Guns in the states

Not sure why there is mention of a ‘Trumpy State’ vs a ‘Good state’… //

Probably because of this??? See any resemblance to Trumpy states and gun deaths?? You cherry picked out some cities in a discussion about states, so here is your why;

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1380025/us-gun-violence-rate-by-state/

I don’t have a paid subscription care to share the visual?

Give me a shout when you come to Nashville. You might see some wanna be tough guy walking around with a gun on their hip.

In regarding the comment on neighborhoods and regular gunshots - I live on the north side which has been going through gentrification for a number of years, but it’s a regular occurrence on the Nextdoor app and the Ring doorbell app to see “Was that gunshots or fireworks?” posts.

Speaking of NextDoor, a recurring theme, at least where I am, is people posting things on ND like **“my Ring camera caught a man wearing a nametag and carrying a clipboard come to my door and he stood there for 19 seconds” or “a car drove by our house slowly” or “someone driving by was taking pictures of houses.” **Every single time many people will respond with things like “he was probably casing your house to come back later to rob you or worse.” Our town has low crime IMO and we simply don’t have people breaking into random houses to assault people or worse, yet these people constantly act like this is the norm. What we do have is people selling things door-to-door, realtors and appraisers taking pictures of comps, and similar things. When people say they didn’t go to their door when some likely salesperson came by others will say “I’m glad you trusted your gut. Your gut is never wrong. You’re lucky to be alive.” They are constantly stoking fear and, personally, I think that that’s no way to live.

Many of these same scared of their own shadow people are also vocal proud gun owners who claim that their guns will protect them from all of these perceived threats. The real problem is that some of them apparently also feel they have the right to shoot someone if they’re “scared” of them. If someone (perhaps someone of a “scary” race that’s not your own) goes to your door to sell pest control services that does not give you the right to shoot them simply because you’re scared, obviously. If a person has a “reasonable” fear of imminent bodily injury that would be different.

No, I don’t think that all gun owners are bad people. I own some guns that are locked in a safe and never used (I’m planning to take them out of circulation soon.) I do believe the statistic that guns that are kept in the home are much more likely to wind up being used on an innocent person (accidental discharge, DV, child access, theft, suicide, etc.) than they are to be used in legitimate self-protection. And anecdotes are not statistical evidence. Of course there are instances of legit self-protection, but they’re fairly rare.

Yes,** that’s **the other side of it. Though here, it’s sometimes people were on porch because they are drunk tourists at the wrong house at 3AM. (Actually happened at my house). More likely, those notices are a person trying to steal something from the back yard/shed. We don’t get many salesmen in the wee hours of the night.

Probably because of this??? See any resemblance to Trumpy states and gun deaths?? You cherry picked out some cities in a discussion about states, so here is your why;

So, we have a foreigner asking about traveling throughout the US and avoiding being the victim of a gun crime. My advice is to avoid specific areas in specific cities to reduce the chances of being a victim. That’s my advice.

You, Chappy, Skuj (et al) give the advice to avoid ‘’Trumpy states”. I’ll stick with my advice. I follow my own advice and avoid high crime areas in those cities. I also travel through Wyoming without reservation though it’s (presumably) a ‘Trumpy State’.

I’ve yet to be shot at or be confronted with a gun (other than a specific personal matter when I was a kid), so it works for me. I haven’t taken the approach to avoid ‘Trumpy States’.

I offered my opinion for our visitor. You disagree. Fair enough, it happens.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm

You, Chappy, Skuj (et al) give the advice to avoid ‘’Trumpy states”.

Can you point out to me where I said that?

So, we have a foreigner asking about traveling throughout the US and avoiding being the victim of a gun crime. My advice is to avoid specific areas in specific cities to reduce the chances of being a victim. That’s my advice.

You, Chappy, Skuj (et al) give the advice to avoid ‘’Trumpy states”. I’ll stick with my advice. I follow my own advice and avoid high crime areas in those cities. I also travel through Wyoming without reservation though it’s (presumably) a ‘Trumpy State’.

I’ve yet to be shot at or be confronted with a gun (other than a specific personal matter when I was a kid), so it works for me. I haven’t taken the approach to avoid ‘Trumpy States’.

Can you please provide the number for the red states after removing urban areas. For example New Orleans and Baton Rouge are dangerous as fuck in certain areas. Same for Birmingham AL and Saint Louis MO. What I think you will find is bumblefuck in Trumpland is just as safe bumblefuck Harrisland and urban Trumpland is just as dangerous as urban Harrisland but people are too disingenuous to acknowledge that fact.

I said it. And I stand by it.

Well considering you’re a fucking Canadian…

…continue, please!

…continue, please!

Oh don’t want to reply to the other post that calls your data bullshit I see.

As to being Canadian your views on the US should be given the due weight owed

Can you please provide the number for the red states after removing urban areas. For example New Orleans and Baton Rouge are dangerous as fuck in certain areas. Same for Birmingham AL and Saint Louis MO. What I think you will find is bumblefuck in Trumpland is just as safe bumblefuck Harrisland and urban Trumpland is just as dangerous as urban Harrisland but people are too disingenuous to acknowledge that fact.

Ok. Fine.

Why are we playing the “removing areas” game? A State and it’s overall population is just that, no?

…continue, please!

So the CDC data is bullshit? (Gee, where have I heard that one before?)

And Canadians cannot comment accurately on the US? Got it!!

Ok. Fine.

Why are we playing the “removing areas” game? A State and it’s overall population is just that, no?

We aren’t removing areas but normalizing data troglodyte. i.e. compare bumblefucks in each state to urban areas in each state

…continue, please!

So the CDC data is bullshit? (Gee, where have I heard that one before?)

And Canadians cannot comment accurately on the US? Got it!!

It’s accurate for its purpose but not for yours

Correct.

https://www.cdc.gov/...ortality/firearm.htm

Interesting data. The safest state in the US for gun violence, although very much safer than the worst, still has 3 times the Australian gun death rate. Hmmm. And Trumpy states are up to 33 times as high. I can understand why he asked.

https://www.cdc.gov/...ortality/firearm.htm

Interesting data. The safest state in the US for gun violence, although very much safer than the worst, still has 3 times the Australian gun death rate. Hmmm. And Trumpy states are up to 33 times as high. I can understand why he asked.

Wait…are you an Aussie?? YOU KNOW NOTHING OF THIS!!!

Generally true.

With one major exception that I can think of. Wyoming - perhaps the Trumpiest of Trumpy states - has the highest suicide rate in the country and 75% of those are committed with a gun, which is about 50% higher than the national average for suicide by gun. Wyoming also has among the highest rates of gun ownership in the country.

What are the guns that you want to get rid of?

What are the guns that you want to get rid of?

Multiple glocks. A .45, three 9mm, 10mm, and others. All in barely used condition.

What’s your address, Jim? I’ll drop them in the mail later today.

Mass shootings are incidents in which several people are victims of firearm-related violence, specifically for the purposes of this article, a total of four or more victims. A total of 754 people were killed and 2,443 other people were injured in 604 shootings. Wikipedia

Worldwide, the U.S. once again took the No. 1 spot for the most unprovoked shark bites in 2023 with 36 confirmed cases

Real facts are always fun.

Are they on California’s list of approved handguns?

https://oag.ca.gov/...fied-handguns/search

For a Glock handgun, they would have to be the 3rd Generation that began production in 1998.

California’s handgun roster was created in 2001 when the Unsafe Handgun Act went into effect. It prohibits the newest Glock 4th and 5th Generation handguns. California doesn’t want any newfangled handguns with improvements.

Of course, that law is being challenged in the Boland v. Bonta case and should be ruled as unconstitutional in the next few years.