Maybe we are seeing a change on School Shooters, and maybe this one will have an impact

should prosecution carry to a relative, who loosely stored a gun?

Neither of my gun safes have a key. Where do you get that “all” of them do?

IT SHOULD APPLY TO ALL GUN OWNERS… In my world, a gun you purchased and have not sold, is your responsibility to secure it at a high level. Your gun is used in a Murder or attempted murder, you are going to court, to defend how well you secured it, how that security failed due to extra ordinary actions taken by someone else. Yes if your house is robbed and your gun that was in the draw is stollen and used in a murder, you should face jail time.

You may have a right to bare arms, but everyone else has a right to expect you will secure those arms, VERY VERY well.

1 Like

Since this kid and the oxford shooter both turned themselves in, and it appears both may have been their attempt at crying for help.

So many thoughts here I can not keep them straight.

1. Gun owner responsibility needs to be brought up several levels in this country and can without infringing on 2A.

2. Mental Health needs to be addressed better. Maybe someone will get a chance to talk with these 2 kids to find out, why they thought killing others was the way to get the help they needed? How do we do better at giving these kids other options.

Why this case might be successful and the Michigan case was is not due to guns or gun restrictions. it was due to obvious warning signs which the parent(s) willfully ignored. If the kid showed up to the school with a machete and hacked a few students, the parents would have also been tried.

Not properly securing a gun was what got the parent charged in the case of the kindergartener in Virginia.

If an arm is secured very, very well, how can the owner of it use it quickly in the case of an emergency?

This is exactly what I was saying to my wife. Once you see the idiots giving these kids guns having consequences, there might actually be some considerations.

I’m not holding my breath, but one can hope.

The key is storage when not in immediate control. If, when a homeowner is home, they want to unlock storage, great… Even sleep with the shotgun under the bed, etc, then fine.

If a weapon is not under immediate (or close to immediate) control, it should be secured.

This isn’t something new and crazy. It’d standard law enforcment and military training to properly secure and store weapons. It typically doesn’t interfere with their ability to use weapons in an emergency. Any well-regulated militia should use best practices in weapon storage.

You don’t need to make this seem more complicated than it is.

I’m not sure that’s a persuasive argument. We tend to keep nuclear weapons pretty secure, but have processes in place to be able to use them in an emergency. It’s about finding the balance between being able to access when needed, and making sure people who aren’t supposed to access are actually prevented from doing so. Given the frequency with which some of these incidents (school shootings, children accidentally shooting themselves, etc.) can be traced to children getting hold of firearms in their own homes, plenty of people should be working more on the “preventing access” side of that equation.

Interesting issue. I would think the average gun owner is somehow thinking the gun could be used to stop a home invader. If that is the primary purpose I would think loaded and at the bedside is where you would want it. Hearing a home entry, going to the gunsafe, doing the combination, loading up and then attempting self defense might be compromised.
When I had a handgun (44 magnum) it was loaded with one empty under the hammer, 2 shells with skeet shot and three hollowpoints next to my bed. I was poor and lived in a sketchy neighborhood. I was single and when friends came over the gun was hidden in a tall closet. Never had to “show it” but I did pull it out a couple times. I was worried that big o gun would go thru the walls if I missed, so the first two loads were “soft”.
If you have kids around it is complicated. Not too sure what I would do. But I wouldn’t give my damn kid an AR as a present.

Not my problem, and not a right granted in the US constitution.

But there are many ways. Especially if you secure it very, very, very well when your not home, and only very, very well when you are, or say carry it on your body when your at home.

The Supreme Court’s Heller decision basically said…

The handgun ban and the trigger-lock requirement (as applied to self-defense) violate the Second Amendment. The District’s total ban on handgun possession in the home amounts to a prohibition on an entire class of “arms” that Americans overwhelmingly choose for the lawful purpose of self-defense. Under any of the standards of scrutiny the Court has applied to enumerated constitutional rights, this prohibition—in the place where the importance of the lawful defense of self, family, and property is most acute—would fail constitutional muster. Similarly, the requirement that any lawful firearm in the home be disassembled or bound by a trigger lock makes it impossible for citizens to use arms for the core lawful purpose of self-defense and is hence unconstitutional.

Good point. I was thinking a lot of the newer biometric safes have a key as a backup. And if they’re not biometric or require a code then they are a key by default.

Our fixed safe in the garage is combination which has no key.

That was an uninformed comment on my part so thanks for bringing that up.

Agree with almost everything. I’m actually not opposed to infringement upon the 2A. We have other rights that are infringed upon in certain instances. Why should the 2A be any different?

Show me where I said Disassembled or trigger lock. I simply said very secure. Do you disagree, do you think its okay to leave a gun on a table where the 2 yr old can get it? Do you think its responsible gun ownership, to leave a gun in a desk where your teenage son knows where it is? Do you think a gun owner has no responsibility to secure their weapon?

Has the Courts actually said its a violation of 2A to require the gun to be locked when the owner of the gun is not at home?

Do you consider a trigger lock to be very, very, very well secured?

Would need more details. What event are you securing it from? There are adults in the house and a little kid running around, that would probably be considered secure from the kid getting it and shooting someone or themselves. So in that case the crime doesn’t happen and we don’t even go to court to decide if it was very very well secured.

If you left it on the table, and your house was robbed the they took the gun cut off the lock and killed someone, no if I am on the jury you did not have your weapon very well secured.

In the oxford shooting case, a simple gun lock (without the kid having the key) would have been enough to prevent the incident, there were other guns in the house that were locked, he left those, and actually they had been there for a while, but he had his parents buy him this gun, and since it was his it was not locked. We can only assume if they left the other guns unlocked he might have just used those sooner.

But the simplicity of this crime, is you get to have your day in court and let a jury decide if what you did was enough to secure your weapon.

That is a risk you’d have to weigh, if your kid threatened to shot up the school your risk is probably lowered by keeping it locked.

Is your weapon not secure on your person?

Do you?