Taylor Knibb olympic races

currently sitting at 3rd/11 finishers; medal hopes are pretty dim!

i think a few people pegged this during the discussion about her doing the road race, but even the ITT requires some skill. or anyway, winning the ITT does. holding aero, pacing, managing the conditions, even swapping quickly - they all count. there’s some chap called chris boardman commentating for the bbc. not sure if he knows anything about cycling, but he said,

"Judgement is all part of game. It isn’t just power, it isn’t brute force, it’s also technique and judgement and knowing where to back off.
"

Road is wet and people are crashing all over.

We’ve only seen Cecilie UL, Kopecky and Knibb x 3 crash

No, not really. Only two others have crashed and only once each.

What a disaster. No idea what she was thinking leaning that much on the second crash, especially when you’ve already crashed.

That’s what I said to my daughter right after it happened, she went into that corner like it was full dry, you can’t steer by leaning like that especially when you just went down it’s too much of a risk. It’s almost like she thought she as out of it and needed to risk more.

I see Kopecky also went down. Her and Knibb had a similar split at the first time check

lotte kopecky (bel) or julia kopecky (pol)?

Multiple other riders have crossed the line having clearly crashed (on different bikes, visible road rash, etc), they just haven’t been shown

No, not really. Only two others have crashed and only once each.

Then you aren’t paying attention. Several riders have made it to the finish line with clear marks of road rash and dirty/torn suits.

Lotte, (Bel)

And Chloe just crashed. So like I said, crashing everywhere.

Dygert goes down too.

Dygert down too

Dygert down!

currently sitting at 3rd/11 finishers; medal hopes are pretty dim!

i think a few people pegged this during the discussion about her doing the road race, but even the ITT requires some skill. or anyway, winning the ITT does. holding aero, pacing, managing the conditions, even swapping quickly - they all count. there’s some chap called chris boardman commentating for the bbc. not sure if he knows anything about cycling, but he said,

"Judgement is all part of game. It isn’t just power, it isn’t brute force, it’s also technique and judgement and knowing where to back off.
"

After all of Taylor’s crashes Dygert goes down too nd 51 seconds down at first time check. Go Grace Brown!

even without the crash she was way behind…

yikes

even without the crash she was way behind…

yikes

Ellen Van Djik was also not as strong as I thought she would ride. I think Knibb ended up 1:30 down on Kopecky. Kopecky with one crash. Let’s see Grace and Dygert come across the line

also surprised by ellen. but hasn’t she been off on mat leave? (and a fractured ankle or something?)

also surprised that lotte is already down to 4th; figured she’d be good for a podium but there are several girls yet to finish!

Great ride from Grace. Impressive Bronze for Dygert after going down.

No one went down more than once so no excuse for Taylor to go down 3 times. I don’t care how wet it was.

Wow Grace destroys Dygert by 90 seconds, Dygert not even in the same zip code (crash, but like Taylor, they have to stay up)

Great ride by GB’s Anna Henderson for Silver

Yeah, she also beat Dygert. But Dygert already appreared to be behind already early before the crash

also surprised by ellen. but hasn’t she been off on mat leave? (and a fractured ankle or something?)

also surprised that lotte is already down to 4th; figured she’d be good for a podium but there are several girls yet to finish!

Ellen is still in a walking boot. She had to be helped onto the bike and into position. I don’t even know how you can ride with a fracture like that.

Even with the crashes, Taylor can see where she matches up with the pure cyclists. I do not fault her for wanting to race, but today was a disaster and hopefully it doesn’t impact the rest of her races.