Why Harris-Walz would be a disaster for the country

I’m good with the Reps 20 platform points. I’m not good with the doofus at the top of the ticket focusing more on crowd size than these 20 points.

I discussed Trump’s proposals here:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=8169973#p8169973

Care to counter, if you’re good with his platform?

no I’m finished “countering” with you but thanks anyway.

The** no tax on tips which Trump said two months ago** is a good idea so if your platform is totally scripted like team Biden then you roll with even though it’s not yours.
Trump also said no tax on social security that would be huge.

When Trump claims it is “his policy” he is not being honest. The President cannot unilaterally decree no taxes on tips and no tax social security, that is Congress’ job. It was good to see that Harris and Walz were honest about this and said they would need to work with Congress.

“The proposal would require legislation. As President, she would work with Congress to craft a proposal that comes with an income limit and with strict requirements to prevent hedge fund managers and lawyers from structuring their compensation in ways to try to take advantage of the policy.”

I’m still curious why tipped income is different than wage income.

I’m surprised enough people report tips that it’s even an issue but I guess that’s a function of people paying with credit cards nowadays rather than cash?

I delivered thousands upon thousands of pizzas over the years.Never once did any of those cheap bastards tip me.

But that was pre-credit cards for delivery. And why I try to tip in cash any time I can.

I’m not averse to giving these workers a break on taxes. It just doesn’t make sense to create a distinction between tips and wages.

Really? I thought it was standard to tip delivery drivers!

What I didn’t know until maybe a decade ago was that leaving tips for the hotel room cleaners was a thing. Just never occurred to me that that was even something people did.

I’m good with the Reps 20 platform points. I’m not good with the doofus at the top of the ticket focusing more on crowd size than these 20 points.

Can’t speak for Tyler, but I suspect he and we are waiting for the platform of the democratic party and their candidate so we can then have a compare and contrast. For the time being however,

I mean what is not to like about it? On foreign policy it can’t get any better than this:

PREVENT WORLD WAR THREE, RESTORE PEACE IN EUROPE AND IN THE MIDDLE EAST, AND BUILD A GREAT IRON DOME MISSILE DEFENSE SHIELD OVER OUR ENTIRE COUNTRY – ALL MADE IN AMERICA

One must assume that since the devil resides in the details of any endeavor, why even go there?

feel free to speak for me because I’ve already communicated that to KS and other here. others get what you get. KS just wants to be “right” and “own” somebody.

So, when it happens I will be happy to discuss #3 and others with you in comparing and contrasting to the Dem points.

our foreign policy can’t get any better than that. Which is why it is placed where it is. To highlight the current policy and how that’s working out. Now, these points were written WAY BACK when Reps thought they were running against the same guy who came up with and is (supposedly) running the current policy. Let’s see what the appointed/annointed group comes up with

edit: if the new policy includes a multi million dollar “dock” to deliver aid to Gaza while continuing to arm Israel I’ll probably be “against”…

The no tax on tips which Trump said two months ago is a good idea

Is it? Why is that kind of income special? Who gets to not claim tips? Can a lawyer be tipped? Why or why not? How do you make the distinction on when and for whom “tips” are not claimed as income?

This seems like a half-baked idea that opens up a whole lot of options for avoiding income taxes.

I agree with this. There quite likely are people working in service industries that at doing very well who ought to be paying taxes. Or restaurants make wait staff even more dependent on tips on the premise it is non taxable income so they can justify paying less. It is just a dumb idea

Waiters are paid the minimum wage, sometimes as low as $2.13 per hour. I don’t know how they could go lower than that.

Can’t speak for Tyler, but I suspect he and we are waiting for the platform of the democratic party and their candidate so we can then have a compare and contrast. For the time being however,

I mean what is not to like about it? On foreign policy it can’t get any better than this:

PREVENT WORLD WAR THREE, RESTORE PEACE IN EUROPE AND IN THE MIDDLE EAST, AND BUILD A GREAT IRON DOME MISSILE DEFENSE SHIELD OVER OUR ENTIRE COUNTRY – ALL MADE IN AMERICA

One must assume that since the devil resides in the details of any endeavor, why even go there?

feel free to speak for me because I’ve already communicated that to KS and other here. others get what you get. KS just wants to be “right” and “own” somebody.

So, when it happens I will be happy to discuss #3 and others with you in comparing and contrasting to the Dem points.

our foreign policy can’t get any better than that. Which is why it is placed where it is. To highlight the current policy and how that’s working out. Now, these points were written WAY BACK when Reps thought they were running against the same guy who came up with and is (supposedly) running the current policy. Let’s see what the appointed/annointed group comes up with

edit: if the new policy includes a multi million dollar “dock” to deliver aid to Gaza while continuing to arm Israel I’ll probably be “against”…

No, I started a thread to actually discuss Trump’s platform and offered my rational criticism of some of his policies. I was hoping you would offer a defense of them seeing as you support them, but you continue to duck out of the discussion.

PS in preparation for your end of the discussion you may want to look at the entire Rep “platform”. It is posted on line and in the thread KS references.

the point you reference is not meant to be all encompassing nor are the other points. Each has a more devil in the detail discussion posted later in the document. while you still may not agree with it I’d hate for you to enter the discussion thinking those points are an end all and be all.

I have to assume the Dem points will be put forth in a historically similar manner but, again, we are in uncharted waters in terms of how the Dem candidates have reached this point in the process, as well as how they are choosing (or not choosing) to communicate anything about their vision for the future at this point.

No, I started a thread to actually discuss Trump’s platform and offered my rational criticism of some of his policies. I was hoping you would offer a defense of them seeing as you support them, but you continue to duck out of the discussion.

you’re right. way to go.

The** no tax on tips which Trump said two months ago** is a good idea so if your platform is totally scripted like team Biden then you roll with even though it’s not yours.

When Trump claims it is “his policy” he is not being honest. The President cannot unilaterally decree no taxes on tips and no tax social security, that is Congress’ job. It was good to see that Harris and Walz were honest about this and said they would need to work with Congress.

“The proposal would require legislation. As President, she would work with Congress to craft a proposal that comes with an income limit and with strict requirements to prevent hedge fund managers and lawyers from structuring their compensation in ways to try to take advantage of the policy.”

I’m surprised enough people report tips that it’s even an issue but I guess that’s a function of people paying with credit cards nowadays rather than cash?

I delivered thousands upon thousands of pizzas over the years.Never once did any of those cheap bastards tip me.

But that was pre-credit cards for delivery. And why I try to tip in cash any time I can.

I’m not averse to giving these workers a break on taxes. It just doesn’t make sense to create a distinction between tips and wages.

**Really? I thought it was standard to tip delivery drivers! **

What I didn’t know until maybe a decade ago was that leaving tips for the hotel room cleaners was a thing. Just never occurred to me that that was even something people did.

I don’t do sarcasm font.

**Really? I thought it was standard to tip delivery drivers! **

I don’t do sarcasm font.

That’s on me. I should have got it.

The Biden-Harris administration was supposed to turn America into a crime ridden hellscape…that didn’t happen.

New data shows violent crime dropping sharply in major U.S. cities (axios.com)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/neo-nazism-and-islamism-who-is-asad-zaman-the-imam-hosted-by-tim-walz/ar-AA1oEB15?ocid=winp2fptaskbar&cvid=38255dbd691c4daefc4d328ad7ced522&ei=13

Have not done a deep dive on this but if Tim Walz is donating large sums to an anti-Semitic Muslim cleric that seems troublesome.

Politicians need to stay away from CAIR entirely. Walz will need to answer questions on this issue.

Walz hosted Zaman three times in 2019, once in 2020, and again in 2023, among others, the Washington Examiner reported.

The Washington Free Beacon found last week that Walz appeared alongside an antisemitic scholar at a conference called “Challenging Islamophobia,” hosted by CAIR in 2019. The scholar Hatem Bazian has defended anti-Israel terrorist activities, the report noted.

Imam Asad Zaman pledged his support to Palestinians after October 7 and has previously promoted a Neo-Nazi propaganda film expressing support for Hitler, the Washington Examiner revealed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/neo-nazism-and-islamism-who-is-asad-zaman-the-imam-hosted-by-tim-walz/ar-AA1oEB15?ocid=winp2fptaskbar&cvid=38255dbd691c4daefc4d328ad7ced522&ei=13

Have not done a deep dive on this but if Tim Walz is donating large sums to an anti-Semitic Muslim cleric that seems troublesome.

Walz is a long time civil servant who doesn’t own a house or stocks. He isn’t donating large sums to anyone.

Steering would be equally bad.

There is no evidence of that either.

Digging just a little. I think all of these are around state funding for a non-profit and state events around fighting anti-Muslim discrimination and outreach.

Politicians need to stay away from CAIR entirely. Walz will need to answer questions on this issue.

Walz hosted Zaman three times in 2019, once in 2020, and again in 2023, among others, the Washington Examiner reported.

The Washington Free Beacon found last week that Walz appeared alongside an antisemitic scholar at a conference called “Challenging Islamophobia,” hosted by CAIR in 2019. The scholar Hatem Bazian has defended anti-Israel terrorist activities, the report noted.

Imam Asad Zaman pledged his support to Palestinians after October 7 and has previously promoted a Neo-Nazi propaganda film expressing support for Hitler, the Washington Examiner revealed.

that seems like sound advice.

just continuing to pretend that these things “aren’t true” like one of our esteemed posters wants to do is the wrong way to go. Harris Walz really needed to anticipate all these things were going to come up and really needed/need to be prepared to get in front of people and deal with them head on.

Digging just a little. I think all of these are around state funding for a non-profit and state events around fighting anti-Muslim discrimination and outreach.

From what I read the money was not from Walz but from the state and it was for mosque security. Some of it didn’t even come from the state but from the labor department.

Seems like some pretty desperate spin.

The no tax on tips which Trump said two months ago is a good idea

Is it? Why is that kind of income special? Who gets to not claim tips? Can a lawyer be tipped? Why or why not? How do you make the distinction on when and for whom “tips” are not claimed as income?

This seems like a half-baked idea that opens up a whole lot of options for avoiding income taxes.

I agree with this. There quite likely are people working in service industries that at doing very well who ought to be paying taxes. Or restaurants make wait staff even more dependent on tips on the premise it is non taxable income so they can justify paying less. It is just a dumb idea

Waiters are paid the minimum wage, sometimes as low as $2.13 per hour. I don’t know how they could go lower than that.

They also have to pay out their tips to the bartender, busser and sometimes hosts. So when someone stiffs them they lose a fair bit of money and those that don’t tip tend to sometimes be higher maintenance, meaning they work harder for nothing.

“I’m not trying to sugar coat things”

Reducing Trump’s insane conspiratorial public projection/accusation to “complaining” is sugar coating, whether intended or not. Just to be clear. People are tired of being gaslit about Trump’s behavior so if you want to engage with people on the other side, you should understand why that matters. Do with that what you will.

“Lying about Harris crowd does not change my vote. Being duped does not either”

I didn’t expect that you would. It’s nothing new. I would hope there’s a point or topic beyond which you won’t countenance his lying, but we’ve yet to find it yet.

‘Was copying “no tax on tips” acceptable (to you)?’

Is “copying” some sort of cardinal offense? Good policy is good policy. Will you be upset if Trump signs the bill Harris has already pledged to sign? By the way, I assume you care about the border, so how do you feel about him blocking that vote for the reasons he did—his own personal election/stay out of jail prospects?

‘Should I expect to see you making these sorts of judgements in both directions here’

If you’ve read through the thread I think you’ll have your answer.

“ We were lied to for years by the Biden admin pretty much across the board. Including Harris lying about his mental abilities.’

What explicitly did Harris say about his capacity to do the job, and what hard evidence do you have that what she said was a lie?

“I’m not trying to sugar coat things”

Reducing Trump’s insane conspiratorial public projection/accusation to “complaining” is sugar coating, whether intended or not. Just to be clear. People are tired of being gaslit about Trump’s behavior so if you want to engage with people on the other side, you should understand why that matters. Do with that what you will.

“Lying about Harris crowd does not change my vote. Being duped does not either”

I didn’t expect that you would. It’s nothing new. I would hope there’s a point or topic beyond which you won’t countenance his lying, but we’ve yet to find it yet.

‘Was copying “no tax on tips” acceptable (to you)?’

Is “copying” some sort of cardinal offense? Good policy is good policy. Will you be upset if Trump signs the bill Harris has already pledged to sign? By the way, I assume you care about the border, so how do you feel about him blocking that vote for the reasons he did—his own personal election/stay out of jail prospects?

‘Should I expect to see you making these sorts of judgements in both directions here’

If you’ve read through the thread I think you’ll have your answer.

“ We were lied to for years by the Biden admin pretty much across the board. Including Harris lying about his mental abilities.’

What explicitly did Harris say about his capacity to do the job, and what hard evidence do you have that what she said was a lie?

Thanks for the reply. Ive crossed several self imposed lines today. Need to take a break. Sorry you have some good points here and they deserve answers. But they won’t come from me tonite

Have a good night