Family SUV recommendations

Our trusty Mazda cx-9 unexpectedly kicked the bucket today and we are in the unfortunate position of having to buy a new vehicle on short notice. 2 young kids in different daycares/summer camps and two working parents means we need to get something reasonably quickly.

I wasn’t planning on replacing that vehicle for another 5ish years so haven’t really kept a pulse on the car market. We are looking to more or less replace it with something of similar size (Toyota hilander, Hyundai Santa Fe xl, etc). It will be the family shit kicker between the kids and a husky so not looking for something particularly extravagant. Hybrid would be great but not necessary, not really looking at full EV given the circumstances and needing to get a car charger installed as well.

I would be grateful for any recommendations to look in to.

Love my Honda Pilot!

Ram 1500 or Ford 150

Great modern day station wagons.

We have a Highlander Hybrid and are very happy with it. Also a Tesla Model Y if you did decide to go the electric route. For most people, it’s fine if you have another car for out of town trips that you don’t want to hassle with the charging. And if it costs $1,000 to put in a charger, you’ll make that back in gas savings within six months.

Love my Honda Pilot!

This.

drn92

Ram 1500 or Ford 150

Great modern day station wagons.

This will be the wife’s daily driver, and I already have a truck for work/longer haul trips. No way we are getting another truck!

Wife just picked up a 2024 Kia Telluride for 45K. I think you’d be hard-pressed to find something of that quality at that price point. If you’re looking for a midsize, the Kia Sorrento is worth looking at.

Love my Honda Pilot!

I was going to say that I’ve heard good things about the Pilot.

Wife just picked up a 2024 Kia Telluride for 45K. I think you’d be hard-pressed to find something of that quality at that price point. If you’re looking for a midsize, the Kia Sorrento is worth looking at.

Is the new Santa Fe as large as the Telluride?

My nephew’s wife has the Kia Telluride and she loves it. My nephew‘s wife has the Kia Telluride and she loves it. Plenty of room for two kids, plus H’s walker/wheelchair.

My understanding is that Kia and Hyundai are sister companies (whatever that actually means). The size equivalents are:

Kia Sportage = Hyundai Tuscon
Kia Sorento = Hyundai Santa Fe
Kia Telluride = Hyundai Palisade

So, likely not. But it looks dramatically different.

I’ve never heard anyone complain about the Telluride. People rave about it.

The new Santa Fe is a nice looking vehicle. First I’m seeing it.

The new Santa Fe is a nice looking vehicle. First I’m seeing it.

I don’t mind it from the front. From behind it’s awful.

And it’s a lot bigger.

If I were in the market for a family SUV I would pretty much only be looking at a Telluride.

I thinking the Hyundai equivalent is the Palisade.

Both are $60-70k here, plus 12% tax…

One size smaller is the Hyundai Santa Fe xl or Kia Sorento. I think that’s more or less the size of the Mazda cx-9.

My understanding is that Kia and Hyundai are sister companies (whatever that actually means). The size equivalents are:

Kia Sportage = Hyundai Tuscon
Kia Sorento = Hyundai Santa Fe
Kia Telluride = Hyundai Palisade

So, likely not. But it looks dramatically different.

I’ve never heard anyone complain about the Telluride. People rave about it.

I’ve heard great things about the telluride and palisade. We actually looked at a Santa Fe XL when we were shopping for the Mazda. I liked the Santa Fe more than the cx-9, but the sales team at Hyundai were useless.

Acura RDX?

In the states the lower trim Tellurides are in the upper 30k’s and every soccer mom wants one.

But if it were me I would get the EV9 which is basically an EV Telluride. The are heavily discounted, but still run about $12 k more.

I need to preface this that I’m a huge petrolhead and so like fun vehicles or very purposeful ones. Sounds like you’re looking for something practical for the family which makes sense. I just helped a friend who’s going through a divorce and therefore losing her luxury SUV to look for a new, more affordable SUV - they all are pretty boring, but practical, though some more boring than others. I think we looked at everything except domestic models. Summary:

• Honda Pilot - reasonable size. Good reputation for reliability. Has a third row. A large part of me died inside driving it.
  • Toyota Highlander - It’s a Toyota. Even she thought it was too boring. I would likely divorce or park it running in the garage with the door closed if I was forced to buy that.
  • 2024 Hyundai Santa Fe - Has a very nice interior with decent exterior styling. Drives like a boring SUV but looks cool’ish. High up on the list.
  • VW Atlas - I was always a huge VW fan but how in the hell did they make this so boring with such a Playmobil interior. It has an engine and brakes which both are shit. We both thought it sucked but friends love theirs.
  • Audi Q5 - yes, they can be expensive but Audi is massively overstocked and so there seems to be some big deals on them especially at lower trim levels. The Audi guy keeps texting and suggesting lower prices, it’s getting unseemly.
  • Mazda - drove all their SUVs of various size. CX 90/70 was very impressive. Beautiful interiors and felt and drove like a much more expensive vehicle. Mazda’s first big SUV so maybe can get a deal. I liked this one.
  • Acura MDX - Honda Pilot with nicer stuff and a better ride and so costs more. My parents have one and it’s been trouble free which is what I wanted for them.
  • Lexus - She recoiled in horror at the exterior styling so we never drove any. It’s a Toyota with a big grill and nicer finishes.

I’m sure there’s a bunch I’ve missed or have blocked out and that will only surface with intense therapy or hallucinogens. But let me know if you have any specific questions! I think it’s a good time to be shopping, lots of inventory (except for Toyota) and they seem willing to at least discuss price.

In the states the lower trim Tellurides are in the upper 30k’s and every soccer mom wants one.

But if it were me I would get the EV9 which is basically an EV Telluride. The are heavily discounted, but still run about $12 k more.

It’s pretty crazy how expensive cars are here, especially considering our wages are generally lower and taxation higher.

Used 3 year old Tellurides with 30-40,000km are going for $45k here. $30k is getting you a 5+ year old vehicle.