Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture
Quote | Reply
Oh noooooo!!
https://www.tri247.com/...s-barclay-hip-injury

She was destined to have such a great (at least I think so). This sucks and yes sport can be really really tough. I hope she recovers quickly and comes back stronger than ever!!

Damn…….:(((((((((((

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely sucks.

She'll be back for the 2nd half of the season

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching


Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
Oh noooooo!!
https://www.tri247.com/...s-barclay-hip-injury

She was destined to have such a great (at least I think so). This sucks and yes sport can be really really tough. I hope she recovers quickly and comes back stronger than ever!!

Damn…….:(((((((((((
Bummer for her. Some discussion on this thread: Lucy isn't showing up on start lists and is pretty quiet on SM Opens up St George where she was set to dominate.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
TizzleDK wrote:
Oh noooooo!!
https://www.tri247.com/...s-barclay-hip-injury

She was destined to have such a great (at least I think so). This sucks and yes sport can be really really tough. I hope she recovers quickly and comes back stronger than ever!!

Damn…….:(((((((((((
Bummer for her. Some discussion on this thread: Lucy isn't showing up on start lists and is pretty quiet on SM Opens up St George where she was set to dominate.

Bummer indeed, for her and the fans. She is box office. I hope she gets back soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Theses been something wrong with her for a while now if you follow her socials.

And even someone on here said she hasn’t been entering races or on entry lists for a long time.

I suspect this is from a while ago and she almost already better.

Still won’t race st george but the time line doesn’t match up right.

Still totally suck for her and her team.

Lucky she is young

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
And even someone on here said she hasn’t been entering races or on entry lists for a long time.

I suspect this is from a while ago and she almost already better.
Still won’t race st george but the time line doesn’t match up right.
If she can recover quickly, she can switch her focus to Sub8 (early June) against Nicola Spirig.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She says she's out of sub 8-- says it 'out of the question'
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very unfortunate, for sure. I've known several athletes with hip stress fractures (sf's) and i've had 3 foot sf's. It is challenging to stay off of it but there are actually lots of exercises that can be done safely to preserve fitness/strength early on and more after a few weeks. She needs to talk to her docs about choices of exercises-and preferably a sports doc who knows who she is and what level.

One of my friends was doing very aggressive water running after the first 2 weeks-and continued it for a month after. Didn't lose any fitness really at all. If I remember, he had a PR at his event a few months later. He also did swimming with a PB that started a week or two after his diagnosis. He made sure there was absolutely no kick motion as that can delay healing.

Another thing that is hard for most of us is weight gain when you take out the big number of exercise calories that you lose and the adjustment that must be made...

One thing she definitely doesn't quite understand is that is simply an 'overuse' injury. Mental stressors do NOT affect the bone. That aspect can affect a lot of things, but it will clearly not cause a stress fracture.

She should be back to training at ~6-8 weeks and if done right, without too much loss of fitness. It may take another 6-8 weeks of graduated training to get back to her prior fitness level.

I wish her the very best.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
She says she's out of sub 8-- says it 'out of the question'
Will Nicola Spririg still do it then? Who else (ie a replacement)?
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ugh, I'm always sorry to hear when people get fractures :-(

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:

Another thing that is hard for most of us is weight gain when you take out the big number of exercise calories that you lose and the adjustment that must be made...

I don't know if it's the case for Lucy but often times RED-S and low body fat contribute to the cause of SFX, especially in women, so gaining weight during recovery can be a good thing sometimes.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
April fools joke???
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [TakeYourTime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, it was released on March the 31st.

Bummer.

As a side note: would expecting LCB to have said something earlier, rather than going quiet for no apparent reason, have been too much? It's almost like she's only going to post positive material. Even an injury is about "the road to recovery" for her - not about everything else associated with an injury that is, you know, bad. It's a very very polished way to run a vlog. It's obviously Lucy's right to run the vlog the way she sees fit. (No pun intended).
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
As a side note: would expecting LCB to have said something earlier, rather than going quiet for no apparent reason, have been too much? It's almost like she's only going to post positive material. Even an injury is about "the road to recovery" for her - not about everything else associated with an injury that is, you know, bad. It's a very very polished way to run a vlog. It's obviously Lucy's right to run the vlog the way she sees fit. (No pun intended).

Stress fracture only came up very recently. Reece had a heart scare earlier in the year which was the real reason for going so quiet. Stress of that probably didn't help Lucy's hip
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [Polo_1272] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reece did not look good in that vlog, looked skinny and ill in the short footage of him training.

Is the heart issue confirmed? If so I would imagine they kept quiet not just for the medical reasons, but also because it is guaranteed to lead to conversation over vaccines etc and that is dodgy ground for everyone, especially professional athletes who make their money from sport and sponsors.

Edit. It did seem at first that she was suggesting mental stress contributed, but then she did add that she might have suffered some trauma in training.
Last edited by: ianmo80: Apr 1, 22 0:49
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianmo80 wrote:
Is the heart issue confirmed?.


Yes, Reece put up a post on his insta yesterday. He says things are better and he has returned to training. He mentions being investigated for 'AF' and 'HCM' in the comments, I'm sure that will mean something to those more knowledgeable!

edit: My first thought on hearing the news was how the diet chnages they made last hear could have affected such a hip issue. I never watched that particular video so don't know what they ended up changing, and I'll guess we'll never know for sure, but thought the timing of such an injury was interesting
Last edited by: Polo_1272: Apr 1, 22 3:01
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [Polo_1272] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Polo_1272 wrote:
Stress fracture only came up very recently. Reece had a heart scare earlier in the year which was the real reason for going so quiet. Stress of that probably didn't help Lucy's hip


Oh, I had no idea. That sucks. Neither of them deserves this...

I've been following Richard Murray's and TO's "heart scares". They took it like true champs but of course couldn't conceal their anxiety if they tried. Hopefully there's a straight road in front of the Charles-Barkley duo. No criticism from me whatsoever on going silent.
Last edited by: kajet: Apr 1, 22 3:00
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [Polo_1272] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Polo_1272 wrote:
ianmo80 wrote:
Is the heart issue confirmed?.


Yes, Reece put up a post on his insta yesterday. He says things are better and he has returned to training. He mentions being investigated for 'AF' and 'HCM' in the comments

AF=Atrial Fibrillation

HCM=Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [Polo_1272] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Polo_1272 wrote:
kajet wrote:
As a side note: would expecting LCB to have said something earlier, rather than going quiet for no apparent reason, have been too much? It's almost like she's only going to post positive material. Even an injury is about "the road to recovery" for her - not about everything else associated with an injury that is, you know, bad. It's a very very polished way to run a vlog. It's obviously Lucy's right to run the vlog the way she sees fit. (No pun intended).


Stress fracture only came up very recently. Reece had a heart scare earlier in the year which was the real reason for going so quiet. Stress of that probably didn't help Lucy's hip

just watched the video - she seems pretty broken up about it. really sucks for both of them, for sure.

2022 - an already stranger year - gets stranger again. lucy's not just fast but plays such an important role in driving race dynamics. her absence changes the race dynamics massively.

____________________________________
https://lshtm.academia.edu/MikeCallaghan

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
One thing she definitely doesn't quite understand is that is simply an 'overuse' injury. Mental stressors do NOT affect the bone. That aspect can affect a lot of things, but it will clearly not cause a stress fracture.

ArmchairMD diagnosis aside...

Mental stress won't break a bone, but mental stress leading to careless workouts/form can contribute.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
dtoce wrote:

One thing she definitely doesn't quite understand is that is simply an 'overuse' injury. Mental stressors do NOT affect the bone. That aspect can affect a lot of things, but it will clearly not cause a stress fracture.


ArmchairMD diagnosis aside...

Mental stress won't break a bone, but mental stress leading to careless workouts/form can contribute.

I would guess that 'careless workouts' could lead to this, but it doesn't seem likely that her bio-mechanics suddenly deteriorated. Much more commonly, lots and lots of workouts lead to sf's (and bad luck).......and occur more frequently with certain additional risk factors.

*Established risk factors for Stress Fractures
Prior stress fracture
Poor bone health (osteopenia and osteoporosis)
Substantial increase in intensity or volume of activity (eg, military boot camp)
Decreased physical fitness (poor muscle strength or endurance)
Dietary disorders (eg, insufficient calcium intake, vitamin D deficiency, eating disorders)
Family history of osteopenia or osteoporosis
Poor running biomechanics
Female gender
Menstrual irregularity in females
Low body mass index
Prolonged glucocorticoid use
Older age

Factors of uncertain risk
Shoe type; Worn-out shoes
Running surface
Foot anatomy (eg, extreme high arch)
Muscle inflexibility

The combination of low energy availability (with or without an eating disorder), menstrual irregularity, and low bone mineral density comprises the "female athlete triad" and places a woman at greatly increased risk of stress fractures. Even women without the entire syndrome but with an elevated female athlete triad cumulative risk score demonstrate an increased risk for developing bone stress injuries.

I do not know her at all and do not know what other things are going on. I don't read their instagram and don't follow pro athletes on social media. It is good that her bone mass is normal. It is bad that she now is at risk for future sf's.


I'll go back to my (arm)chair and get some popcorn for the next round-
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
2022 - an already stranger year - gets stranger again. lucy's not just fast but plays such an important role in driving race dynamics. her absence changes the race dynamics massively.
Weird. If Charles is not out in front, who of the likely top ten will be leading before the long climb to Veyo in May (or to Hawi in October)? Ryf?
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianmo80 wrote:
Reece did not look good in that vlog, looked skinny and ill in the short footage of him training.

Is the heart issue confirmed? If so I would imagine they kept quiet not just for the medical reasons, but also because it is guaranteed to lead to conversation over vaccines etc and that is dodgy ground for everyone, especially professional athletes who make their money from sport and sponsors.

Edit. It did seem at first that she was suggesting mental stress contributed, but then she did add that she might have suffered some trauma in training.

What is the controversy over vaccines? I haven’t watched the video yet, are they not vaccinated/suggesting the vaccine may have contributed to the issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cherry_bomb wrote:
ianmo80 wrote:
Reece . . . Is the heart issue confirmed? If so I would imagine they kept quiet not just for the medical reasons, but also because it is guaranteed to lead to conversation over vaccines etc and that is dodgy ground for everyone, especially professional athletes who make their money from sport and sponsors.


What is the controversy over vaccines? I haven’t watched the video yet, are they not vaccinated/suggesting the vaccine may have contributed to the issue?
No there was no mention of vaccination. I can only think Ian is vaguely pulling the reported (and rare) COVID vaccine side effects involving the heart into this space.
https://www.health.gov.au/...id-19-vaccines_1.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like I said; in my opinion the two current reasons they wouldn’t talk about heart issues are because of the usual medical reasons but also because every heart case now in sport draws conversations on vaccine side effects.

No conspiracies, just some speculation why he’d keep it quiet based on why I would.
Quote Reply

Prev Next