Maybe we are seeing a change on School Shooters, and maybe this one will have an impact

Do you consider a trigger lock to be very, very, very well secured?

Would need more details. What event are you securing it from? There are adults in the house and a little kid running around, that would probably be considered secure from the kid getting it and shooting someone or themselves. So in that case the crime doesn’t happen and we don’t even go to court to decide if it was very very well secured.

If you left it on the table, and your house was robbed the they took the gun cut off the lock and killed someone, no if I am on the jury you did not have your weapon very well secured.

In the oxford shooting case, a simple gun lock (without the kid having the key) would have been enough to prevent the incident, there were other guns in the house that were locked, he left those, and actually they had been there for a while, but he had his parents buy him this gun, and since it was his it was not locked. We can only assume if they left the other guns unlocked he might have just used those sooner.

But the simplicity of this crime, is you get to have your day in court and let a jury decide if what you did was enough to secure your weapon.

That is a risk you’d have to weigh, if your kid threatened to shot up the school your risk is probably lowered by keeping it locked.

Is your weapon not secure on your person?

Do you?

A gun owners level of risk is virtually always lowered by keeping their guns locked up. Self defense gun advocates are bad at risk assessment.

It would be great if someone in law enforcement would say these things…oh wait.

Yeah if you look at the data, gun owners are more likely to be involved in gun violence

This study puts it at 4.46x or 5.35x more likely depending on scenario.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2759797/

This study of impact of a gun in the home puts you 1.41x more likely to be killed. (2.72x for women specifically)

This study which is a bit less controlled puts it at 2.7x

Hard to find information about the link between having a gun in the home and being more protected.

Edit: adding meta analysis of 16 studies which concludes a 2x(CI, 1.56 to 3.02) likelihood. The accessibility of firearms and risk for suicide and homicide victimization among household members: a systematic review and meta-analysis - PubMed

If someone breaks into our house today and threatens us, they will have four arms pointed at them immediately.

Our arms are ready to go.

I prefer to live in a community, where I don’t have to worry about someone breaking into my house while I am home. Actually when we are home they would not need to break in, as there is at least one door open.

But hey we all make choices.

Oh and why would someone be scared if you pointed both your arms at them? I mean are your arms that scary? (LOL).

Why do you live in such a shitty neighborhood?

How many fingers will you point, or just your arms?

1 Like

Would you say that those individuals who are worried about gun violence when they step out of their house are also bad at risk assessment?

Once you’re pointing your arms at them, which I assume means that your arms are in the air, will you be waving them like you just don’t care?

Is there any guarantee that any community is 100% safe from break ins, muggings, other attacks etc? I think thats the issue that makes this discussion perpetually impossible. You said you prefer to live in a community where you don’t have to worry about “X.” The only way thats possible is it X doesnt exist or if there is a very strong guarantee it wont happen. Unfortunately in a country with almost 4MM square miles there are bad areas where bad people will od bad things and people may be concerned.

Just like “Id prefer there be no gun violence” means that we would have to magically make guns disappear. Not going to happen and we need to stop having this discussion while leaving out the reality that X does exist and its near impossible to escape it now.

A dance off??

dance fight

1 Like

I live in a relatively safe area. My town is in the teens with violent crime per 10k residents. However I’m surrounded by two of the worst towns with up to 112 per 10k. A few years back a family was burned alive (children tortured in front of their parents) and this happened less than a mile from my house. Couple months ago a woman was kidnapped at knife point with her two children. Also this year a teenage girl was kidnapped from her house.

I’m not using these as foolproof justifications for guns. But I do live in a generally safe neighborhood but am reminded every few months that horror is possible. Whether its probable or not is a different story. Which brings me back to my comment about a cheap insurance policy. The risk vs reward calculation is what differers for all of us.

1 Like

I will paraphrase my family member who carried a firearm for work and did things involving blackhawk helicopters

“Sprint a mile all out. Stop. Immediately draw a bead on your target and shoot. You will miss because that approximates the adrenaline running through your body in a life or death confrontation. There’s a reason we train and shoot as much as we do.”

1 Like