Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A letter from Iraq
Quote | Reply
This is a letter from one of our fellow employees who is a reservist serving in Iraq.

All,

I wanted to send this out (please feel free to forward this) as some perspective from BOG (Army acronym for Boots on the Ground).

I have seen some scary stuff, heard about atrocities (luckily didn't see that), seen the chaos, etc. Contrary to the sensationalism, there is a lot of good things happening over here. Yes, the insurgents still attack every day, yes, we still lose folks every day. It's messy, and until you've actually seen it you cannot imagine how messy it is.

Having said that, we are building schools, hospitals, providing medical care, building infrastructure, etc. As a matter of fact, people are risking their lives every day doing it. The vast majority of the Iraqi people are peaceful, and are welcoming. The insurgency is very localized, and spearheaded by a (relatively) small group of people.

The insurgents basically are trying to disrupt life around here (that is their goal). The press has been sucked right in to their trap -- it's much more sensational to report on casualties, attacks, etc than real humanitarian work. And I won't kid you, they have been successful on a number of levels. When they behead someone on the internet, and a country stops sending their drivers (Nepal, Jordan, etc), that disrupts things. I have to tell our folks out here all the time, "you must adjust to an ever changing environment".

People, by their nature, do not like the uncertainty of having no idea what they may be doing day-to-day. They tend to get frustrated. That is exactly what the insurgency is trying to do, what it is designed to do. The press falls for it, the American people, the international opinion, all start falling for it -- the insurgents win.

Let me tell you about these insurgents, they are criminals and thugs. I'm not sure if this was reported over there. But about a month ago, the Mugtada Militia held a sacred mosque in Najaf. The US and Iragi military laid seige to the mosque and eventually took it back. Inside the mosque were literally tons of ammunition and assorted weapons. Outside the mosque were the bodies of an estimated 200 women and children which had been tortured and multilated by the insurgents. The embedded Stars and Stripes reporter showed me the pictures, and the article he had written. No newspaper picked up the story.

The Iraqi people have a lot of growing to do -- they have been under totalitarian rule for so long, they don't have the taste of freedom. That's why they are vulnerable to bullying, and somewhat reluctant to embrace their freedom (but they do like it so far from what I have seen). That's why we have to stay until the job is done. The Iraqi people like what they see, but they don't have the trust in themselves to self-rule and stand up to the bullys yet.

We cannot abandon them. Whether you consider the decision to invade a mistake or not -- that doesn't matter. Going forward, a bigger mistake would be to leave before this job is done.

As much as I miss home, and see and experience things I wouldn't normally want to -- I am glad to be a part of this.

Nate
Quote Reply
Re: A letter from Iraq [TxDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't take this the wrong way, but can you vouch for the veracity of this letter? It sounds vaguely like another "letter" that was going around the internet a while ago, and this passage seems hard to believe:

"Let me tell you about these insurgents, they are criminals and thugs. I'm not sure if this was reported over there. But about a month ago, the Mugtada Militia held a sacred mosque in Najaf. The US and Iragi military laid seige to the mosque and eventually took it back. Inside the mosque were literally tons of ammunition and assorted weapons. Outside the mosque were the bodies of an estimated 200 women and children which had been tortured and multilated by the insurgents. The embedded Stars and Stripes reporter showed me the pictures, and the article he had written. No newspaper picked up the story."

The idea that al-Sadr's militia (usually called the Mehdi Army, not the Mugtada [sic] Militia) would torture (presumably Iraqi?) women and children makes no sense at all.

I have to say, however, that I agree with a lot of the ideas put forth in the rest of the letter though.

Yes, as I said, he works for HP, like me. He's in Houston, I'm in Austin. He works with a buddy of mine based here in Austin. I also emailed him directly prior to posting here. It's legit.
Quote Reply
Re: A letter from Iraq [TxDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

Letter from a young soldier in Iraq

"President Bush has lost the respect of every soldier"

07/04/03: From a soldier's father:

"My son is in the U.S.Army and currently stationed in Baghdad. I hear from him every three or four days. He is like most of the young men and women who went to fight over there inasmuch as he was proud to go and achieve what President Bush said was necessary. I have seen his attitude take a U-turn during the last month. At first he was saying: "I wonder why we are not doing this or that to help make life better for our soldiers?" Then he started to wonder why we were not doing more to help the Iraqi people who are suffering under terrible conditions. Not enough water or food, no electricity most of the time, a terrible shortage of medical supplies and medical staff, basically they are living like animals. Then he started to worry about the safety of our troops in the area. He says they are sitting ducks and easy targets for Iraqi people bent upon gaining revenge for slain family members and by those who hold the U.S. responsible for the terrible conditions they find themselves in. Ye sterday he had a different message altogether."

"Get us out of here now! There is nothing we can do to pacify the Iraqi people except get out of their country and allow them to restore order in whatever way THEY wish."

And, allow me to give you his remarks when he was informed of President Bush's brash remarks saying "Bring them on." He said:

"Myself and every last man in my unit are deeply offended that our President would make such a statement inviting us to be attacked. President Bush has lost the respect of every soldier I have spoken to because of his speaking those irresponsible words. Those words spread like wild-fire amoung the troops.

We are here because he ordered us to be here and now for him to make such a ridiculous statement inviting violence towards us causes us to lose respect for him and his judgement. We are learning that we never should have come here in the first place. Believe me Dad, there is a completely different attitude now. The fact that the President gave rich people a tax cut and didn't do anything for military families is hurtful. Where there was once pride and satisfaction in defeating an enemy there is now regret and shame. God Bless America.

Your loving Son, Donny

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Re: A letter from Iraq [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seems that these form letters have been around for awhile:

http://www.theolympian.com/...ontpage/121390.shtml

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Re: A letter from Iraq [GJS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I know, and so many seem to be BS it's hard to know.

Just found this which seems to support the allegations of torture against al-Sadr. I wonder why, if this is true, the Bush administration hasn't been publicizing this...

http://www.americanthinker.com/....php?article_id=3808

"President Bush has lost the respect of every soldier"

a former boss gave me a lesson in evaluations once, beware of claims of greatness from someone who can't see above the trenchline (i.e. don't write "1LT johnson is the best 1LT in the 82nd ABN DIV" because I as a CPT don't have the visibility off ALL the 1LTs in the brigade let alone the division to make that assertion. ( a population of maybe 200-250 officers depending on the branch)

So what makes anybody think that "joe" in this case knows that GWB has lost the respect of every trooper on the ground??

Myself and every last man in my unit are deeply offended

what size unit is he talking about? fireteam, squad, platoon?

I can attach four or five personal emails from good friends that currently in the greem zone that would contradict most of what this letter says.

unless you personally know the guy, I would treat most of these "posted letters" as questionable
Quote Reply
Re: A letter from Iraq [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just found this which seems to support the allegations of torture against al-Sadr. I wonder why, if this is true, the Bush administration hasn't been publicizing this...

http://www.americanthinker.com/....php?article_id=3808

I have no way of knowing whether these allegations are true, but I have no doubt about the bias of that "publication". Too bad there seems to be no description of who is behind this site. I suggest the reason the Administration hasn't been publicizing this is because the reality is somewhat different than you read. Not that *that* has stopped them before...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: A [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the polls showing that the military support the President by a margin of 70+ to 20 something over Kerry, the claim that President Bush has "lost the respect of every soldier" seems to be hyperbole.
Quote Reply
Re: A letter from Iraq [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have no doubt about the bias of that "publication".
Sure, but it jives pretty well with what TxDude's friend's letter says.