HOOOO-LEEEE SH!T. Trump is DONE

George Conway via twitter:

I wish to personally express my sincerest gratitude to whomever it is on the Trump campaign who convinced Trump it was a good idea to have him appear before the @NABJ. Whoever you are, you are a true patriot, and your country is in your debt.

Or he thought it was the National Association of Business Journalists

It was a very deliberate move. It has nothing to do with courting black voters, it is about rallying the deplorable base. They love that he is “brave” to go into the “lion’s den” and show those “uppity” black journalists who is boss. It feeds their victim narrative; nobody treats him fairly blah, blah.

A few clips from today. Indeed, a disaster…

https://youtu.be/yao0bboq-pY?si=rzgw3e0-Ri56RoTh

Second order stupid effects of today’s debacle, Trump Attorney Alina Habba at tonight’s rally:

“Unlike you Kamala, I know who my roots are and where I come.”

Still pronouncing it Ka-MAH-la, intentionally.

https://x.com/...VXZiCUm1aguM6ABLo7hA

That was the first time I heard someone pronounce it like “Camel-la.”

Harris isnt really black that she is Indian WHO BECAME BLACK.

How exactly does this happen?

He may be suggesting that she identified primarily by her Indian ethnicity through her mom, until it became politically expedient for her to identify more as a black woman, and that at some point she started presenting herself more in that light.

(not endorsing this line of thought, just trying to frame it in terms that might make sense)

He isn’t that thoughtful. And unless he knew her when she was 12 it doesn’t work. Having gone to an HBCU for undergrad. That change would have had to happen awfully early.

Sure, but it’s exactly the kind of thing he might have been told by an adviser, or overheard listening to a podcast, or saw in a meme on social media, and then it just partially stuck in his head and now he repeats it.

Or. It is the kind of thing an old racist says

Based on past performance I know where I am placing my bets.

Stop putting things through the magic decoder and finding rationalizations for bad behavior. I know you would never say something like that. Or that people without kids are deranged, sociopathic psychopaths. But then you aren’t a complete shit. Unfortunately, some people are.

FFS, I’m not rationalizing any fucking thing. I guess we’re at the point where we’re not allowed to try to figure out what the other side meant by their words anymore.

FFS, you don’t have to give reasons that we know aren’t the reasons. There is no secret reasons. They are right there in the open.

ETA -you are giving reasons someone reasonable might do this. They have told you who they are. Believe them. I’m not attacking you. I’m saying you are giving them conceivable explanations that I can’t see any possible way are the actual reasons. For them. We have seen them in action.

Re: your last sentence…The list is long and not difficult to articulate. I shan’t make the attempt because a) I’ve got more useful things to do, and b) I fear the bulk of my fellow LR denzians should suffer the vapors (not that the LR is left leaning or anything).

personally, i would find this a worthwhile investigation. you are a californian are you not? i ask for this reason: during the last 2 cycles i voted R for my california state senator, and i voted D during the last 2 cycles for my federal options. your point above bears in this, because I see Ds in california differently than i see Ds in washington, because every D i vote for in my district is a swing district D and it’s the same for president.

so, setting aside all the campaign horseshit i see real concerns with the Ds in calif and the very last thing i want is a supermajority here. but i don’t see that in washington. i would probably vote for an R if my other option was, say, jayapal, or ilhan omar, unless the R was a MAGA (and of course that’s highly likely).

the world looked very different in 2019 and 2020 than it does today, if you’re kamala harris. her problem in 2020 was not that she was a liberal. it’s that she was a centrist trying on some liberal pantsuits and she looked about as comfortable doing that as trump did today speaking to black journos.

pardon my droning on. my point is, you took issue with this: “anyone who thinks the d party has gone too far left typically have difficulty articulating why they think that.” the fact that you didn’t articulate reasons kind of validates the point of the person making that statement, does it not? i would like to see someone like you who appears - if i could venture a guess - a non-MAGA conservative to place pen to paper and on the hyper-leftiness of the ruling cabal of Ds on the national level. (if you want to complain about california’s Ds on the state level, i’ll probably be right there with you.)
Well articulated commentary, especially the differences between Ds in CA and nationally (in general). Dang, we agree on a lot!
I was just (somewhat randomly) thinking about the Respite worker for our disabled daughter; she’s busting her butt working 3 jobs to repay her student loans because, she knowingly took them out. I haven’t asked her, but I’d feel a bit peeved at the various forgiveness programs. Likewise if I paid to attend a trade school because I couldn’t afford college.
VP Harris I would guess would have to defend those actions, which depending on the audience could be easy, or impossible.

as to those forgiveness programs, yes, i paid my own way through college so they should as well. but i would bring up this point: when i graduated college in 1980 my school loans totaled a whopping $4,400. i look at college today as i look at housing today: who the fudge can afford it?! at some point this system becomes unbearable and the point of govt - among other things - is according to me: to smooth the boom/bust wave. to lessen the amplitudes of those boom/bust waves. that’s the point of the federal reserve but it’s not only the fed’s job. if the SEC and congress had done its job we wouldn’t have had the 2007/8 meltdown. this is where govts do good work: making sure classes of citizens (retail investors, for example) are not preyed on by fraudulent investment banks, rating agencies and the like, causing us to make and lose fortunes.

there are some industries i consider strategic. aerospace. weapons. microchips. precious metals. but also food. and also higher education. i don’t feel we can let our network of colleges and universities fail. but i also consider those just entering the workforce “strategic industries.” i don’t think we can let 20- and 30-somethings fail. it would take a smarter person than i to bridge that, but i don’t think i can just blame this on biden’s college debt forgiveness program (which is, as i understand it, a partial forgiveness from federal loans). as to biden’s plan i quote jon snow in game of thrones: “it’s a bad plan. what’s your plan?”

Fake is an unhelpful term in this context. It’s like saying the cadence of a preacher is fake. It’s not how they talk at the dinner table, but it’s clearly an established way of communicating in some contexts, and doing so in that context isn’t fakery—unlike with Iggy Azalea, who adopted the affect to sound inner city. If you or I recorded a reggae album and affected a Kingston accent, that’d be fake. If you or I walked up to a pulpit not being preachers and did our best MLK Jr impersonation, that’d be fake. But a preacher talking in the cadence of a preacher, not fake. Kamala speaking to other black Americans in that manner, not fake.

Being part of the culture is the key to authenticity. Kamala is, Azalea was not. Hillary was not.

Stretching the analogy there… It’s fake and it’s cringe. I know people realise politicians are fake, but accepting and defending them talking differently to you is really taking the cake. Be genuine, be consistent, be you… Crazy concept. The bar has been set low.

What part is the objectionable fake accent part? I have not seen all of it, but quite a few highlights. So we can criticize her correctly, so we have a clip or timestamp that illustrates the fake accent?

I’m not going to just accept it happened. I needs the pics.

Oddly (not), Trump was perfectly capable of (sometimes) correctly pronouncing Harris’ name before the NABJ

She delivered some lines with sass and black people cheered. Let’s just be honest about what we’re talking about here. It makes some white people uncomfortable.

Fake is an unhelpful term in this context. It’s like saying the cadence of a preacher is fake. It’s not how they talk at the dinner table, but it’s clearly an established way of communicating in some contexts, and doing so in that context isn’t fakery—unlike with Iggy Azalea, who adopted the affect to sound inner city. If you or I recorded a reggae album and affected a Kingston accent, that’d be fake. If you or I walked up to a pulpit not being preachers and did our best MLK Jr impersonation, that’d be fake. But a preacher talking in the cadence of a preacher, not fake. Kamala speaking to other black Americans in that manner, not fake.

Being part of the culture is the key to authenticity. Kamala is, Azalea was not. Hillary was not.

Stretching the analogy there… It’s fake and it’s cringe. I know people realise politicians are fake, but accepting and defending them talking differently to you is really taking the cake. Be genuine, be consistent, be you… Crazy concept. The bar has been set low.

What part is the objectionable fake accent part? I have not seen all of it, but quite a few highlights. So we can criticize her correctly, so we have a clip or timestamp that illustrates the fake accent?

To save lastlap time here is the full speech. I am not hearing this alleged fake black accent that he claims to have heard. She sounds just like she always sounds.

Vice President Kamala Harris holds campaign rally in Atlanta | Full speech (youtube.com)

The leader of the GOP spewed racist gibberish and lies to a room full of journalists today and this triggers the usual folks launch a deflection campaign. Bizarre.

To save lastlap time here is the full speech. I am not hearing this alleged fake black accent that he claims to have heard. **She sounds just like she always sounds. **

Vice President Kamala Harris holds campaign rally in Atlanta | Full speech (youtube.com)

The leader of the GOP spewed racist gibberish and lies to a room full of journalists today and this triggers the usual folks launch a deflection campaign. Bizarre.

This is what I heard in the clips. But I am willing to be educated.

Going well so far
Vance “Obviously she is not white, but I love her”

Trump: “Is she Indian or is she Black?”

If this is outreach to Black supporters…

To save lastlap time here is the full speech. I am not hearing this alleged fake black accent that he claims to have heard. She sounds just like she always sounds.

You are far to quick to jump at easy knee-jerk labels such a racist as a gotchya.

I never said KH put on a black accent. I first responded to someone suggesting there was no such thing as a black accent. Then when people argued that it was fine for KH to put on a black accent I simply responded that I wanted people to be genuine and be themselves… But carry on…

You are far to quick to jump at easy knee-jerk labels such a racist as a gotchya.

I never said KH put on a black accent.** I first responded to someone suggesting there was no such thing as a black accent.** Then when people argued that it was fine for KH to put on a black accent I simply responded that I wanted people to be genuine and be themselves… But carry on…

There’s the problem. You got caught in a cross thread joke to kick off. See the Did Harris Say That? thread.

I wanted people to be genuine and be themselves…

Do you act/speak/whatever the exact same way in every aspect of your life?

I wanted people to be genuine and be themselves…

Do you act/speak/whatever the exact same way in every aspect of your life?

Well generally yes, baring the use of profanity. I definitely don’t put on any accents.

But it’s all a moot point, KH didn’t put on a black accent, and if she did everyone is saying it’s OK so mehh…

And let’s be honest here, she will play to her black heritage with black voters and Indian heritage to Indian voters etc…

She delivered some lines with sass and black people cheered. Let’s just be honest about what we’re talking about here. It makes some white people uncomfortable.

https://youtu.be/RrZlWw8Di10?si=EYcDr900I-6CdRNt

Harris isnt really black that she is Indian WHO BECAME BLACK.

How exactly does this happen?

He may be suggesting that she identified primarily by her Indian ethnicity through her mom, until it became politically expedient for her to identify more as a black woman, and that at some point she started presenting herself more in that light.

(not endorsing this line of thought, just trying to frame it in terms that might make sense)

He isn’t that thoughtful. And unless he knew her when she was 12 it doesn’t work. Having gone to an HBCU for undergrad. That change would have had to happen awfully early.

Sure, but it’s exactly the kind of thing he might have been told by an adviser, or overheard listening to a podcast, or saw in a meme on social media, and then it just partially stuck in his head and now he repeats it.

Or. It is the kind of thing an old racist says

Based on past performance I know where I am placing my bets.

Stop putting things through the magic decoder and finding rationalizations for bad behavior. I know you would never say something like that. Or that people without kids are deranged, sociopathic psychopaths. But then you aren’t a complete shit. Unfortunately, some people are.

FFS, I’m not rationalizing any fucking thing. I guess we’re at the point where we’re not allowed to try to figure out what the other side meant by their words anymore.

FFS, you don’t have to give reasons that we know aren’t the reasons. There is no secret reasons. They are right there in the open.

ETA -you are giving reasons someone reasonable might do this. They have told you who they are. Believe them. I’m not attacking you. I’m saying you are giving them conceivable explanations that I can’t see any possible way are the actual reasons. For them. We have seen them in action.

Here’s the whole quote. You’ll see it boils down to pretty much exactly what I said.

“I’ve known her a long time, indirectly,” Trump said. “And she was always of Indian heritage, and she was only promoting Indian heritage. I did not know she was Black until a number of years ago when she happened to turn Black, and now she wants to be known as Black.”
“I respect either one,” he added, “but she obviously doesn’t, because she was Indian all the way, and then all of a sudden, she made a turn and … she became Black. … Somebody should look into that, too.”
“Is she Indian or is she Black?” he asked.”

It is possible to actually assess what was said, determine what was meant or where it came from, and still all come to the agreement that it was bad and the candidate is bad.

Are you folks watching this “Trump Takes Questions from Black Journalists Convention”?

He is DONE.

I have never seen a bigger nose dive IN MY LIFE.

This is non-stop fodder for our “can you believe he said it” thread. Everything out of his mouth is a catastrophe.

You should know by now, it doesn’t matter what he does or says, his cult will continue to worship him.

But he’s there to “court the black vote.” This is part of the battle for the undecided voters, to gin up turnout rate, to hold down the black vote for her, etc.

I turned it on for a minute and that is all I could stand listening to him. When did journalists stop pushing back on known lies. Don’t let him continue to lie without some pushback. Unfreaking believable.

There is a scene in Back to the Future Part II where Marty confronts Biff and they are talking about when Biff killed his father. Big says “Kid I own the police”. Just sub the word media and you will understand more.

https://i0.wp.com/boingboing.net/wp-content/uploads/2024/07/1697cbCOMIC-news-behind-the-scenes.jpg?resize=930%2C1382&ssl=1

from Wikipedia:

“The vast majority of Jamaicans are of Sub-Saharan African descent…”

She is an American with half her ancestry tracing back to Africa. She’s not pretending to be an African American in any way. Worst political line of attack ever. If that’s the best they have, Trump is doomed.