Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Idiot new hire...what would YOU do?
Quote | Reply
So my boss hires a new assisitant for me (and two others here). He did not at all ask us who, or anything about this person. We had nothing to do with picking this guy...it is OBVIOUS that at best this guy who has been here is an idiot...HAD to have lied on his resume and tells tall tales about his past employment (and if they were so great why is he now my assistant?). So, in the last week we find that #1 we cant trust his work as he has no idea even the basics of what it is we do...#2, he is bothersome and none of us like him as a person even...and #3 he likes to talk about how great he is and how smart he is....to people who are smarter than he is (like telling a CCIE co-worker about Cisco gear...and he was wrong about it - convinced he was right, but wrong). He was even telling a 3Com district manager that he installed the "second" 3Com IP phone system in the country...but didnt know what "VoIP" was an acronym for, nor what 802.11a/f is...

So, do I just tell him he is an idiot? I dont think that the boss will just dump him....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Idiot new hire...what would YOU do? [Record10Ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain...

We have some of these in our support positions as well and I have to deal with them on a daily basis. I have told them that are idiots but it does no good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In conclusion, you are working for a boss who hires idiots. If you are not, you should think about if you want to continue to work for him.

--------------------------------------------------------
visit the funniest german-speaking triathlon community:
http://www.emu5.de Tongue
even available in English now:
http://www.emu5.de/en_index.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to get rid of him while he is hopefully still on probation. Because god help you if he stays long enough to become a pain in everyones ass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a decent relationship with your boss, be straight up with him about the new guy being an idiot. If not, set the loser up to embarass himself in front of the boss (VoIP for instance). I had a boss that thought he was a genuis--my coworkers discussed OSI layer 8 with him... :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had this problem -- for reasons too boring to recite here, the majority of the lawyers at my firm have no control over the hiring of secretaries. A few have been particularly bad and I just kept sending e-mail after e-mail to our hiring folks documenting screw ups. I don't have a say over whether these people get fired, but I sure as hell will create a paper trail documenting good, substantive reasons (i.e., true mistakes, not just "we don't get along well") why they don't belong here. It usually takes far longer than it should for these people to get canned, and my guess is that I'm viewed as a pain in the ass. I don't care.
Quote Reply
Re: Idiot new hire...what would YOU do? [AmyMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer,if its like most places he will get promoted......Watch out he's probly your next boss. Or worse your customer!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, I know a guy exactly like that. I work at subway with this dork. Thing is that I'm only 18 and he is like 27 or something. He claims to have a degree from oxford in mathematics and says he's played professional rugby in wales, sure buddy.... Biggest liar I ever saw.
Quote Reply
Re: Idiot new hire...what would YOU do? [moggy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put him on the spot , have him hook up something while a tech. watches , have him explain a system to a salesman, let him hang himself around other people.

Generally if one is always telling you how good they are, they are FULL of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just give him a hug. That's all he really wants, you to accept him for who he really is, a distressed supermodel needing to touch your masculine body.
go for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ignore him completely. If he speaks to you, stare through him like he isn't there. Nothing.

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Re: Idiot new hire...what would YOU do? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you got shot of him yet?

Deceptively slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Idiot new hire...what would YOU do? [springgreen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL - talk about dredging up old posts.

He did not last long at all. The guy was a jack ass moron - my oh my there were funny stories, dude really needed anger management courses too.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chip--rally up the other two this clown supposedly "assists" and get on the same page on how you're going to handle it. you will need to document examples of his failing work, examples of when you caught him in a lie, etc.

document all of it, and set short timeframes for the guy to "turn it around". give him difficult tasks that someone with his experience should be able to handle. the other 2 need to so the same. pressure him and have meetings with him going over his performance and make it feel he is on "probabtion" with you. (you don't have to use that word). don't put up with any of it and pressure him--he might quit on his own.

if he doesn't quit, take your documentation to your boss and the three of you will need to meet with your boss to go over this guy's lousy performance. it will be even better if you can provide examples of how he is slowing you down, which causes a loss in revenue.

you boss will this information and documents in order to fire the guy and not have any legal issues.

attack it head on--get that clown out of there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Man, I know a guy exactly like that. I work at subway with this dork. Thing is that I'm only 18 and he is like 27 or something. He claims to have a degree from oxford in mathematics and says he's played professional rugby in wales, sure buddy.... Biggest liar I ever saw.

moggy, that's hilarious. ask him if he has all of that going for him then why the hell is he working at subway? surly someone of such "stature" would have the world as his oyster...who knew that oyster was subway.

hahahahaha!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take his red stapler and move him to the basement.
Quote Reply
Re: Idiot new hire...what would YOU do? [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ROTFLMAO!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Idiot new hire...what would YOU do? [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Take his red stapler and move him to the basement.
Hehehehe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not goggle him, if he is dumb enough to name clubs and times you have him cold by contacting the club by e mail!!!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Idiot new hire...what would YOU do? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ROTFLMAO

===============================================================================

Which stands for??

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Idiot new hire...what would YOU do? [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rolling on the floor laughing my ass off