Family SUV recommendations

Go look at the Honda Odyssey , this van can do it all from mountain travel, snow , dirt , beach. Home Depot and the local garden shop, camping etc.

You name it, Perfect all around vehicle.

Go look at the Honda Odyssey , this van can do it all from mountain travel, snow , dirt , beach. Home Depot and the local garden shop, camping etc.

You name it, Perfect all around vehicle.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/409c5574-6a27-4828-821b-6bb4f008d139

I put 250,000 miles on my Highlander before selling it. It ran very reliably.
It had a 3rd row seat.

I’d highly recommend it as a family SUV.

I put 250,000 miles on my Highlander before selling it. It ran very reliably.
It had a 3rd row seat.

I’d highly recommend it as a family SUV.

The highlander hybrid is definitely on our short list.

However, I worry about Toyota’s continued reliability. I know several folks with newer Toyota’s and they don’t seem as bomb proof as they used to be.

Subaru Forester. Can fit two kids, a big dog and a pile of stuff

Love my Honda Pilot!

My wife and I both have Pilots and we love them. They are reliable and comfortable, and get good mileage. My wife’s is a 2016 and gets about 27 mph on the highway.

The new Santa Fe is a nice looking vehicle. First I’m seeing it.

I don’t mind it from the front. From behind it’s awful.

And it’s a lot bigger.

That’s what she said.

I have the Highlander hybrid. Thing is a tank. It is very unremarkable but just works. I have the V6 they discontinued though (2017). Gets good mileage considering.

I’m getting ready to hand it down to a teenager in the next year and as much as it’s not fancy in any way- I can’t really figure out something that meets my needs better.

The new (19+) Highlanders are the same platform as the 20+ Siennas. I think they got rid of the V6 for a large turbo 4 in 23+. I think new ones are either the 2.4L turbo 4 or a 2.5L hybrid 4. I’d still pick a Sienna :wink:

I would be leery of Toyotas in their first year after a major redesign. That isn’t an issue with the Highlander. It has proven reliability.

The new Santa Fe is a nice looking vehicle. First I’m seeing it.

I don’t mind it from the front. From behind it’s awful.

And it’s a lot bigger.

That’s what she said.

My reviews are more like that of the Honda Fit. Small and oddly shaped at first look but surprisingly fun to operate and fits in spaces other vehicles won’t.

The Grand Highlander and Lexus TX counterpart are fun “imposter minivans”. We opted for the TX 500h and it’s great. We preferred the Grand Highlander just because the car is going to get abused by kids so why spend the money but they weren’t available in hybrid for awhile.

Toyota Sienna. All 21+ are hybrids that get 45mpg+

An Outback is probably perfect, but not fuel efficient (30-40mpg)

I’m guessing an E-Class All Terrain is too nice
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/images/2024-mercedes-benz-e-class-103-64f2208293e41.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.920xh;0,0.0801xh&resize=1200:*

What Toyota siennas get 45+??? You had me all excited but I looked them up and I see 36/36/36mpg

Toyota Sienna. All 21+ are hybrids that get 45mpg+

An Outback is probably perfect, but not fuel efficient (30-40mpg)

I’m guessing an E-Class All Terrain is too nice
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/images/2024-mercedes-benz-e-class-103-64f2208293e41.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.920xh;0,0.0801xh&resize=1200:*

What Toyota siennas get 45+??? You had me all excited but I looked them up and I see 36/36/36mpg

It’s been a while since I had one. I know you could get low to mid 40s on a single tank, but my wife took care of tracking the economy of it.

+1 for the wagon.

one of my favorite cars ever was my 325 xiT e46. my wife and i are likely buying a 2028 golf alltrack on monday.

the same space as a SUV (sometimes more) without the bulk, and drives/handles way better.

look into the ford maverick too. 45mpg and has enough trunk space for those who want to carry equipment, but not want a heavy v6 or 8.

if i drove more than 5km a year, i would consider a hybrid or newer vehicle, but for how little we drive, the 2018 alltrack hits all the spots.

The car charger at home plug is same as washer dryer plug. Don’t have that, about $300 to install. Full charge in 6-8 hours. If you aren’t hitting more than 200 miles driving a day it’s worth going EV (also if you don’t live in extreme cold weather)

Toyota Sienna

Honda Odyssey

These are the two correct answers.

There is no SUV that is nearly as practical with kids as one of these minivans.

The car charger at home plug is same as washer dryer plug. Don’t have that, about $300 to install. Full charge in 6-8 hours. If you aren’t hitting more than 200 miles driving a day it’s worth going EV (also if you don’t live in extreme cold weather)

It’s a bit more complex for us. We have a narrow single driveway with retaining walls on either side. I use the driveway for my truck as I’ve converted my garage in to my shop, so, I’m always bringing stuff in/out and my wife parks on the street. I do have plans to widen the driveway, but that will be done in conjunction with other things like redoing the perimeter drains and will be a pretty major endeavor. So we do plan to add an EV charger but not at this point.

I drive a Buick enclave and like it (my wife wouldn’t let me get a mini van).

I think it’s the lowest priced car that has “captains chairs” in the second row.

Why not just wait for the BMW M5 Touring? Coming soon to Canada. It’s only like $140k.

Why not just wait for the BMW M5 Touring? Coming soon to Canada. It’s only like $140k.

Because I’m a fan of using turn signals.