Olympic Swimming Fans and fishes, here we go!

New WR for Smith in 100 back, so that relay has 3 WR holders on it!!!

And the mens 100, forget about it. We are going to have 4 guys faster than the #1 guy on just about any team that shows up!!! Gonna have to go under 47.2 to get into that top 2…

Really hoping Caleb pulls it off tomorrow. My daughter ran into him on Friday when he was grabbing his lunch from the delivery guy and he was very nice to her and signed her bag and took a pic. She also ran into Lilly King at Whole Foods and had a similar experience with her. Definitely solidified her as a huge fan of both and of the whole Trials…

I’m rooting for Caleb too, he just seems like such a nice and genuine guy. And hoping he has recovered from his stresses from last time around, and is just having a blast for his 2nd act. Alexy is not going to make it easy on him, but as I said before, he seems to always drop a bit each swim, and Alexy has already added from his opening record swim. And Guliano is not going quietly either, dude is on fire and could win it all…

Popovici ….46.88 this evening in Belgrade

https://youtu.be/J4DryMfqpPE?si=0HZ6N73CVV897bFT

Ryan Murphy coming off that last turn in the 200 back is just amazing.

How about that Womens 100 final!

Six guys under 48 seconds! Bummed that Dressel won’t be able to defend his gold medal though. That relay should be fun to watch.

There is going to be good value betting the Americans- Alexy specifically- to win in Paris.

Pan and Pop are obviously incredible but swimming in a field of 47s with the wash is something they’ve shown they aren’t (yet) good at.

But I can see a scenario where the us men sweep the relays but don’t win an individual event.

Ya I was hoping Caleb would get that 2nd spot, but I think he is happy to make the A relay at least. 6 guys at 47+ is just crazy. Our 6th man would make just about any other olympic team(top 2) in the world. We have to be a super heavy favorite for that 4x100 for sure, but it is still so close that anything can happen, relays are weird sometimes…

Man that 50 could go one of five different ways. I’m rooting for Caleb, and Alex next, but it could be Held and Andrew, or someone else even. So many guys under 22, it just takes everything going right to make that a mid to low 21. Too bad there is not a 4x50 relay…

Regan Smith is just an animal, hope she can put all the races together that are so close…

Did Ledecky taper much, now that is the question?? She is swimming well, but not out of her mind. Looked like she was going hard and going for it in the 1500, but 15;37 is far from her best, not even top 15 time lifetime…

New crop of mens 200 breastrokers, and 2;06+ wow… We might even get a medal there, not really expected months ago…Young guys stepping up.

200fly for men is outside chance, but gonna hard to make that podium with anything over about 1;53low. Tough event for us, but we got a youngster in there, and sometimes they just get faster every meet and challenge…

Still cannot get over 6 guys going 47+ in the 100 free final.

That 50 free final is going to be a barn burner.

And our 7th and 8th place guys went 47.90 and 48.04 in the semis.

The B 400 medley for the women will have 3 swimmers in the top 5 all time in their respective event. They could get the wr (though they probably will be instructed to have safe starts.)

And Rowdy wasnt wrong, it’s going to take a 2:07 to medal in the 200 back and the US has 6 women who can do that.

All this depth, the us is overall as goofs as it’s ever been (prior to 1980 when 70% of the 50m pools in the world were in the us). But unless they win 10 golds, the team won’t be seen for what it is.

That 50 free final is going to be a barn burner.

If they ever figure out who the 8th guy is. 8th and 9th tied in the semi-finals at 21.89, so they had a swim-off…in which the same guys tied at 21.79.

(edit)

Somehow, they picked one of the two for the final. Coin flip? Best tattoo?

apologies for lurking and being silent as I travel/race over the past couple weeks.

BUT HOT DAMN this is some fun swimming to watch and the racing is just next level. TEAM USA always rises to the occasion and this team that is coming together is looking like a super motivated group to get to Paris and really let loose.

Prob most impressed w Torri Huske in the 100free… she is in there banging with 3 girls who are easily 5 to 6inches taller than she is… I love it. She is an animal.

Really pulling for Alex Walsh to get that IM going today and tomorrow. Big fan of hers. I think she is pure class in and out of the pool.

What a week tho. SUPER fun

daved

Really pulling for Alex Walsh to get that IM going today and tomorrow. Big fan of hers. I think she is pure class in and out of the pool.

THIS!

I can’t wait until they introduce Gretchen as “Alex Walsh’s sister who has qualified for her second Olympics!” (I’m a big Gretchen Walsh fan, but still…)

If they ever figure out who the 8th guy is. 8th and 9th tied in the semi-finals at 21.89, so they had a swim-off…in which the same guys tied at 21.79. //

They had mentioned earlier in the meet that there were holding lanes 1 and 10 just in case there was a tie in a distance event(not practical to have a swim off) I really think they should have used that rule for these guys here. Two ties should have triggered that, otherwise why have those lanes just sitting there???

And anyone doing 21.79 is capable of making the team. Those times are so close, whoever gets a great swim in can be there in that 50…

If they ever figure out who the 8th guy is. 8th and 9th tied in the semi-finals at 21.89, so they had a swim-off…in which the same guys tied at 21.79. //

They had mentioned earlier in the meet that there were holding lanes 1 and 10 just in case there was a tie in a distance event(not practical to have a swim off) I really think they should have used that rule for these guys here. Two ties should have triggered that, otherwise why have those lanes just sitting there???

And anyone doing 21.79 is capable of making the team. Those times are so close, whoever gets a great swim in can be there in that 50…

So, how did they choose between the two? Two guys, two races, two identical times, one guy gets into the finals. Did they go to thousandths?

Either one bowed out or one pays the other to skip or the 1000’s come into play

Either one bowed out or one pays the other to skip or the 1000’s come into play

There was a second swim-off that doesn’t appear in the Omega Timing web site.

After the first swim-off, the two friends spoke with the media while waiting to hear when they’d swim again. They said that neither of them had ever been in a double tie before.

“He could be the best guy that I’d want to do it again with,” Kulow said.

“Can’t wait to swim again,” Chaney added when asked what his reaction was to the second tie. “This is what we do, this is why we do it. Getting to do it with Adam is even better.”

So … a second swim-off! After all the regularly scheduled events finished Thursday night, of course. And this time, there was a clear winner.

Chaney out-touched Kulow by .18 seconds and won the swim-off with a time of 21.81 — and advanced to Friday night’s final — while Kulow finished at 21.99.

Can’t tell you all how stoked I am for Dressel, getting that top spot in the 50 and going into the fly final with a solid best time too. Thought he might be a bit tight after that 50 just 30 minutes earlier, but he closed fast like usual. Maybe a bit higher turnover it appeared, probably from tired arms…

And good news all around for the US teams, favorites doing their thing with good back ups in those 2nd spots. And super stoked for Shane Cassis too, dude finally put it together for a swim he was always capable of. Now he just needs to do one of those at the games…Foster is our best shot at both IM’s for a medal, he is coming around to lifetime best form at the right moment…

The coaches are going to have a lot of things to go over for all of our relays. SO much talent, B relays could break records, at the very least qualify #1 for finals…

There was one time in the Olympics back in the 1970s where they went to the thousandth in order to break a tie because the timing system was technically capable of doing that.

There as a subsequent decision by FINA to declare ties at the hundredth of a second mark because it would be fairer given you can get some millimeter level differences in pool length in different lanes even with the highest standards of pool construction.