Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who served? [GJS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
US Navy Chief, on active duty since 1987.

Having or not having a military background does not make you a leader or presidential. Nixon and Carter both were in the Navy both had serious errors in judgment. Reagan and Truman did not serve and they did a fine job.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Who served? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Reagan and Truman did not serve..."

Wrong and wronger. Both were in the Army--Reagan in WWII and Truman in WWI. Reagan made training films in Hollywood (but hey, that was what he was good at so that's how they used him), Truman was an artillery officer in France. Go back to school, chief. 5VM?
Quote Reply
Re: Who served? [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, Reagan wanted to serve in the combat forces but due to a hearing problem (broken eardrum) could not serve in the manner he wanted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"What's your excuse?"

For what? I have a whole list of them prepared for my upcoming performance at IMMOO, but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for.

I'd say you got schooled by a jarhead on your knowledge of presidential history - don't let the other chiefs hear about that!

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Re: Who served? [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sound's like a convenient excuse he made up when he became a politician - broken eardrums heal. I had a number of ruptured eardrums as a child and the Navy let me dive for 10 years.

_________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bad.

Second chance, FDR never served and yet he was President longer than anyone, and has the largest memorial in DC. Being in the military does not guarantee you will be a good President

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant was a General and many would argue that he was one of our worst Presidents.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Who served? [Shad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
On another note didn't one of the Swift Boat Veteran get a bronze star at the same time as Kerry? (I don't know which one) For the same events?
Yes, and he's the guy who is really spearheading the SBVT group. He's also one of he guys who insists there was no enemy fire during the event, and that he didn't know he was up for a Bronze Star until he got one.

Grant was a decent man who was easily manipulated.

Disclaimer: I never served in the military but I did write a report on Ulysses S. Grant in 4th grade, so I think I qualify as an expert ;)

USMC 1981-1990

"Happy are those who choose the Corps......and say 'goodbye' to boredom forevermore"

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read through a book on Reagan this weekend. This book said it was his "poor eyesight" that prevented him from serving in the "way he wanted" (assuming this meant as a pilot.) Therefore, he opted for the training film job.
Quote Reply
Re: Who served? [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"He's also one of he guys who insists there was no enemy fire during the event, and that he didn't know he was up for a Bronze Star until he got one."

Just a note. You don't need to be underfire to get a bronze star. You just need to show valor.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. My only beef is with politicians who say "I would have been a combat marine/infantry soldier/war hero but..." I'm sure back in your USMC days you didn't have to look too far to see a Marine carrying a rifle and wearing glasses.

_________
Quote Reply
Re: Who served? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Just a note. You don't need to be underfire to get a bronze star. You just need to show valor."

For that matter, you don't have to know you're up for the award to get it. Commanders sometimes purposely don't say anything so they can surprise their guys at an award ceremony or something.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Who served? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy & Tibbs: I'm on the same page - the guy wasn't shocked when he got the Bronze star - he just figured that he was put up for it for fishing people out of the water.

From the Navy Awards Manual--If the Bronze Star is earned in combat, the Combat Distinguishing Device (Gold "V" for valor) may be authorized. The medal citation must specifically state that the "V" is authorized (Ahem--ADM Boorda).

Some guys in Vietnam (Army) got the BS without the "V." If you were a Marine, that was unheard of. There is a lot of leeway in the awards process, and some services (Army/Air Force) gave medals out like M&Ms.
Quote Reply
Re: Who served? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So true, I got my Navy Achievement Medal after I was discharged (the paper work was submitted before I discharged). I would have given that damn thing back though, I got it for painting a floor. Of all the things I deserved to be recognized for painting a floor and reading directions for the paint wasn't one of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
U.S.A.F 1993-1997
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
U.S.N. 1980-1984. VA-147 out of Lemoore, CA attached to the U.S.S. Constellation, CV-64 and the U.S.S. Kitty Hawk, CV-63. Have work as a defense contractor ever since.

jimmyk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't partaken of the Lavender Room yet, but just for your data.

USMC - 1986 - 1992 - with a tour as a REMF during GF1.

AZARNG - 2001 - present - went to OCS to become 2LT and will soon(Nov/Dec Mob - Feb/Mar BOG) be heading to Iraq as an MP PL.

I know that some people used the NG as a way of staying out of VN, but many Gaurdsman and Reservists served honorably over there. And today it's very difficult to avoid getting activated, with I would guess about 60-70% of those activations being for OEF or OIF.

Ed

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Germany 83-85, man were those the "good ole" days. Not a care in the world, riding my bike all over the country side. No obligations, no debt--well my massive px stereo system was on loan. Just waiting to get out to spend the college money. Glad I didn't know then what I do know now. Bought a great turntable as I couldn't finance a CD player and wasn't sure they'd catch on to fast.
Quote Reply

Prev Next