Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did once doing yard work. Leaning over a short wall picking up something heavier than I expected.

The good news is I got faster in swimming after I recovered.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [toj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toj wrote:
I just pulled up an old swim video and it looks like he breathes to the right and the injury is on his left. I'll have to re-watch the video... not 100% sure if he positively did it through swimming... there was a quick reference to lifting when he was on a massage table and Erin was "scraping" his back/ribs. Ray

From all the discussion in the beginning, it certainly sounded like he felt pretty certain that he did it swimming. In the first 5 min or so, he talks about going too hard in the pool the day right after the race, and then again 2 days later, again the next day, etc. I heard the lifting comment but that seemed kind of like just a reference to past lifting and to the point that he would not be doing any lifting any time soon b/c he was having his muscles "scraped".

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [MtbTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MtbTri wrote:
I strained an intercostal last year swimming around this same time. Over did it on a swim set. Next morning I couldn’t even get out of bed or bend at the waist.

I was back on the bike in 1.5 weeks on the trainer. Run took almost 3 weeks. I tried around 2 weeks but the second my foot made impact my entire rib cage just felt like someone was squeezing me.

Scott

Wout van Aert broke his collar bone, sternum and 7 ribs (broke them, so no stress reaction but much worse) and was biking indoors after 2 weeks and outdoors after 3 weeks. I understand they want to be cautious but I would be bike/running 30h/week
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
So how exactly does one get a stress fracture in a rib?

Yes and from swimming. He had to have hit something, but didn't feel it cause of the adrenaline during racing
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
So how exactly does one get a stress fracture in a rib?

Yes and from swimming. He had to have hit something, but didn't feel it cause of the adrenaline during racing

https://journals.aiac.org.au/...SS/article/view/4580

"Rib stress fractures appear as the most common stress fracture in competitive swimmers that clinicians should consider."
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Nillsvdb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'd be amazed what you can do to your chest cavity and how debilitating it can be. Been dealing with some inflamed cartilage for almost 8 weeks now. Not only will it not go away, but any instance where I overdo sets me back. Sometimes overuse injuries, while less severe, actually are harder to heal than acute injuries like broken ribs.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man if it’s anything like what I had, it hurt like a mofo for a solid 8 weeks. My xray was clean and never went for a mri but pretty sure I fractured a rib loosening my pedals to ship my bike (lol). I was using my body weight and felt something pop. Couldn’t sleep, couldn’t breathe, etc. Luckily it lined up with my offseason but it was super uncomfortable.

I definitely could have exercised but I think there’s always the question of, sure I can, but is it going to drag this out or potentially reinjure it. Sounds like he’s playing it conservative. He was pretty conservative with his sacrum too. Real bummer when he seemed to be showing progress.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply

Prev Next