Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why this country is in trouble [think-or-thwim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never gone to Europe on a travelpack. Got deep in the heart of it by virtue of work. Been to as many small villages as I've been to large ones....deep in the heart of Switzerland, France, and Germany.
Quote Reply
Re: Why this country is in trouble [Linus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When it comes to the point, that we don't manufacture anything locally, when our society has more TAKERS than MAKERS, when no one has personal responsible for anything, when we have NO funds to help health costs & their liability reasonable, when we can spend billions on a war, firing X5 charlie MKII super rockets ( $1.8 mil ) at a group of poor bastards with $40 rifles,so the manufacture can say "its battle tested ", When Old folks Interest income, drop to low ,to live like before ,Sending money into real-estate, pushing up prices to level only 10% can aford to buy. We'll be screwed Wooooh ,,, we are already there .
Quote Reply
Re: Why this country is in trouble [think-or-thwim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see that democracy necessarily goes nicely with religious freedom

So you think democracies must necessarily be secular?

Even in countries like ours democracy ends for a lot of Muslime women where they are forced to wear head scarves, because their religious belief tells them so.

Tell me again how following one's own beliefs is anti-demcratic?

While this is a very smooth example I am sure there are thousands of other contradictions between their religion and our means of democracy.

That's because you mistakenly equate democracy with secularism.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Why this country is in trouble [trio_jeepy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the whole, we have a high literacy rate, but I think the depth of our education is generally weak.

I suspect that the vast majority of college graduate or attendees spent most of their time in college either drunk or learning things they felt would have a direct impact on their ability to secure employment - things like accounting, or other vocationally-oriented areas. As a result, I think that we have quite a skilled workforce, but one lacking in certain critical thinking skills and a basic love of knowledge for knowledge's sake.

Yeah, what you said.

I'm reading Russell Kirk's "Redeeming the Time" right now, and these are the points he addresses. It should be required reading.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Why this country is in trouble [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, they don't have to be secular. But we can't impose our Christian / western based democracy on their Islamic way of thinking.
They have to develop theri own means of democracy.

Look at Turkey now: they wish to be part of the EU, but due to many of their laws which are based on their religious beliefs, they were rejected, since too many of them are absolutely anti-democratic. Only yesterday I heard on the news that the Turkish government intends to change laws such as those on adultery. It is a fundamental crime there, now in order to accomodate they wish to change this law. Thousands of people especially women went on the street to protest against changing this law. Turkey is still one the most liberal Islmaic states on this earth, but even then the conflict arises.
Having to wear head scarves for women is anti-democratic. They don't have a choice in the very most Islamic countries, whether they want or not. Men don't want them to go without for religious reasons.....bullshit...for selfish reasons, but is democracy for men only? Emancipation is centuries behind...and womens emancipation is purely democratic. If you wish to know more about it, just follow Turkey on their way to become a western style democracy and multiply their conflicts by the factor of at least a 100 in order to understand better how fundamental Islamic countries are.

All I am saying is that our measures of democracy hardly count, as brains are "programmed" differently (not better, not worse..just different) .
In Turkey it is a development which will takes some many years, whileas Turkey is VERY liberal......how can you force other more fundamental Islamic countries to get there with a military invasion? It will take AGES and causes more conflicts, extremely bad emotions within those countries against the invaders...as you can see today! How come this was obvious to all countries which were against the war, but not to those who fought ..are still fighting the war?

---------------
If you ever want to know what an "eggman" is, then simply click here....http://www.emu5.de
Last edited by: think-or-thwim: Sep 16, 04 4:14
Quote Reply

Prev Next