JD Vance

It seemed like this all began with him bombing at some talk at the high school in his home town. Trump won’t stick with him if his “ratings” are shit.

i listened to most of it – he didn’t bomb (even the Diet Mountain Dew thing), the crowd was all in – but there were some weird stories told as evidence of his MAGA cred

one about his ‘mamaw’ (gran who raised him) and how tough she was. The evidence: the 19 (!) loaded pistols found around her house after she passed. I don’t know where you draw the line with loaded pistols but one for every room seems ample

another story: some little neighbor girl was in an abusive home and was picked up by Mamaw and riding around in the car. JD (a kid then) asked about it and Mamaw said “shut your mouth” or something to that effect.

then she dropped the kid off back home. This was evidence of her good heartedness.

they’re all messy human stories, fine, but i was saying wait what? a lot

Has trump’s synopsis of JD vance’s book been posted here?

I havnt read the book, but the book seems to be about the struggles of Appalachia and goes into part of the struggle is based off lack of worth ethic and personal responsibility of the people, and how these people would vote for trump.

Trump seems to think the book is about how workers in the area were wronged - essentially fueling the lack of personal responsibility discussed in teh book.

Trump seems to think the book is about how workers in the area were wronged - essentially fueling the lack of personal responsibility discussed in teh book.

Doesn’t that just about sum up Trump’s whole MO with the MAGAs. Everyone is a victim, especially him. Maybe that’s why these folks relate to him so well. It’s not their fault, it’s the illegal immigrants, the liberals, the elites, etc.

I’ve seen three headlines in the past two days about how soon Trump will dump this guy. It really will be hillarious if he announces that he’s to valuable in the Senate and has to bow out as VP candidate.

I am curious, what are the reasons given that Trump might dump him? Seems like the two of them are a good fit.

I always thought the idea behind chosing a VP was to garner votes from a demographic you yourself can’t get. In this case, I would think they are both getting the same votes from the whacko tree.

Yeah last time Pence made a lot of sense to sure up the religious vote.

With Donald Trump, I think the calculus is different. The VP can’t upstage him, must be in a position where he is beholden to Trump (I.e. Trump has leverage), and must be acceptable to the MAGA faithful. I’m not sure typical campaign strategies are necessarily applicable to Donald Trump’s decision making processes.

Trying to find the best way to put this.

Trump gets off on making people crawl. See the meal with Mitt Romney. Vance is the epitome of someone who will crawl and do tricks for a treat. He called Trump Hitler but now he will grovel for a scrap. I think for Trump that is a very powerful drug. But I think that wears off quickly and he needs new people to crawl.

So he might keep Vance around, but he will need a supply of side grovelers.

Be a real shame if this went viral.

https://youtu.be/vYILYILPrXs

I read it ages ago when it first came out. Like most of the rest of the world thought it was fair, insightful, and tough minded about the challenges and limitations in and around this community.

It didn’t boil down neatly to all anyone’s fault. instead a complex mix of structural failure, substances, and lack of options/education. It sounded from the book like the military broke him out, as it does for many.

am sure he had a talented ghostwriter but a real person did shine through despite that. Which is why JD 2.0 is so hard to buy.

I read it ages ago when it first came out. Like most of the rest of the world thought it was fair, insightful, and tough minded about the challenges and limitations in and around this community.

It didn’t boil down neatly to all anyone’s fault. instead a complex mix of structural failure, substances, and lack of options/education. It sounded from the book like the military broke him out, as it does for many.

am sure he had a talented ghostwriter but a real person did shine through despite that. Which is why JD 2.0 is so hard to buy.

Yeah thats pretty what I saw from the book. It seemed like it was kinda like critical race theory but for Appalachia.

BUT it doesnt seem to be like anything trump is about (or what trump says the book is about - “JD vance wrote a book, that is strong for the workers”)

It’s not just women. He believes that anyone without children should have less voting rights because they have less of a stake in the future of the country. I guess that makes me a 2nd class citizen.

What does that even mean? How do you have less voting rights? As in, they shouldn’t be allowed to vote?

Higher taxes on non-breeders as well: Vance argued for higher tax rate on childless Americans in 2021 interview

It’s basically just the Child Tax Credit which is entirely reasonable.

Why do people think it’s ok to basically just lie about opposing candidates?

Wow, so you are claiming Vance, who had children at the time, didn’t know what the Child Tax credit was?

It’s not just women. He believes that anyone without children should have less voting rights because they have less of a stake in the future of the country. I guess that makes me a 2nd class citizen.

What does that even mean? How do you have less voting rights? As in, they shouldn’t be allowed to vote?

Higher taxes on non-breeders as well: Vance argued for higher tax rate on childless Americans in 2021 interview

Wow, so you are claiming Vance, who had children at the time, didn’t know what the Child Tax credit was?

No, I’m not saying that. How would you even come to that conclusion?

Ah, wait, tribal shit slinging is your goal. Forgot. My mistake.

Carry on.

Yeah I think what he is going for is trying to develop policy ideas that promote people having kids, which is a fine and normal policy objective to have given our decreasing birth rate, but the way he speaks about it and goes about trying to implement that policy goal is very poor.

Both parties essentially want more people to have children because they listen to the economists and we could be in for a major shock if we drop below replacement levels for a few generations (What some european and asian countries are facing down now.) Dems want to make it easier for parents to keep living their lives while raising children (i.e. child tax credit, universal pre-k, daycare funding, etc.) while Reps seem to want to force as many children to be born without the extra govt help that people are saying they need (i.e. abortion and contraception bans.) To be fair to JD, in presenting this policy and the voting policy idea its more carrot than stick in getting americans to bare more children, but again, the way he talks about it puts me off.

How is taking away vote power from someone not a “stick”? It’s a “stick” to not have convicted felons vote in many states. How are super tight abortion restrictions and contraception restrictions not a “stick”?

You’re literally taking away something in both cases (ignoring whether you believe or not what’s being taken should have been there to begin with).

In the other case you’re giving something.

It’s totally a stick. Evangelical conservatives have a “stick” mentality with the hyper focus on sin and punishment. It’s no different.

If you believe in people’s rights one way or another, it’s incentives to get people to have kids. Even commie authoritarian states seem to understand the “stick vs carrot” idea on decreasing populations and boosting birth rate better than this comes across.

No, I’m not saying that. How would you even come to that conclusion?

Ah, wait, tribal shit slinging is your goal. Forgot. My mistake.

Carry on.

Are you saying he wanted to change the tax code to what he knew already exists?

You are right, it is and it seems reasonable position.

I wonder why Charlie Kirk took that episode down? Does he not want people to know that Vance might have some reasonable positions?

Are you saying he wanted to change the tax code to what he knew already exists?

Did he state that he wanted to change the tax code? Or was he making comments in support of those with children paying lower taxes (such as a Child Tax Credit), presumably to account for the significant expense associated with raising those children?

IMO, he was doing the latter.

I find your take on the book interesting. I read parts of it years ago, while on vacation at a relative’s house. I grew up in that area and my take was completely different; the book struck me as false and contrived, more a work of fiction than anything else. Admittedly I didn’t read the whole thing and it was years ago.

as an outsider to that world, i bought it hook line and sinker. Probably says more about me than the book.

just heard a juicy one – apparently the couch story is indeed in the first edition, first printing of the book but got removed in later printings. The internet will surely cough up the truth soon enough.

Does anyone understand Vance’s weird hang up with women who don’t have children?

Might have something to do with the Great Replacement theory.

as an outsider to that world, i bought it hook line and sinker. Probably says more about me than the book.

just heard a juicy one – apparently the couch story is indeed in the first edition, first printing of the book but got removed in later printings. The internet will surely cough up the truth soon enough.

wait there may be some truth to the couch story?

I personally dont see it as even that big of a deal. I mean I wouldnt write about it in a book or tell people about it, but thats just me.

wait **there may be some truth to the couch story? **

I personally dont see it as even that big of a deal. I mean I wouldnt write about it in a book or tell people about it, but thats just me.

If it is true, and I don’t think it is, it may explain his hatred of cats.

GTXsihzaUAAOFT_.jpg

wait **there may be some truth to the couch story? **

If it is true, and I don’t think it is, it may explain his hatred of cats.

But like we all did some pretty strange things from 13-18ish. I would never write them down in a book.

wait there may be some truth to the couch story?

My understanding is that the couch was mission style, and definitely not a pull out.

Come on peeps. Where do you think the term Love Seat came from??