Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

the war has been least successful where it has the highest stakes
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Retired Army Gen. Wayne A. Downing, who was summoned to lead the White House Office for Combating Terrorism a few weeks after the Sept. 11 attacks, said the war has been least successful where it has the highest stakes: slowing the growth of jihadist sympathies in populations that can provide the terrorists with money, concealment and recruits. Bin Laden has worked effectively to "convince the Islamic world the U.S. is the common enemy," Downing said. He added, "We have done little or nothing. That is the big failure."

More of that liberal media bias.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6302447/
Quote Reply
where is he now? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The General has since resigned. He resigned because he strongly disapproved of the way the Bush administration is handling the anti-terror offensive, and more particularly its intelligence side.

iambigkahunatony.com
Quote Reply
Re: where is he now? [wmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't you mean, it's "lack of intelligence" side?

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: where is he now? [wmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where is he now?

he's with all the other former administration officials that disagreed with the president then found themselves retired.
Quote Reply
Re: the war has been least successful where it has the highest stakes [rb5980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So he says.

Maybe he resigned because he didn't do his job.
Quote Reply
Re: the war has been least successful where it has the highest stakes [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Maybe he resigned because he didn't do his job.

I assume you mean 'was retired' - folks usually don't fire themselves for cause.

Just curious Brian, is there *anything* you disagree w/ Bush and the current administration on?
Quote Reply
Re: the war has been least successful where it has the highest stakes [triathron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, Nixon resigned...he saw the writing on the wall.

Some people are given the option to retire before being fired. Maybe this General was exercising this option to save his severence.

Happens all the time.

If you think I'm a blind follower of Bush...you're wrong.

I disagreed with his nomination in 2000...I wanted McCain.
Quote Reply
there have been 6 nccsg's during the Bush administration [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The General was not the first to resign.

Richard Clarke was the first. He had been appointed by President Bush I. He resigned in frustration.

He was replaced by Rand Beers, who subsequently resigned in frustration and now works for the Kerry campaign.

There were subsequently 4 (or 5) others (I think the last guy just resigned two weeks ago).

iambigkahunatony.com
Last edited by: wmh: Oct 22, 04 12:32
Quote Reply
Re: the war has been least successful where it has the highest stakes [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I disagreed with his nomination in 2000...I wanted McCain.

There's something we can agree upon - I was profoundly disappointed by McCain's support of Bush.

Wasn't trying to make an accusation - it was a serious question.
Quote Reply
Re: there have been 6 nccsg's during the Bush administration [wmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happens all of the time. Job hopping.
Quote Reply
Re: the war has been least successful where it has the highest stakes [triathron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No accusation whatsoever. I'm not overly pleased with the choices in the election. I would give everything I have to see McCain or Powell at the helm right now.
Quote Reply
Re: there have been 6 nccsg's during the Bush administration [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't happen all the time. Clarke held that positin for three administrations.

iambigkahunatony.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powell, btw, is also resigning.

iambigkahunatony.com
Quote Reply
Re: the war has been least successful where it has the highest stakes [wmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard that as well. He's served well. Probably one of my most favorite icons and a great example of leadership.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I would give everything I have to see McCain or Powell at the helm right now

Holy fucking shit we almost agree*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* I'd give a couple hundred $$, but not everything I have.
Quote Reply
Re: the war has been least successful where it has the highest stakes [rb5980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your contribution would be more than mine...Unless they take bikes and engagement rings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you read the Powell GQ interview? GQ has since taken it down, but you can get the gist here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...ay5?language=printer

Ina bumper sticker, Powell is isolated and frustrated, just like: Clarke, Beers, ...

iambigkahunatony.com
Quote Reply
Re: the war has been least successful where it has the highest stakes [wmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sense and somewhat understand Powell's frustration on the issues and the role he's had to play in the current administrations policies. I don't know if GWB is an easy guy to work for...

I was able to meet and briefly chat with the Vice Chairman of the Joint Chief of Staff this past weekend, Gen Pace. Great guy. I wanted so badly to ask him some of the issues we discuss daily here but we were at a wedding and I'm sure he didn't want to be bothered with that kind of stuff. Still a great guy to talk to...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course the right wing of the republican party will never let either of those guys have the nomination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope..they'd win as independants.

Both parties are machines...nasty machines...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Both parties are machines...nasty machines...
true dat.
Quote Reply