Poll: Do you like the new forum?

Off-topic, but I have a critique of the main page as well.

The “Latest” and “News” sections seem about 90% redundant. It takes up a lot of space both on desktop and mobile to duplicate so much stuff.

The only difference in the below screenshot is that “Latest” has the 5 training mistakes article, and the News section has a report on Tallinn 70.3

Also the Coros article should have an image, but that’s a separate thing…

You refresh the page? There should be an image there now.

Still no image after refresh on both mobile and desktop for me.

Edit: Just showed up for me.

maybe it’s just me… but before, we could see what each post was in response to, whereas now, i don’t seem to be able to see such info…

So…if you click this:

Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 4.51.53 PM

It opens up what the exact post that is being replied to.

IDK in some respects it’s easier and harder to read at the same time. I think it looks cleaner overall, not as compact though and seems slower to read when skimming through a topic yet easier to see the threads.

One of the best things about ST was you could search just about any topic related to triathlon and get info. Google links all broken. Now it seems the site is starting over and the enormous database that was, and all that info is no longer.

Sig lines would be cool to add back in. Seems like a lot of users are new suddenly.

No matter what you guys were damned if you did and damned if you didn’t. The old platform was on the struggle bus to keep up and changing to the new platform is going to produce all sorts of bugs. Thankfully you’ve got a user base that will help point them out which can lead to a really good development cycle.

Will take some getting used to, as would any change of this magnitude.

3 Likes

UI designers LOVE whitespace. IME they often bias too far towards an uncluttered layout that is aesthetically pleasing, but inefficient (due to low information density). They also frequently have giant monitors on their desks, so THEY see lots of data ATF (above the fold).

Not only that but I often used to search the forum with google by typing “topic slowtwitch. All the links now from google to old posts don’t work

1 Like

It doesn’t work for me either. Very little works actually.

Seems like most, myself included, don’t know how to reply to a post so there’s no handle back to a comment that was previously made. The result is that it just reads as a bunch of serial comments without the ability to identify that comment B is tied to comment A Without that it reads as comments A, B, C. etc.

1 Like

I’m most using mobile right now since I’m traveling but when I click on a thread, it takes me to the oldest post I haven’t read. Similar to the previous forum.

Stevej, if you have anything to do with it, would you kindly restore that very functionality for PC users please?

Agreed. It’s also jarring on mobile to see the quoted post, because instead of showing a dropdown of the post, it jumps you to the quoted post.

Trainer road has the same forum type (I think?) and they have quoted posts still. Feel like that would help a lot.

Also agree with desert dude’s comments. I also have to say, there is something to be said about having basically the same format when I joined as whenever I have ever hopped back in the future. That said, the forum style was old 15 years ago, so change was probably necessary. I was just caught by surprise and think I look at the forum almost every day, but maybe I missed over an announcement.

On the comment you want to reply to hit the reply button in the bottom right of that post not the reply button at the bottom of the page.

To quote someone highlight the text then click reply on that post in the bottom right

1 Like

I did not want to rush into a decision. At first it was a bit disorienting, but I’m starting to warm to it.

I logged in with same device with same password that worked yesterday but it would not accept it.

So I asked for a password reset and when I went to reset, it said I could not change to the password I entered because that was my current password (that the system did not let me use and which initiated the reset request).

So I entered a new one and I am logged back in. I am sure this will all get resolved soon, but just posting my experience so it can be used in the debug process.

I didn’t know about this method! So far I’d just hit “Reply” and then the dialog icon at the top of the text box.

Zrzut ekranu 2024-09-5 o 11.36.30

The home page needs work. :slight_smile:

Like this?

Awesome!!

Maybe im missing it but is there a way to jump to the last post in a thread