Taylor Knibb olympic races

Not saying anyone will skip, just that it is extremely disrespectful, a kick in the guts, for IM to expect everyone to race to qualify but bends rules for someone who chose not to bother.

Not saying anyone will skip, just that it is extremely disrespectful, a kick in the guts, for IM to expect everyone to race to qualify but bends rules for someone who chose not to bother.

so you are saying comming 4th at worlds within 12 month of the worlds is not qualifing…
you should complain about the silly validation rule … its ok to race an ironman in august 2023 and qualify for september 2024 worlds but its not ok to come 4th at the worlds champs in october 2023 to qualify for september Nice 2024 its just bs. and also won the the 70.3 world champs in the qualification period for nice .
so technically she did race 2 70.3 races in the qualification period.

If she raced 2 70.3 then why has she not qualified. I have never said the qualification process is good, bad or other. What I did say is that if all others have to follow the qualifying precess then they shouldn’t bend the rules.

If she raced 2 70.3 then why has she not qualified. I have never said the qualification process is good, bad or other. What I did say is that if all others have to follow the qualifying precess then they shouldn’t bend the rules.
cool they have wildcards in the rules so i guess you are ok with a wildcard then
its part of the process and that should make it ok for the pen pusher like yourself and for the ones that look at the bigger pic to have the best people racing .
win win .

so you are saying comming 4th at worlds within 12 month of the worlds is not qualifing…
you should complain about the silly validation rule … its ok to race an ironman in august 2023 and qualify for september 2024 worlds but its not ok to come 4th at the worlds champs in october 2023 to qualify for september Nice 2024 its just bs. and also won the the 70.3 world champs in the qualification period for nice .
so technically she did race 2 70.3 races in the qualification period.

I believe the validation races need to be outside of the championship races. It’s like in team pro sports, you have a regular season and playoffs. You can’t use this year’s playoffs to qualify for next year’s playoffs. You end up having to go back to regular season. Conceptually this makes sense. And if you are running a regular season of worldwide races, you want athletes in your regular season, not T100’s or World Triathlon’s regular season or no big names come to your regular season.

There are 8 IM Worlds between these Olympics and next Olympics and other than Olympic gold medalists, who jump the queue, everyone knows the framework in advance to qualify for an IM Worlds. If she was banking on being Olympic gold medalist in the Individual tri, she failed to get in through that mechanism. It would have been easy to do Boulder 70.3 and skip T100 SFO (obviously one is more money so she took that, and those are trade offs in life).

It seems she is happy (from some interviews) to do UCI TT worlds if she can’t go to Nice. If she wins Taupo 70.3 Worlds she just has to do 2x70.3 before Kona next year and not do a full IM . This seems like a great set of options rather than cramming a full IM into the plan for the year.

Not replying to you specifically but to the thread…

I guess it’s par for the course, a TK Olympic race thread became an Ironman qualification and wild card and validation nerd-out.

• won the the 70.3 world champs in the qualification period for Nice, so technically she did race 2 70.3 races in the qualification period.I believe the validation races need to be outside of the championship races. *
  • It would have been easy to do Boulder 70.3 and skip T100 SF. *
    If she wins Taupo 70.3 Worlds she just has to do 2x70.3 before Kona next year and not do a full IM . This seems like a great set of options rather than cramming a full IM into the plan for the year.
    @pk - the 70.3WC and IMWC are both explicitly excluded from being a validation race.
    @Dev - “I believe” - just read the protocol (which I’ve linked more than once).
    If she wins Taupo she just has to do 2x70.3 before Kona next year
    If IRONMAN maintain their 2024 validation requirement/protocol, an athlete with an exemption who chooses the two 70.3 option has to race two before 1 July (not “before Kona”). I’d observe that given there’ll be at least 4 T100s in that March-June period, adding in two 70.3s will be a lot of racing.
    This year only Philipp (WPro) took this route, and she did so so she could race Roth.
    do 2x70.3 . . . and not do a full IM . This seems like a great option rather than cramming a full IM into the plan
    Knibb will race an IMWC better if she gets some full distance experience so I don’t think it’s a “great option”. She has to explore how well she can run 26 miles after a harder bike (as opposed to the sensibly controlled one last October); both balance of effort and nutrition.

its part of the process and that should make it ok for the pen pusher like yourself and for the ones that look at the bigger pic to have the best people racing .
win win .//

Its been funny to watch all the ladies here bunching up their panties over what they think should happen, what they think is fair, and how dare anyone even think winning an olympic medal means anything, especially a relay one. My take has always been based in reality, these tangenlal folks just like to spin out in their heads and have the world revolve around them and their ideas. Of course Ironman is going to let her in, not even sure why that is part of the discussion. Why in the world would Ironman shoot them selves in the foot, and for what gain really? You have the past WC, the current WC, most recent olympic medalists, certainly a future multiple WC of your races, and highly likely series winner, and you are going to teach her a lesson, ha!!! If she want to, she will be there to race and most likely win too. All the word salads going off to tangents to different sports, what is fair, or them is the rules, whaaa, whaaa, whaaa, there is another thread for that somewhere here… (-;

They should be building their brand around her right now while they can, this will be the biggest thing in their races since the Lance Mania that hit when he came back and had a short crack at the series…Not only should she get the invite, they should probably pay her to show up and be a good soldier for the brand…

Haven’t read the whole thread, has an IMWC spot been requested without validation? Or is it just speculating that there may be a request or that IM may offer a wildcard invite?

Haven’t read the whole thread, has an IMWC spot been requested without validation?//

Think she said it in her interview, so I would call that a request…And pretty sure(like 100%) Ironman has seen that interview…

A little sad to use “ladies” as a pejorative for the posts that you find tangenial (?) and bothersome to your omnipotent reality. Everybody is free to opine, especially when there is a principle involved. Knibb, fairly or unfairly, is gaining the perception as a hardheaded athlete that wants to have her cake and eat it too. Call it gritty, others perceive it as capricious. What did she accomplish by taking the focus off of her main event to do the TT? This forum was up at arms about the effort of the road race prior to the relay for her. To know that her slot was the one that freed up Faulkner to win the gold medal is preposterous. Knibb wasn’t going to medal in the road race or in the TT. It’s the Olympics not a school field day. Sure IM will likely give her a slot to Nice after she chose a payday over their requirements. It’s entertainment. But doing so totally devalues the sense of sport and entirely makes it an exhibition. Sure, validating is lame but it’s the same rule for everybody.

win win .//

Its been funny to watch all the ladies here bunching up their panties over what they think should happen, what they think is fair, and how dare anyone even think winning an olympic medal means anything, especially a relay one. My take has always been based in reality, these tangenlal folks just like to spin out in their heads and have the world revolve around them and their ideas. Of course Ironman is going to let her in, not even sure why that is part of the discussion. Why in the world would Ironman shoot them selves in the foot, and for what gain really? You have the past WC, the current WC, most recent olympic medalists, certainly a future multiple WC of your races, and highly likely series winner, and you are going to teach her a lesson, ha!!! If she want to, she will be there to race and most likely win too. All the word salads going off to tangents to different sports, what is fair, or them is the rules, whaaa, whaaa, whaaa, there is another thread for that somewhere here… (-;

They should be building their brand around her right now while they can, this will be the biggest thing in their races since the Lance Mania that hit when he came back and had a short crack at the series…Not only should she get the invite, they should probably pay her to show up and be a good soldier for the brand…

Once again we know where you stand with regards to Taylor. Huge fan boy. I think it’s funny that you are all for throwing the rules out when it has no bearing on your life but then take offense that people who make a living with it would have a problem with her there without having to race. If at your job they did something like that which affected your bottom line I bet you would have a problem with it but let’s not think about the other women. It’s Taylor’s world and I guess we just live in it.

I think Im would have a tough time marketing around her because she just isn’t that marketable besides winning races. Some people have that presence like lcb and some don’t at the moment. She would definitely benefit from some professional help in that regard.

I think it’s funny that you are all for throwing the rules out when it has no bearing on your life but then take offense that people who make a living with it would have a problem with her there without having to race. //

No, I understand the rules perfectly well, you seem to be the one that doesnt understand them. Ironman reserved their right to add anyone they choose for whatever reason they deem, and that has been a thing since day 1 of this race starting in1983 and the first qualifying. If you want to look it up it is called the wild card statute. So what you accuse me of is actually what you are doing throwing out the rules they run their business by…Take it up with Ironman if you dont like their rules…

Here’s the thing. In the buildup to the Olympics Taylor prioritized going to Kona even though many people said the last thing she needs to do is that kind of long endurance effort.

She gave them a show, much to the chagrin I’m sure of USA triathlon.

This year the only thing Ironman can hold against her is she did a single t100 race in SF but also did a single 70.3 in Oceanside. That’s in addition to become the USA time trialing champion.

She was completely fair to each organization.

Theres no good reason for IM to not extend the slot to an athlete like this in an Olympics year.

Lucy didn’t have an Olympics and a TT national championship. Laidlow didn’t.

The circumstances justify Ironman in making this decision. The reasons not to are so they can hide behind the process rules as though those were more important than making Nice as exciting as possible.

Don’t forget, IM wants to keep hyping up their non-Kona races. They would be making a mistake to exclude her from Nice just to support a process oriented claim.

I agree. I think it’s preposterous that Taylor Knibb could beat Faulkner in the time trial. Oh wait……

1. 2023 IRONMAN 70.3 World Champion Exemption
    a. Subject to certain requirements set forth by IRONMAN (and as may be changed from time to time by
    IRONMAN in IRONMAN’s sole discretion), the 2023 IRONMAN 70.3 World Champions will receive an
    invitation/exemption to enter the Pro Athlete division in the 2024 Championship Race (the “2023 IRONMAN 70.3 World Champion Exemption”).
    b. Pro Athletes who are eligible to compete in the 2024 Championship Race because of the 2023 IRONMAN 70.3 World Champion Exemption will be required to complete a Validation Race . A win in a T100 tour race will be accepted in lieu of one 70.3 as part of the validation process.

2. Wild Cards
    a. Due to extraordinary circumstances, IRONMAN may, in its sole discretion, elect to offer special invitations
    to participate in the 2024 Championship Race, for example an athlete who competed in two different sports.
    b. IRONMAN, in its sole discretion, may elect to offer special invitations to 2024 Olympic Medallists to
    participate in the 2024 Championship Race.
    https://cdn1.sportngin.com/...ation_Validation.pdf

Sorted!

I think it’s funny that you are all for throwing the rules out when it has no bearing on your life but then take offense that people who make a living with it would have a problem with her there without having to race.

That it’s not “throwing the rules out” (as proven by Ajax Bay) is one thing, but I just realized there is this notion that Ironman is just like a governing body for triathlon. And governing bodies should be all about fairness and equal chances for everyone, etc.

Well it’s not!

Speculatively, perhaps North Americans are more likely to think that way as IM is just so dominant in that market. There’s a lot more diversity (including big non-IM brands) worldwide though. IM is just someone we buy a service from. Or don’t.

is it me the only one who thinks Knibb will switch to cycling in 2025? She likes challenges, and that is a good one.

@Juanillo said: “is it me the only one who thinks Knibb will switch to cycling in 2025? She likes challenges, and that is a good one.”[/quote]
Yep. Just you. No chance.

is it me the only one who thinks Knibb will switch to cycling in 2025?///

Yes it is just you, I think I hear your alarm going off now, you can wake up!! (-;

She has never hidden that the ultimate ultimate for her is to win Kona, seems her whole life and career have led her to that goal. What she will probably do is race both sports at the same time, she can do that, many have done that. Only question is will she begin to learn the intricacies of road racing and give that a go too. But Triathlon will he her bread and butter, making her the highest paid triathlete ever in the next couple years. And I doubt that once she does win Kona that it will be a one and done either. Not like the old days of course when you had a crack at it every year, but the between race wherever should also be interesting if most of the top show up to contest it like they do Kona…