Likud to agree to a unity government then he'll have a lot more freedom to implement the disengagement. I don't know how easy that will be though...

>I'd like to this this a big step in the right direction - any thoughts?

Depends on your point of view. If your sympathies lie with Israel, then it's a stroke of genius. If, however, you understand the Palestinians plight, then it's just a sham. The israelis never really wanted the Gaza Strip, so they're quite happy to surrender that while continuing to settle the West Bank which is what they really want.

It's basically a trashing of the peace process and every UN resolution since 67 which said that Israel must give back the land acquired by war. There's bugger all chance of the Palestinians getting much of the West Bank back now.
Quote Reply
Re: Israeli Knesset approves disengagement plan [WebSwim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's certainly one interpretation, and who knows, maybe that's exactly what Sharon is thinking. But he's not going to be in power forwever, and it may turn out that this first step may make it easier to think about evacuating more of the West Bank as well.

The israelis never really wanted the Gaza Strip

Not entirely true - there's no doubt that it's not nearly as important historically or strategically as the West Bank, but they haven't been building settlements, conducting military operations, etc... in Gaza for the last 30 years just for the hell of it.

Of course they should have returned it to Egypt a long time ago, but that's hindsight and too late now.