Olympic Swimming Fans and fishes, here we go!

So lets make this an all encompassing thread about all the countries trials and chit chat about our favorite swimmers, and those doing extraordinary things pre games…

So been following the Aussie trials and Titmus just missed her WR in the 400 by a few 1/100’s. So there is the first piece of an all time epic 400 showdown, as Summer has shown her form(400IM world record last month), and we get Ledecky coming up in a couple weeks. Imagine a couple more will pop in with sub 4 minute trial swims too, but those 3 are going to be really fun to watch.

Kaylee McKeown blasted a 2;06+ 200IM, half second off world record. I think there are probably going to be 3 to 5 ladies coming with 2;06+ times, that even is going to be nuts. Most likely someone on the US team will be left off with a 2;07+, that would be brutal…

Short and Winnington did what they needed to sprint finish the 400 final in 3;43. Wonder if that was a full taper?? Feels like sub 3;40 could be in the cards to take the win this year and finally break two records going back to 2002…Biedermann’s 3;40;07WR and Thorpe’s 3;40;08 commonwealth, set in 09 and 02 suit eras.

Stubblety-Cook missed the team in the 100 breast, bit of a shocker. Might not bode well for that 400 medley relay, although Williamson stepped up with a high 58 to take top honors. Going to be a lot of disappointment from favorites on this team, but more so on the US team for sure…

Emma McKeown doing her thing in the 100 fly with 56 high. Man I remember when that time was unheard of, and now probably take that to make the olympic final. Lots of 56’s to come for sure, maybe even a couple 55+'s…

So lets make this an all encompassing thread about all the countries trials and chit chat about our favorite swimmers, and those doing extraordinary things pre games…

So been following the Aussie trials and Titmus just missed her WR in the 400 by a few 1/100’s. So there is the first piece of an all time epic 400 showdown, as Summer has shown her form(400IM world record last month), and we get Ledecky coming up in a couple weeks. Imagine a couple more will pop in with sub 4 minute trial swims too, but those 3 are going to be really fun to watch.

Kaylee McKeown blasted a 2;06+ 200IM, half second off world record. I think there are probably going to be 3 to 5 ladies coming with 2;06+ times, that even is going to be nuts. Most likely someone on the US team will be left off with a 2;07+, that would be brutal…

Short and Winnington did what they needed to sprint finish the 400 final in 3;43. Wonder if that was a full taper?? Feels like sub 3;40 could be in the cards to take the win this year and finally break two records going back to 2002…Biedermann’s 3;40;07WR and Thorpe’s 3;40;08 commonwealth, set in 09 and 02 suit eras.

Stubblety-Cook missed the team in the 100 breast, bit of a shocker. Might not bode well for that 400 medley relay, although Williamson stepped up with a high 58 to take top honors. Going to be a lot of disappointment from favorites on this team, but more so on the US team for sure…

Emma McKeown doing her thing in the 100 fly with 56 high. Man I remember when that time was unheard of, and now probably take that to make the Olympic final. Lots of 56’s to come for sure, maybe even a couple 55+'s…

Swimming is cruel.

Emma McKeown doing her thing in the 100 fly with 56 high. Man I remember when that time was unheard of, and now probably take that to make the olympic final. Lots of 56’s to come for sure, maybe even a couple 55+'s…

Erika Fairweather from NZ has also gone sub 4 in 400 free. She beat Summer Macintosh at worlds last year…

Ya I figure we will have a good half dozen or so ladies just breaking 4 minutes going in, but they will have to drop at least 3 more seconds to be competitive. Looks to me like a 3;54 will be around the winners time, and probably 3;55/56’s to fill out the podium. But you are right in that whoever can break 4 minutes going in, has a great shot on their magic day to be there in the mix. No more old school races of Ledecky running away with the race by the 150 mark, unless we are watching the 1500 of course… (-;

fairweather is a classy freestyler… she swims great. i’d love to see her swim another PB. I also really like li bingjie who swims a bit like EF. They give off so little splash you wouldn’t even feel them shoot past you in training holding 1’10 LCMs no drama in the world.

Pretty heart breaking for Bri Throssell in the 1 fly - she just got out touched by the youngster perkins… throssell has been around the block and won plenty of hardware

Titmus missing the WR was purely down to pacing. She went out a touch hard. If she got it right, I reckon she would have beaten her WR by ~0.2 or so, because her last 25 was all that cost her.

So lets make this an all encompassing thread about all the countries trials and chit chat about our favorite swimmers

As much as I respect the swimming, I pick my favorite men from an eye candy perspective. I will need a ruling on whether my Olympic Hotties thread belongs on the main forum or the LR

So lets make this an all encompassing thread about all the countries trials and chit chat about our favorite swimmers

As much as I respect the swimming, I pick my favorite men from an eye candy perspective. I will need a ruling on whether my Olympic Hotties thread belongs on the main forum or the LR

Considering the level of swimming skill anyone at the olympics has/will have, your favorites will still end up being ridiculously great swimmers.

So, who should I be watching for at the US Trials to pull a cool upset? I personally know nothing about the names and just watch because the trials is as good or better than the olympics. You get to see a couple people put together the race of their life to qualify and see some bitter disappointment when you put out a medal contending effort only to miss even going to the olympics. Amazing television!

So maybe rooting for Caleb Dressel???

I do not think the Dr. needs help identifying who she is going to root for. Shoot out some dark horse names I should be watching for in the US Swim Trials. Do you have an up and comer or two you think might just pull off a bit of an upset to make the team?

oh, he’s definitely on the list

Wow! Titmus! That’s quite a comeback.

A big shout out to my friend from Pensacola in the 200m fly Logan Robinson. At 18 years old he is a dark horse but has the right mindset and coaching to perhaps pull off a great time in Indy.

Still waiting on free legs and men’s fly leg, but so far it seems like both Aussie medley relays are in trouble. Men will likely be a good 1.5+ seconds behind at the halfway point with a particular weakness on back. May be entirely out of medal contention.

Women will be super strong on back and free, but a major weakness on breast is only bearable if their fly is top notch. 56 high will not cut it. I guess they’re looking at a bronze at best.

Men’s 800 free relay not looking promising. I’m sure the women will be favorites in both the 400 and 800 free relays - hopeful the Americans can at least make it close in those two.

USA Swimming Olympic Trials >>>> Olympics swimming - all the storylines coming in, the drama, seeing swimmers come out of nowhere etc

There are always unpredictable qualifiers, swimmers barely on the radar who have the meet of their life to qualify. I can come up with outside shots for every event but true shockers are much harder to predict.

Thomas Heilman is just 16 but is the top seed in the 200 fly. He’s broken Phelps’ records and been a real phenom, and even tho he’s seeded 1st it would still be a remarkable story if he made the team. He also has a strong chance in the 100 fly.

Gretchen Walsh is an interesting story. Younger sister of Olympian Alex Walsh and she failed to make the team in 2021 but has been truly incredible the last year or two, particularly in the NCAA where she’s rewritten the record book. If she and Alex both have great Trials, be prepared for lots of Walsh sister content from NBC this summer.

Leah Shackley is a senior in high school who drives an hour each way to swim in a YMCA pool by herself every day, in rural Western PA. She has an outside chance in the backstrokes and 100 fly, but those events are so so competitive.

Rylee Erisman is just 15 but has an outside chance to make the 400 free relay (top 6 in the 100 free) but that is another crazy competitive event.

A couple veterans with possible redemption stories include Simone Manuel and Ryan Held. Simone is the best American woman sprinter of the last 8-10 years but had a rough OT in 2021 due to Overtraining syndrome. She’s made a big comeback though and will be right in the mix in the 50/100/200 frees. Ryan Held made the team in 2016, then in 2021 finished 6th in the 100 free which typically makes the team, but he was left off due to roster limits. His best chance is again the 100 free but is also a contender in the 50 free.

Caeleb Dressel has his own redemption story coming into OT of course - he is certainly not a lock to make the team after all he’s been through the last couple years.

Gretchen Walsh is an interesting story. Younger sister of Olympian Alex Walsh and she failed to make the team in 2021 but has been truly incredible the last year or two, particularly in the NCAA where she’s rewritten the record book. If she and Alex both have great Trials, be prepared for lots of Walsh sister content from NBC this summer.

I will definitely be cheering for the Walsh sisters as they are from Nashville and grew up swimming at the pool I swim in. And, there are three other kids who have qualified.

oh, he’s definitely on the list

Florent Manaudou probably too :slight_smile:

for a country that has 47 and 341 1 and 4 freestylers, haven’t quite made the happy medium at the 200 free. the winner of the 2 free at aus trials was a 145 and 146 low was second. kind of doesn’t make sense.

Holy cow…Titmus & O’Callaghan both well under the 200 free WR.

Holy cow…Titmus & O’Callaghan both well under the 200 free WR.

Amazing race!