Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bush takes a beating [Linus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This brings me to the german patriotism: can you imagine, that it is quiet difficult to say "I am proud to be a german" in germany? outside, it is less a problem, but inside, this is only used by new nazis. I had to become 35 years old, making experiences with french patriotism before i was able to say "I am proud to be a german". If another german hears me saying this, i have immediately to explain, that i do not think that germany is the best country in the world, better than any other. I have to explain that germans in my opinion are not better than other people. I have to explain that i am not proud about german history between 1914 and 1918 or between 1933 and 1945. I have to explain that i regret these periods. But i remain however suspicious.

I hear ya Linus. As I grew up in Brussels (we moved there when I was 3) I knew every single WWII insult for Germans by the age of 10. Evenu from grown-up. I distinctly remember one day coming back from school, my neighboor was working in her front yard, I said "Bonjour madame" and got a "qu'est-ce que tu me veux sale bosch" in return. My mom had to explain to me what it meant.

But I've never got that impression since I moved to Canada or whenever I travelled to the US. Not like there's any point in denying my heritage with my name ;)

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Last edited by: WHeinle: Sep 16, 04 12:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is pretty sad you can't say you are proud to be German. It is interesting you have to exlpain you are not proud of your history from 1914-18 or 33-45 I would think that was understood. Just like when I say I am proud to be American I am not saying I am proud of our history in our treatment of Blacks or Native Americans but people here understand that. Interesting that you have to qualify it there. I guess some wounds are slow to heal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious, but what about WWI are you not proud of?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Bush takes a beating [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just curious, but what about WWI are you not proud of?

Although I'm not Linus, I hope it's ok if I respond.

For starters our ancestors were the agressors invading other Eurpoean countries and they introduced the chemical warfare by using amongst others mustard gas. Nothing to be really proud of.

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Quote Reply
Re: Bush takes a beating [WHeinle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, if it will make Germans feel better, they were not the first to use chemical weapons. The Chinese were documented to have used them as early as 1000BC. As for aggresion, that was a time when countries on the continent traded alliances and territory with regularity. The continent was almost always at war, and this just happened to be Germany's turn. Not saying you should be proud of it, but i wouldn't lose any sleep over it if it were me.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very good post, Linus, as that is absolutely true. As a german you can't really admit that there may be reasons to be proud of being German. The past, and only focussed on Nazi Germany is still quite present sometimes. But for our generation it is the past, we never lived in Nazi Germany. So when anyone points his finger at me saying something like "bad German, Heil Hitler" I just don't care and I ignore it. It's just too stupid to even react on it.

The more I feel pride towards the European idea. I am very proud to be European, I love our load of diversity and culture and it is amazing to see the development within Europe. How countries with so many different mentalities come together as one.

---------------
If you ever want to know what an "eggman" is, then simply click here....http://www.emu5.de
Quote Reply
Re: Bush takes a beating [WHeinle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You just forgot the invasion in France via Belgium, that was neutral.

(ATTENTION, joke alert: the same thing happened in WW2. Therefore, i sometimes repeat to my french collegues that next time, we will probably do the same ...)

--------------------------------------------------------
visit the funniest german-speaking triathlon community:
http://www.emu5.de Tongue
even available in English now:
http://www.emu5.de/en_index.htm
Quote Reply

Prev Next