Family SUV recommendations

You nailed it, we are essentially looking for a minivan with the styling of an SUV that appeals to the soccer mom demographic. I appreciate performance but need to be practical. Also, my daily driver is a 3/4 ton diesel truck that is about as nimble as a cruise ship, so, even the most gutless of mommy mobiles feels zippy to me.

If it were me I’d have no problem just getting a Honda Odyssey or something for the family vehicle. Those things are sweet on family road trips.

You nailed it, we are essentially looking for a minivan with the styling of an SUV that appeals to the soccer mom demographic.

Purely based on this it sounds like you want a Kia Carnival.

Honda pilot my friend

You nailed it, we are essentially looking for a minivan with the styling of an SUV that appeals to the soccer mom demographic. I appreciate performance but need to be practical. Also, my daily driver is a 3/4 ton diesel truck that is about as nimble as a cruise ship, so, even the most gutless of mommy mobiles feels zippy to me.

If it were me I’d have no problem just getting a Honda Odyssey or something for the family vehicle. Those things are sweet on family road trips.

Why not get a minivan? They’re cheaper than SUVs

The Telluride love is…interesting. I know several people who had them and either then jettisoned them in short order or continue to bitch about them saying they wished they had bought something else

You may be shocked at the space availability and third row comfort of a Toyota Sienna. Definitely check it out. I was in this market 13 years ago and nothing that was all wheel drive compared to the Sienna (Honda Odyssey is two wheel drive).
120k miles and still running perfectly.

Car and Driver: 10/10

2024 Kia Telluride Review, Pricing, and Specs (caranddriver.com)

U.S. News and World Reports: 9.4/10

Motor Trend: 8.9/10

2023 Kia Telluride Prices, Reviews, and Photos - MotorTrend

What are the complaints you’re hearing? It doesn’t sound like they’re widely shared concerns.

I believe 20,000 of them are being recalled in Canada for spontaneously catching on fire.

Aside from that, they seem pretty sweet…

Crybabies.

What are the complaints you’re hearing? It doesn’t sound like they’re widely shared concerns.

Cheap feeling…electronics not as good as other vehicles…handles like shit in the snow…too plastic

I believe 20,000 of them are being recalled in Canada for spontaneously catching on fire.

That’s just a snow removal feature

Cheap feeling…electronics not as good as other vehicles…handles like shit in the snow…too plastic

When we bought the Mazda 7 years ago, we test drove the Hyundai Santa Fe and the Kia Sorento. As sphere mentioned these are sister companies that share the same platform, engines etc. we couldn’t believe how much cheaper the Kia felt compared to the Hyundai. I figured maybe things had improved since then, but maybe they haven’t.

It was happening in people’s garages!

To your other responses, I’d be all for a minivan. However, this is my wife’s daily driver. Good luck convincing her.

That being said, I could probably guilt her in to it seeing as her lack of scheduled maintenance likely lead to the early demise of the Mazda.

It was happening in people’s garages!

To your other responses, I’d be all for a minivan. However, this is my wife’s daily driver. Good luck convincing her.

That being said, I could probably guilt her in to it seeing as her lack of scheduled maintenance likely lead to the early demise of the Mazda.

It is just supplemental home heating for those cold nights

Remind me not to use the snowy conditions mode.

Toyota Sienna. All 21+ are hybrids that get 45mpg+

An Outback is probably perfect, but not fuel efficient (30-40mpg)

I’m guessing an E-Class All Terrain is too nice
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/images/2024-mercedes-benz-e-class-103-64f2208293e41.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.920xh;0,0.0801xh&resize=1200:*

Ram 1500 or Ford 150

Great modern day station wagons.

This will be the wife’s daily driver, and I already have a truck for work/longer haul trips. No way we are getting another truck!

That’s why I suggested the 1500 rather than a 2500/3500.

I take it your wife’s not a “car guy (person)”, given the inattention to maintenance on the Mazda that you mentioned. So a performance vehicle isn’t a high priority on her list? That eliminates the Euro station wagons (like the cool Merc, just posted), and others.

Volvo SUV? Neighbors just got one (for the wife’s daily driver). It’s got some nice “female appreciation” touches, like a central console designed to fit a woman’s handbag. And Volvo’s got a great reputation for safety. Because, other drivers out there are maniacs.

I have the Highlander hybrid. Thing is a tank. It is very unremarkable but just works. I have the V6 they discontinued though (2017). Gets good mileage considering.

I’m getting ready to hand it down to a teenager in the next year and as much as it’s not fancy in any way- I can’t really figure out something that meets my needs better.

What happened? Low oil warning ignored?

The turboed engine on my cx-30 burns oil is why i ask. There is a class action settlement but not a recall. I am undecided if i want to pursue the exhaust valve guide replacement that is supposed to be the fix. Having built a few older engines I’m not sure I want them tearing into my engine just to do that. More harm than good worries.

I believe the cx-9 also has the same turboed engine