Taylor Knibb olympic races

1. 2023 IRONMAN 70.3 World Champion Exemption
    a. Subject to certain requirements set forth by IRONMAN (and as may be changed from time to time by
    IRONMAN in IRONMAN’s sole discretion), the 2023 IRONMAN 70.3 World Champions will receive an
    invitation/exemption to enter the Pro Athlete division in the 2024 Championship Race (the “2023 IRONMAN 70.3 World Champion Exemption”).
    b. Pro Athletes who are eligible to compete in the 2024 Championship Race because of the 2023 IRONMAN 70.3 World Champion Exemption will be required to complete a Validation Race . A win in a T100 tour race will be accepted in lieu of one 70.3 as part of the validation process.

2. Wild Cards
    a. Due to extraordinary circumstances, IRONMAN may, in its sole discretion, elect to offer special invitations
    to participate in the 2024 Championship Race, for example an athlete who competed in two different sports.
    b. IRONMAN, in its sole discretion, may elect to offer special invitations to 2024 Olympic Medallists to
    participate in the 2024 Championship Race.
    https://cdn1.sportngin.com/...ation_Validation.pdf

Sorted!

I’m confused. Did you add the t100 part because it’s not in the link you shared.

a. Subject to certain requirements set forth by IRONMAN (and as may be changed from time to time by
    IRONMAN in IRONMAN’s sole discretion), the 2023 IRONMAN 70.3 World Champions will receive an
    invitation/exemption to enter the Pro Athlete division in the 2024 Championship Race (the “2023 IRONMAN 70.3 World Champion Exemption”).
    b. Pro Athletes who are eligible to compete in the 2024 Championship Race because of the 2023 IRONMAN 70.3 World Champion Exemption will be required to complete a Validation Race . A win in a T100 tour race will be accepted in lieu of one 70.3 as part of the validation process.

2. Wild Cards
    a. Due to extraordinary circumstances, IRONMAN may, in its sole discretion, elect to offer special invitations
    to participate in the 2024 Championship Race, for example an athlete who competed in two different sports.
    b. IRONMAN, in its sole discretion, may elect to offer special invitations to 2024 Olympic Medallists to
    participate in the 2024 Championship Race.

Sorted!

I’m confused. Did you add the t100 part because it’s not in the link you shared.

LOL, did you not read the statement

“At the sole discretion of Ironman we can change the rules before, during and after competition”

Yes I read that. Was just looking for the wording about the t100.

the current between race is just a great location

i would think that the between race would likely be EU - Oz / NZ is a mammouth ask for many to make - I wonder where it will go after Nice

I want Knibb in IM WC Nice, but I want her to validate. Or at least try to validate (e.g. like Laidlow).

IM will ofc do as they please, but I’m of the opinion that wild cards are for exceptions only.

a. Subject to certain requirements set forth by IRONMAN (and as may be changed from time to time by IRONMAN in IRONMAN’s sole discretion), the 2023 IRONMAN 70.3 World Champions will receive an invitation/exemption to enter the Pro Athlete division in the 2024 Championship Race (the “2023 IRONMAN 70.3 World Champion Exemption”).
  2. Wild Cards
    a. Due to extraordinary circumstances, IRONMAN may, in its sole discretion, elect to offer special invitations to participate in the 2024 Championship Race**, for example an athlete who competed in two different sports.**
    b. IRONMAN, in its sole discretion, may elect to offer special invitations to 2024 Olympic Medallists to participate in the 2024 Championship Race.

Sorted!
"I’m confused. Did you add the t100 part because it’s not in the link you shared."
So sorry for causing confusion. You might consider dialing up your ‘humour detection sensor’ capability. To help you I’ve emboldened the minor typos which I advertently made to the IM Policy https://www.ironman.com/pro-athletes ]

a. Subject to certain requirements set forth by IRONMAN (and as may be changed from time to time by IRONMAN in IRONMAN’s sole discretion), the 2023 IRONMAN 70.3 World Champions will receive an invitation/exemption to enter the Pro Athlete division in the 2024 Championship Race (the “2023 IRONMAN 70.3 World Champion Exemption”).
    b. Pro Athletes who are eligible to compete in the 2024 Championship Race because of the 2023 IRONMAN 70.3 World Champion Exemption will be required to complete a Validation Race . **A win in a T100 tour race will be accepted in lieu of one 70.3 as part of the validation process. **

2. Wild Cards
    a. Due to extraordinary circumstances, IRONMAN may, in its sole discretion, elect to offer special invitations to participate in the 2024 Championship Race**, for example an athlete who competed in two different sports. **
    b. IRONMAN, in its sole discretion, may elect to offer special invitations to 2024 Olympic Medallists to participate in the 2024 Championship Race.

Sorted!I’m confused. Did you add the t100 part because it’s not in the link you shared.So sorry for causing confusion. You might consider dialing up your ‘humour detection sensor’ capability. To help you I’ve emboldened the minor typos which I advertently made to the IM Policy https://www.ironman.com/pro-athletes ]

Duh. Yup I’m dumb.

I want Knibb in IM WC Nice, but I want her to validate. Or at least try to validate (e.g. like Laidlow). IM will ofc do as they please, but I’m of the opinion that wild cards are for exceptions only.I would like to see Blummenfelt race in the IMWC and at Taupo. He will validate his slots at both by racing IM Frankfurt “competitively” and “finishing”. If he doesn’t we’ll not be seeing him race in either Kona or Taupo. Or will IRONMAN just declare extraordinary circumstances and give a ‘serious name’ a wildcard, as the rules they’ve made allow.
The difference with Knibb is that she has deliberately chosen NOT to follow the clear rules (and what’s more has clearly prioritised a race promoted by a challenger to IRONMAN’s hegemony over validating).
Which means that, for presentation purposes, giving KB a wildcard when he fails to finish Frankfurt for whatever reason will be less of an aberration (than the wildcard with which Knibb’s surely going to be presented).
I am surprised, given Knibb’s savvy, that she is prepared to prejudice her chances in the T100 series by toying with the notion of racing her second long distance race with inadequate preparation and recce. But as we saw last year she relishes ‘stretch targets’.
T100 Ibiza (in late September) promises to be an interesting ‘who can recover best’ test for:
Haug, Ryf, LCB, Sodaro, Philipp, Matthews, Lee, Knibb.
Per contract Haug, Ryf, Philipp, Pierré and Sodaro are required to race. The others can miss it, if they want, but then must race both Las Vegas and Dubai.

The difference with Knibb is that she has deliberately chosen NOT to follow the clear rules (and what’s more has clearly prioritised a race promoted by a challenger to IRONMAN’s hegemony over validating).

Do you have any evidence to substantiate that? I don’t think you comprehend the amount of control NGBs have over their athletes as part of 1. Olympic selection and 2. Funding restrictions. Plus we don’t know if she had any additional controls by US Cycling.

She might have asked for permission to do a 70.3 only she and her team know what happened. There was only 1 week between Boulder and Escape from Alcatraz so maybe they said no to doing both. The T100 she did do was at sea level, the 70.3 you are proposing that she missed was at 1,655m altitude. No one knows but MAY BE USA Tri said no to racing at altitude. May be she was expecting to medal and expecting an invite. Absolutely no one knows so to call out a professional athlete when you don’t actually know the circumstances.

The difference with Knibb is that she has deliberately chosen NOT to follow the clear rules (and what’s more has clearly prioritised a race promoted by a challenger to IRONMAN’s hegemony over validating).Do you have any evidence to substantiate that? I don’t think you comprehend the amount of control NGBs have over their athletes as part of 1. Olympic selection and 2. Funding restrictions. Plus we don’t know if she had any additional controls by US Cycling.

She might have asked for permission to do a 70.3 only she and her team know what happened. There was only 1 week between Boulder and Escape from Alcatraz so maybe they said no to doing both. The T100 she did do was at sea level, the 70.3 you are proposing that she missed was at 1,655m altitude. No one knows but MAY BE USA Tri said no to racing at altitude. May be she was expecting to medal and expecting an invite. Absolutely no one knows so to call out a professional athlete when you don’t actually know the circumstances.Facts, @Sheridan: Boulder was the same day (so she couldn’t do both!) SF cost her far more (6 days) than Boulder (one day) would’ve done in lost training.
“Absolutely no one knows”: sorry? Of course a close circle ‘knows’.
“Do you have any evidence?” It would be unethical to share it if I did.
Do you have insights you can share on the extent to which USAT “exerts control” over Knibb? As for US Cycling, it is surely negligible.

You are clutching for straws to suggest that USAT would say ‘no’ to Boulder but ‘yes’ to T100 SF (on the same day, 8 weeks before the MTR in Paris).

I am not “calling her out”: Knibb took a perfectly rational choice in circumstances were clear with validation for IMWC a low priority cf T100 Tour win. She and Lorang clearly decided that racing a middle distance would fit into her preparation for Paris: so which to do?

Option A: T100 SF: $25000 ftw, one 35 pointer towards a tour win and a chance to see off Gentle to establish psychological advantage. Also means she doesn’t have to race all three of Ibiza, Las Vegas and Dubai so schedule wriggle room in case of injury, illness or under-performance resulting in a DNS, DNF or poor score. Since she will be head to head with Gentle for the T100 tour win ($200k v $140k for second): it matters. And top level competition on the day (and an iconic race/venue for an aficionado like Knibb). And fun!
Option B: Boulder 70.3 Boring time trial (against second tier competitors) for a first prize of $7,500. She won Boulder last year, en route to her great AQ at the test event in Paris. Validates her exemption slot for IMWC Nice per IM rulz.

Every other female athlete (with an exemption or otherwise) has followed the laid down rules to get to Nice, despite the competing attractions/exertions of T100 and Roth. If she has asked for a ‘wild card’ for Nice then it’ll be up to IRONMAN to judge whether there are “extraordinary circumstances” which merit it’s award.
7. Wild Cards a. Due to extraordinary circumstances, IRONMAN may, in its sole discretion, elect to offer special invitations to participate in the 2024 Championship Race**.**
I merely seek to demonstrate that, given she had every opportunity to validate, she chose not to make the effort so to do, which undermines the validity of any “extraordinary circumstances” call.

Do you have any evidence to substantiate that? I don’t think you comprehend the amount of control NGBs have over their athletes as part of 1. Olympic selection and 2. Funding restrictions. Plus we don’t know if she had any additional controls by US Cycling.

She might have asked for permission to do a 70.3 only she and her team know what happened. There was only 1 week between Boulder and Escape from Alcatraz so maybe they said no to doing both. The T100 she did do was at sea level, the 70.3 you are proposing that she missed was at 1,655m altitude. No one knows but MAY BE USA Tri said no to racing at altitude. May be she was expecting to medal and expecting an invite. Absolutely no one knows so to call out a professional athlete when you don’t actually know the circumstances.

You know she lives in Boulder right? So she chose to go do sf over a home race that she would have been sleeping in her own bed and would only have had to finish. think you are stretching things here. If this was planned she wouldn’t be talking about getting a wildcard slot because Im would be in on it and would be giving her one anyway.

The only way for her to do world champs and not Ibiza was to do one t100. I think it’s pretty simple as she decided this route and then put all the eggs on winning a gold medal. That didn’t happen so she is asking to get let in. We will see what Im says but like I said before they told kb that no gold means he has to validate. Isn’t there one more race Taylor can use to validate? If this means so much to her why wouldn’t she just go do that?

That didn’t happen so she is asking to get let in. We will see what IM says but like I said before they told KB that no gold means he has to validate. Isn’t there one more race Taylor can use to validate? If this means so much to her why wouldn’t she just go do that?Yes, she could race IM Kalmar next Saturday (IM Frankfurt is MPro only). But going from an MTR on 5 August to a full distance on 17 August would be mental (KB mental).

That didn’t happen so she is asking to get let in. We will see what IM says but like I said before they told KB that no gold means he has to validate. Isn’t there one more race Taylor can use to validate? If this means so much to her why wouldn’t she just go do that?Yes, she could race IM Kalmar next Saturday (IM Frankfurt is MPro only). But going from an MTR on 5 August to a full distance on 17 August would be mental (KB mental).

So she could just walk jog it? It’s funny that pros don’t ever want to do that like some on this site always say they should. Also interesting she doesn’t want to put a full marathon into her legs like all the other women had to.

So she could just walk jog it? It’s funny that pros don’t ever want to do that like some on this site always say they should. Also interesting she doesn’t want to put a full marathon into her legs like all the other women had to.

1. walk/jog finishing is borderline “competitive”, but so was Sam’s validation (for different reasons). If not blatant jog with french fries and pizza in her hands, that would be enough.

2. I don’t often defend IM, but they intentionally introduced validation of 1x full IM or 2x 70.3 for these cases. Knibb could’ve done one more 70.3 after 70.3 Oceanside (e.g. 70.3 Boulder instead of T100 San Francisco, same weekend), but she didn’t. LCB validated doing IM Nice, Anne Haug validated doing IM Lanzarote, Laura Philipp validated doing 70.3 Kraichgau, 70.3 Valencia & 70.3 Mallorca, Daniela Ryf validated with IM South Africa (she did it with pre-race injury, knowing it will take her longer to recover but that’s what needed to be done). All other women needed to qualify.

I just love the Knibb drama.

Same same but different last year in Kona. Same same but different with USA cycling Olympic race. Will she or won’t she make it to T100 Miami, etc.

Crazy that no one is talking about Ryf (obviously this is a Knibb thread). If I’m Knibb, the fan of triathlon she is, knowing this is Ryfs last race I do whatever is necessary to be on that start line in Nice.

LCB validated doing IM Nice, Anne Haug validated doing IM Lanzarote, Laura Philipp validated doing 70.3 Kraichgau, 70.3 Valencia & 70.3 Mallorca, Daniela Ryf validated with IM South Africa (she did it with pre-race injury, knowing it will take her longer to recover but that’s what needed to be done). All other women needed to qualify. //

How many of those ladies were on their olympic teams(in two different sports) seriously fighting for a medal)and actually won one)?? Different circumstances, one could say extraordinary perhaps?? (-;

LCB validated doing IM Nice, Anne Haug validated doing IM Lanzarote, Laura Philipp validated doing 70.3 Kraichgau, 70.3 Valencia & 70.3 Mallorca, Daniela Ryf validated with IM South Africa (she did it with pre-race injury, knowing it will take her longer to recover but that’s what needed to be done). All other women needed to qualify. //

How many of those ladies were on their olympic teams(in two different sports) seriously fighting for a medal)and actually won one)?? Different circumstances, one could say extraordinary perhaps?? (-;

No one is questioning that what she tried to do was amazing. People are questioning the fact that she clearly chose the money from t100 over the easy validation from her own house and now she asking for a bail out. It’s not like her schedule didn’t allow her to do another 70.3 she just chose the path with more money and now she will have to live with it if Im says no. No ones fault but here in that regard unless she wants to go validate next weekend which she still can but is once again choosing not to.

No one is questioning that what she tried to do was amazing. People are questioning the fact that she clearly chose the money from t100 over the easy validation from her own house and now she asking for a bail out. It’s not like her schedule didn’t allow her to do another 70.3 she just chose the path with more money and now she will have to live with it if Im says no. No ones fault but here in that regard unless she wants to go validate next weekend which she still can but is once again choosing not to.

Is she asking for a bailout? Or just speculation on here? Haven’t seen it reported anywhere.

Is she asking for a bailout? Or just speculation on here? Haven’t seen it reported anywhere.

Would you not consider asking for a wildcard a bailout or just that we might not know if she formally requested one? She banked on a gold medal and that didn’t happen so she needs help to get in hence a bailout. You can call it whatever you like. I think her mentioning it in an interview is about as formal as it gets unless there’s a process I don’t know about to request one.

People are questioning the fact that she clearly chose the money from t100 over the easy validation from her own house and now she asking for a bail out.//

You and others like to belittle her goals as being just money, but if you stood back just a bit, you could see the bigger picture. She did that race yes for more money, but more importantly to position herself to win the series, which I believe is a world championship? So keep in mind when she skipped that local no competition, no real money race, she was still on the olympic track and focusing on that and the top spot in the T100 series, as well as working on a different olympic sport where she is breaking new ground.

Sorry many of you dont see that as exceptional and just continue to berate her for missing a nothing race mid season to chase much loftier goals. And I really hope it is just not her that gets that special invite, would love to see Derron and Wilde get one too.