Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Explain the difference... part 2 [rb5980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I am saying where there is disagreement among religious scholars, and there isn't science to back up your position, then butt out."

From your other posts, I would have guessed that religion would have no bearing whatsoever on your opinions. Are you saying that if there were religious unity on the point you would accept it?

On the issue of science, you should know that Roe was flawed from a scientific standpoint on the day it was issued. Science has only widened the gap.

The claim that early in the pregnancy the unborn is a "mass of cells" is disingenuous at best from a scientific veiw. There is exactly zero doubt concerning what that "mass of cells" will manifest.

The state of the pro-choice argument has moved past that argument because it is ultimately unpersuasive. If you look at the current thinking on the point, you will find a much less scientific approach.

The current argument concedes that the product of egg and sperm will result in a human child. The argument, in its most forcefull iteration claims that until the child draws a breath, the mother has the "right" to abort because it is her body. The right is based in law, independent of science, recognizing a zone of privacy pretaining to the woman.

The problem with it, strictly from a legal perspective, is that Roe and following cases contradict other areas of law which do recognize the unborn as human. Example, a pregnant woman can choose to abort at 6 months without consequence if a doctor is involved. That same woman can be prosecuted for murder if she uses crack coke causing a miscarriage. Her boyfriend could be prosecuted if he kicked her in the belly causing a miscarriage. So, if the law were changed back to pre-Roe, would you accept it as the will of society?

"Tibbs- My problem with religious people is thtat they're always trying to force their belief on you. "

The anti-abortion/pro-life case can be made solely on the basis of ethics, without recourse to religion. The fact that the largest pro-life groups are associated with religion does not mean that the advocates are forcing their religious beliefs on you. Secularism is also a belief system. Is it any better to force it on others?
Quote Reply
Re: Try these feelings on for size... [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then what is your point here? Not being snippy, but you're taking me to task, so I think I should assume that you disagree with my point.

Well, maybe I was being a little snippy. It's clear that at that stage, the body is pretty well formed, movement is happening, etc. Your original post seemed to imply, however, that the fetus was deliberately reaching out to hold the surgeon's hand, and that set off my BS-meter.

But in the end maybe nothing in my post was super important. (except for pregnant women taking folate!)

When the point of viability equals the moment of conception, do you think abortion will be banned?

Unfortunately, I see no reason to expect that. It isn't as if viability is enough to stop an abortion, "moderate" arguments on the issue notwithstanding. We can't even get partial birth abortion banned.

The problem isn't at what point viability begins. Abortion rights advocates don't care about viability.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Explain the difference... part 2 [Tri N OC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is going to sound pompous, but I assure you it isn't meant to be.

You should know that one of my degrees is in philosophy, and I have studied this issue more than most.

Enough to know that I'm wasting my time here.
Last edited by: rb5980: Oct 17, 04 18:11
Quote Reply
Re: Explain the difference... part 2 [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
- - I'm no expert, so I'm just asking. Do they ask for it more often, or get it more often?

i'd have to do a bit more research, but i don't think it's particularly relevant whether prosecutors ask for it more often in cases involving minority defendants or minorities simply receive it more often. if prosecutors ask for the death penalty in a higher percentage of cases involving minorities, that speaks of some type of bias/problem within the ranks of the district attorneys. if capital punishment is sought at an equal rate, but a higher rate of minorities receive it then that also speaks of a flaw in the system.

is it possible that minority criminals are a nastier bunch? i suppose so, but it doesn't seem like a likely answer to me. my feeling is that there are just as many whacked out white folks as minorities. i don't really see how it could be otherwise.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: Explain the difference... part 2 [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Ya know if you reallllly think about it, I am the poster boy for mandatory abortion.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Last edited by: Mr. Tibbs: Oct 17, 04 20:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"This is going to sound pompous, but I assure you it isn't meant to be.

You should know that one of my degrees is in philosophy, and I have studied this issue more than most."

Whoda thunk it? Me too!!!!!! Ethics emphasis no less.

"Enough to know that I'm wasting my time here."

No need to be like that. If you want to advance an argument, by all means, do. Ad hominem attacks aside (and they are usually rare), I think people get a fair hearing and a critical response here. So take a run at my last response to you.
Last edited by: Tri N OC: Oct 17, 04 20:40
Quote Reply
Re: Explain the difference... part 2 [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my number one problem with the pro-death folks. This comes from abortionfacts.com:
When the unreported abortions are added (income tax evasion, cover-up for privacy, etc.), a figure of 1,800,000 may be more realistic. Live births have hovered just under 4,000,000. Therefore: Almost every third baby conceived in America is killed by abortion.

The Women's Issues website claims that there are nearly 46,000,000 abortions worldwide, every year.

"I was talking about situations in which the mother's health is in danger because of the pregnancy, not where it is inconvenient to the mother to be pregnant."
- - Well what do you know? I hate to be the one to break this sad news, but we're in agreement here. Defining what truly presents "danger" is a slippery slope, and one that has been sorely abused in the PBA business, but assuming there is some way to have accountability here, that's certainly a good criteria.

"And the majority of pro-choice advocates I've heard of don't agree with that practice [abortion for convenience]."
- - Maybe not, but they're the lead blockers for it. And I don't hear ANY of them out there trying to change things. Basically, I'm forced by all available evidence to challenge your assertion here.

"Most that I have heard will tell you that they would personally counsel against abortion, but that they think the final choice is not theirs to make, but the mother's."
- - Regardless of whether the abortion is simply a matter of convenience. The other part simply comes off as lip service, since they're not taking any action or responsibility to stop the slaughter of 1,800,000 babies each year.

"As for your numbers and your claims that abortion is on the rise, I'm not sure the facts support you."
- - I am.

"Additionally, abortions have actually steadily decreased from 1,608,600 in 1990 to 1.31 million in 2000 when the most updated numbers are available."
- - Not the numbers I've seen, but let's use your numbers. Considering that only 4 million babies are born, does the fact that over 25% of pregnancies are terminated by abortion seem to you like a good thing? And if it's a bad thing, shouldn't we do something?

"As for your .0005% number for maternal health problems, I'm not sure where you got that, but what I researched said that it was more like 3% with another 4% for fetal health issues like being stillborn or really severe developmental problems."
- - 1.3 million X 3% is still 39,000 per year, and I'm just jaded enough to think that a big chunk of those aren't true mother's health issues. I know for a fact that some doctors are willing to exterminate the unborn because mom has emotional challenges and call that "maternal health problems." I think you and I agree that "maternal health problems," should represent something a little more serious. But even if we go with your numbers here (combined with your other numbers which are lower than the sites I checked) we still have 1,271,000 abortions for which there doesn't seem to be any decent excuse.

"Currently, pro-choice americans outnumber pro-lifers by a slim margin (about 48% pro-choice to about 43% pro-life) When that number changes, maybe the law will change."
- - So if 48% of the population were anti-slowguy, would that suddenly make it OK to kill you? When did such a matter get left up to the rabble to decide?

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Enough to know that I'm wasting my time here."

Your time is wasted? How can a philosophy major ever conclude thus? You make your statements, and you move molecules of thought into the universe. Even if only one person reads them, they're now out there. The fundamental tenet of Buddhist philosophy is on works, not on results.

Now perhaps if you didn't belittle other people's thoughts as "sophomoric," but spent your time more understanding them, and then eloquently framing your own contributions, you'd get better responses.

As a philosopher, you might like a post I'm planning to put up in the next day or so on abortion. I hope you'll find it interesting from a philisophical point of view.

Quote Reply
Re: Explain the difference... part 2 [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"if prosecutors ask for the death penalty in a higher percentage of cases involving minorities, that speaks of some type of bias/problem within the ranks of the district attorneys."
- - No, I'm sorry, that's not enough information to make such a conclusion. It's only a matter of bias if the facts of all the cases (across ethnic lines) are ostensibly the same.

"if capital punishment is sought at an equal rate, but a higher rate of minorities receive it then that also speaks of a flaw in the system."
- - It just might point to the fact that there are more killers out there among certain ethnic groups. That might point to a societal problem, but it isn't at the law enforcement end.

"is it possible that minority criminals are a nastier bunch? i suppose so, but it doesn't seem like a likely answer to me."
- - Recognize that minorities represent a disproportionate percentage of slum-dwellers, and perhaps it does.

"my feeling is that there are just as many whacked out white folks as minorities."
- - You might be right, but if you add all the minorities in this country together, I think you'll find that whites aren't really a majority. Your statement about bias might be correct, but your syllogism doesn't hold water. You'll need to actually evaluate cases and find white guys getting away with similar crimes (or lesser sentences) for which minorities are sentenced to death.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

http://www.snopes.com/photos/thehand.asp

"Dr. Bruner later elaborated on some of the exaggerated and false claims made about this picture:
"It has become an urban legend," says Bruner, the Vanderbilt University surgeon who fixed the spina bifida lesion on Samuel. Many people he hears from wonder whether it's a fake.

"One person said the photo had been reviewed by a team of medical experts and they had determined that it was a hoax," Bruner says with a laugh.

More commonly, people want to know how the photo came to be.

Some opponents of abortion have claimed that the baby reached through the womb and grabbed the doctor's hand.

Not true, Bruner says.

Samuel and his mother, Julie, were under anesthesia and could not move.

"The baby did not reach out," Bruner says. "The baby was anesthetized. The baby was not aware of what was going on."3 "

Well, the mother's version was on my post, and the doctor doesn't have an explanation as to how or way the unborn child is grabbing his finger...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read the link:

"What actually happened, as described in news reports of the surgery, was that:
[J]ust as surgeon Dr. Joseph Bruner was closing the incision in Julie Armas' uterus, Samuel's thumbnail-sized hand flopped out. Bruner lifted it gently and tucked it back in.2 "
The photo doesn't show the fetus "grabbing" anything - the hand is simply resting on the surgeon's finger.

"The photo doesn't show the fetus "grabbing" anything - the hand is simply resting on the surgeon's finger."

Well then it was certainly well posed. You'll notice the fingers are wrapped around the doctors finger, not just "flopped out" onto it.

In either event, does that look like something non-human to you. The point here is whether or not you think this "non-viable tissue mass" is human or sub-human, deserving of life, or expendable at the whims of it's mother.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The point here is whether or not you think this "non-viable tissue mass" is human or sub-human, deserving of life, or expendable at the whims of it's mother.

I understand your point.

However, I also think that debunking internet myths and exaggerations is a worthwhile end unto itself.

Prev Next