JD Vance

Peter Thiel is his biggest backer, who is gay. It always seems weird to me that anyone who is gay would support the anti-gay politicians, but here we are.

I think these guys are probably mostly only anti-gay to score points with their political base and in their personal life probably don’t even have an issue with it. Not terribly different than the faux social conservatism of the Russian elites.

I’ve seen three headlines in the past two days about how soon Trump will dump this guy. It really will be hillarious if he announces that he’s to valuable in the Senate and has to bow out as VP candidate.

I’ve seen three headlines in the past two days about how soon Trump will dump this guy. It really will be hillarious if he announces that he’s to valuable in the Senate and has to bow out as VP candidate.

I am curious, what are the reasons given that Trump might dump him? Seems like the two of them are a good fit.

I am curious, what are the reasons given that Trump might dump him? Seems like the two of them are a good fit.

I didn’t read the articles. I just think it’s funny that the clock is already running on how long this guy lasts.

It seemed like this all began with him bombing at some talk at the high school in his home town. Trump won’t stick with him if his “ratings” are shit.

I always thought the idea behind chosing a VP was to garner votes from a demographic you yourself can’t get. In this case, I would think they are both getting the same votes from the whacko tree.

I always thought the idea behind chosing a VP was to garner votes from a demographic you yourself can’t get. In this case, I would think they are both getting the same votes from the whacko tree.

Yeah last time Pence made a lot of sense to sure up the religious vote.

With Donald Trump, I think the calculus is different. The VP can’t upstage him, must be in a position where he is beholden to Trump (I.e. Trump has leverage), and must be acceptable to the MAGA faithful. I’m not sure typical campaign strategies are necessarily applicable to Donald Trump’s decision making processes.

It’s not just women. He believes that anyone without children should have less voting rights because they have less of a stake in the future of the country. I guess that makes me a 2nd class citizen.

Vance is making the argument that George Washington should have had less of a say in the running of the country. Which is absolutely wild.

It totally forgot he is an adult convert to Catholicism. So he thinks the church should be led by someone without children?

Once again, being an adult convert to Catholicism is a big red flag.

Also that Jesus guy never had any children. Guess nobody should listen to him.

According to Vance… yeah.

With Donald Trump, I think the calculus is different. The VP can’t upstage him, must be in a position where he is beholden to Trump (I.e. Trump has leverage), and must be acceptable to the MAGA faithful. I’m not sure typical campaign strategies are necessarily applicable to Donald Trump’s decision making processes.

True but the main argument I keep reading for Trump to dump Vance is that he doesn’t pull in any voters that Trump didn’t already have.

What will Trump do? That’s anyone’s guess. His brain is an addled mess.

https://youtu.be/3TVgL1sjzvc

https://youtu.be/3TVgL1sjzvc

That was pretty good.

It’s not just women. He believes that anyone without children should have less voting rights because they have less of a stake in the future of the country. I guess that makes me a 2nd class citizen.

What does that even mean? How do you have less voting rights? As in, they shouldn’t be allowed to vote?

Higher taxes on non-breeders as well: Vance argued for higher tax rate on childless Americans in 2021 interview

What does that even mean? How do you have less voting rights? As in, they shouldn’t be allowed to vote?

Higher taxes on non-breeders as well: Vance argued for higher tax rate on childless Americans in 2021 interview

It’s basically just the Child Tax Credit which is entirely reasonable.

Why do people think it’s ok to basically just lie about opposing candidates?

So he’s for welfare?

Yeah I think what he is going for is trying to develop policy ideas that promote people having kids, which is a fine and normal policy objective to have given our decreasing birth rate, but the way he speaks about it and goes about trying to implement that policy goal is very poor.

Both parties essentially want more people to have children because they listen to the economists and we could be in for a major shock if we drop below replacement levels for a few generations (What some european and asian countries are facing down now.) Dems want to make it easier for parents to keep living their lives while raising children (i.e. child tax credit, universal pre-k, daycare funding, etc.) while Reps seem to want to force as many children to be born without the extra govt help that people are saying they need (i.e. abortion and contraception bans.) To be fair to JD, in presenting this policy and the voting policy idea its more carrot than stick in getting americans to bare more children, but again, the way he talks about it puts me off.

So he’s for welfare?

Ooooh bait!

Try harder.

Does anyone understand Vance’s weird hang up with women who don’t have children?

No idea. Maybe it is an extension of his Catholic identity. I think he is a poor representative of Catholics.

He issues these strawman ideas that resemble Catholic thought

Peter Thiel is his biggest backer, who is gay. It always seems weird to me that anyone who is gay would support the anti-gay politicians, but here we are.

And Grindr crashed at the RNC.

Are you sensing a theme?

Trying to find the best way to put this.

Trump gets off on making people crawl. See the meal with Mitt Romney. Vance is the epitome of someone who will crawl and do tricks for a treat. He called Trump Hitler but now he will grovel for a scrap. I think for Trump that is a very powerful drug. But I think that wears off quickly and he needs new people to crawl.

So he might keep Vance around, but he will need a supply of side grovelers.